The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 14, 2017, 02:33 PM   #1
SGW Gunsmith

NEW Ruger Mark I, II & III Firing Pin Style

The previous Ruger Mark pistol "stamped" firing pins are now obsolete! I've been testing one of the new style firing pin in three Ruger Mark pistols, using CCI Mini-Mags:

Two Ruger Mark II's and one Ruger Mark III:

All totaled I fired 50 rounds of CCI Mini-Mags from each pistol using the same new style firing pin in each pistols bolt.

The tip of the new style firing pin has a much better shape to it and it hits the rim in a very precise position that provides for the best detonation possible:

Here are a few of the spent cases I was able to dig out of the snow:

While I'm at it here, there's another thing I'd like to point out that doesn't get much ink in any of the Ruger Mark pistol forums, and something I've noticed during the 45+ years I've been involved with these Ruger Mark pistols. Check out the bottom of the front plate on your recoil spring assembly.
This front half-moon plate is a stamping that is often found to have some hellacious roll-over smears from the stamping process:

Here's the comparison of the 'old' and 'new' style firing pins:

The bottom edge of the new firing pin has much less bearing surface that ride along the bottom face of the recoil spring from plate:

See those shiny marks on the front bottom? That's from the top of the firing pin rubbing against the bottom of that plate. So what? Well, the roughness involved with those burrs will slow down the forward velocity of the firing pin after the hammer hit, and in some conditions where gunk has built up on that rough face, produce erratic firing pin hits.
Now this plate also acts as a control to keep the firing pin from rearing upward during its travel forward and into the case rim. but we do want the firing pin to have a smooth, and consistent trip forward.
So, using a smooth cut file and then #600 emery paper, I like to file and then smooth as little metal away to make it as smooth as possible but without removing a whole lot of metal.
Old January 14, 2017, 02:45 PM   #2
Pilot

Do you make these new firing pins? I have three Ruger MK II's. They all function reliably without many misfires which I have always believed was due to the bulk .22 ammo I often use.
Old January 14, 2017, 06:27 PM   #3
SGW Gunsmith

No, these are what I'm now getting from Ruger when I order and stock Ruger Mark I, II & III firing pins. When I got the first batch in, I just wanted to test 'em and see how they perform, so I can be confident my customers are getting a good firing pin for a replacement. I feel, from my testing that they surpass the performance of the older, flat, stamped previous offering.

I will continue to test this one firing pin to see how it gets through some of the lower end bulk ammunition, where some folks claim to have had light hits. I really like the job the firing pin tip does with the CCI Mini-Mags, even though those are my go-to rounds for testing .22 firearms.

Next test will involve some bulk packaged .22 rimfire, like Federal Auto-mag and even some of the "dreaded" Remington Thunderbolts that create "shivers" for some folks.
Old January 15, 2017, 10:18 AM   #4
g.willikers

I wasn't aware of the change.
Thanks for the post.
Old January 15, 2017, 11:04 AM   #5
Rogervzv

I use the Volquartsen firing pin and extractor. These are very high quality from a superb and reliable company. Normally the Ruger parts are fine, but the VQ parts are superb so if you are having extraction problems these will about always fix you up.

https://volquartsen.com/inventory_configurations/753
Old February 9, 2017, 11:17 PM   #6
243winxb

Good info. Ty
Old February 10, 2017, 09:09 AM   #7
Skans

Yes, good info - now I'm going to want to replace the one in my Mark II.
Old February 11, 2017, 12:24 PM   #8
rt11002003

Now I'll have to replace the firing pins in my four Mk's. m/b when I clean them?

Thanks for the info.
Old February 12, 2017, 04:26 PM   #9
Snyper

If either of my 35-40 year old MKII's ever fail, I'll be sure to get the new style replacement.

It hasn't happened yet though.
Old February 12, 2017, 06:01 PM   #10
Rogervzv

Quote:
If either of my 35-40 year old MKII's ever fail, I'll be sure to get the new style replacement.

It hasn't happened yet though.
The Volquartsen Mark / 10/22 firing pins are very high quality and superior to the OEM pins.
Old February 13, 2017, 10:11 AM   #11
Snyper

Quote:
The Volquartsen Mark / 10/22 firing pins are very high quality and superior to the OEM pins.
It can't really be "superior" to "hasn't failed in 40 years".
Old February 13, 2017, 01:08 PM   #12
SGW Gunsmith

I'm not a collector, by any means, so when I do come up with enough funds to get a .22 pistol that I've been eye-balling for a while, it's usually a Ruger Mark pistol. I've been burning the "midnight oil" lately with some extra gun repair work so I can add one more Ruger to the ".22 Long Rifle burning herd". That one being the Ruger Mark IV Competition Target.

In the meantime, I want to get this pistol up to par for some .22 ammunition testing I want to get done if it ever turns from white to green around here.

I can sometimes spend the whole day shooting groups with the Ruger pistols mounted in this contraption. My feeling is, if the groups are good at 30 meters, they should be good at 50 meters also. My only challenge is to be able to hold the pistol as steady as this rest does, and group the ammunition just as well.