The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 2, 2013, 01:21 PM   #1
h518may

which ruger?

which ruger would you choose for pocket carry, the ruger lc9 or the lcr? anyone with experience with both?
Old January 2, 2013, 01:24 PM   #2
hardhat harry

Neither. I prefer the Sig P238, but that is my choice.

Apparently, either choice of the Ruger will result in unplesant range time as the recoil is rough, as reported here and other firearms forums.
Old January 2, 2013, 01:25 PM   #3
BarryLee

I have an LCR and have found it to be reliable and easy to carry. However, the LC9 obviously offers a higher caliber round, so if I could pull off pocket carry of the LC9 that is what I would get. It really boils down to which gun will be easier for you to pocket carry and how often you will actually carry it.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 2, 2013, 01:30 PM   #4
h518may

barrylee, i am not a very large guy, just around 5'8". think the lc9 would be hard to pocket carry? i personally have zero experience with pocket carry. my edc is a glock 27 iwb.
Old January 2, 2013, 02:16 PM   #5
jasmith85

I don't have any experience with the LCR but I do have an LC9. I don't find its recoil to be all that bad. I wouldn't want to spend a day at the range with it but I find it pretty comfortable to put 50 or so rounds through it. I also find it pretty easy to pocket carry. I am a fairly large person at 6' tall and 220 pounds though.
Old January 2, 2013, 02:53 PM   #6
Water-Man

I had both and now only the LCR remains.

For me, it pocket-carries nicely. The lower capacity worries me not. It has a better trigger.

The recoil is only a concern for girly-boys.
Old January 2, 2013, 06:50 PM   #7
rep1954

I carry a LC9 in my front pants pocket with a pocket holster in most of my pants. Some pants are a little tight for carry. I also carry it in a coat pocket very well. I'll be turning 60 years old this year and do not find the recoil of LC9 to be offensive. I have shot a LCR in 38spl several times and never found it offensive either but I guess recoil is subjective.
Old January 2, 2013, 07:08 PM   #8
specs

I have both LC9 and KLCR, and they both pocket carry well in the same pocket holster, and are about the same weight. I have had both guns since they were introduced and have pocket carried either one daily mostly in Wrangler relaxed fit jeans.
Recoil is not really an issue in either one, but the 357 mag will get your attention a bit. I train with 38 spec +p in the KLCR and it is no problem for me. I am 68 years old and arthritic, and recoil is, again, not really an issue for me, YMMV.
Old January 2, 2013, 07:26 PM   #9
Kreyzhorse

Pocket carry? Neither. Both are too big for pocket carry in my opinion. Personally, I'd suggest something smaller like the Ruger LCP.
Old January 2, 2013, 07:56 PM   #10
rep1954

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreyzhorse View Post
Pocket carry? Neither. Both are too big for pocket carry in my opinion. Personally, I'd suggest something smaller like the Ruger LCP.
The LCP is what I carry when the LC9 is to big.
Old January 2, 2013, 11:27 PM   #11
Merad

Quote:
Yes, this. In a De Santis Nemesis holster the LCP is basically the size and thickness of your average wallet. From what I recall comparing them side by side in store the LC9 is about 25% larger than the LCP. I don't see it really being a pocket gun unless you're wearing cargo pants or something with similarly large pockets.
Old January 3, 2013, 10:01 AM   #12
cybrnathan

I'm not into the pocket carry thing myself. I have a SR9C I carry in an IWB holster from N82 http://n82tactical.com/n82store/?page_id=3035 The most comfortable holster I have ever tried
Old January 3, 2013, 10:44 AM   #13
Tactical Jackalope

Not a pocket carrying guy either. I have shot the LCP and knew from there that we could never be friends.
Old January 3, 2013, 12:46 PM   #14
Gaerek

I have an LCR, and the recoil really isn't that bad. It's more than any of my semi's, but it's far less than any other J-Frame I've ever shot. I shot through a box of target ammo and a box of +P the other day, and the recoil wasn't an issue. The LCR is actually a fun gun to shoot. LCP on the other hand...I've shot a mag through one, and I won't shoot another one. Downright unpleasant to shoot.

I should also say, I pocket carry my LCR regularly. I use a DeSantis Nemesis. It has a bit of print to it, but not really noticeable. It's harder to pocket carry in jeans, but certainly doable. I prefer my baggier cargo pants for it, but have done it with both, no issues.

Also, the trigger on the LCR is probably one of the best, if not the best, factory trigger I've ever felt on a DA revolver. No stacking, and breaks cleanly. If you're used to a short SA trigger, the LCR will feel strange, because it is pretty heavy and long, but given it's company, it's an amazing trigger.
Old January 5, 2013, 12:02 AM   #15
tension

I have both

I should say I had both. I sold the lcr. I carry an lc9 in my jacket in winter and in cargo shorts in the summer. Best carry gun I've tried and I've tried many.
Old January 5, 2013, 02:26 AM   #16
warningshot

LCP hands down. Higher round count. Flatter, less printing. Less flash.

The crystal ball is plugged-in tonight and it says that 9mm ammo will be more plentyfull 7 years from now more than .38 Special is today. Wait! I see a man picking-up empty brass casings so no one will discover he was shooting their...
Old January 5, 2013, 04:16 PM   #17
h518may

very good food for thought, guys. i have to say, i was able to check out an lcr today and was VERY impressed w the trigger. i have been able to check out the lc9 previously. both have their pros and cons. the lcr has fewer rounds but better trigger. costs more, though. the lc9 has more rounds, and i like the position of the laser better than the lcr. however, a revolver will shoot more reliably if i have to fire thru the pocket/holster. decisions decisions!!
Old January 5, 2013, 05:44 PM   #18
shafter

I would recommend the LCR. I'd never buy one myself (purely cosemetics) but I fired one and I have to say that it's a great little gun. It fit my hand comfortably and put the bullets where I wanted them .
Old January 6, 2013, 12:13 AM   #19
weblance

I have both, and have pocket carried both. The LCR is more comfortable in the pocket, but the LC9, with more rounds available, is more comforting. I also have an LCP(hate it), and have settled on a Kel-Tec P32. I only pocket carry, so size and weight are major considerations for me. I can pocket the Kel-Tec all day comfortably, and know it will get me out of almost any situation short of full blown civil war. I carry a 10 round magazine for the P32 in my off pocket and feel that 18 rounds in such a small, light package is almost perfect.
Old January 6, 2013, 06:07 PM   #20
stantheman1976

I haven't shot the LCP but I did have a Taurus TCP which is the same size. It is a bit smaller than the LC9 but I find I can pocket carry the LC9 in just about any pocket that isn't fitted. It wouldn't be right for everyone that way but it can be dropped IWB and you almost won't know it's there.

Mine has been reliable having shot about 350-400 rounds with no malfunctions. The recoil is easy to handle and the trigger is a bit long but it's smooth.

I'm not going to get rid of it but I'd have to say honestly that if I went back in time I'd probably have gotten a M&P Shield instead.
Old January 9, 2013, 05:53 PM   #21
steveNChunter

I know the LCP wasnt one of the two you were considering but Ive gotta suggest it like some of the above posts already have. Im about 5'8" myself and I carry one with a crimson trace in a inside-the-waistband holster and can almost forget Ive got it on. No it doesnt shoot like a target pistol and it has a pretty heavy trigger but it is the definition of a concealed carry gun. Remember that comfort and concealability are two very important issues when carrying concealed. I can actually hit where i point it out to about 25 yards or so. A few rabbits and groundhogs across the yard have had their day ruined with it.

Also I have owned both the taurus TCP and ruger LCP. Ruger is hands-down my favorite. Short-stroke the trigger on that TCP one time and you will know why
Old January 9, 2013, 06:11 PM   #22
Grant D

I have a LC9.but find it large for pocket carry so I carry it in a IWB Crossbreed holster under my shirt,and a LCP in my back pocket.

It's nice to have fifteen rounds at the ready when you need them.
I put rubber grips on them both, and can shoot either one, all day at the range.
I've never handled a LCR, so I can't comment on them,but I do on occasion carry one of my four J frames usually my model 37 in my front pocket.
Old January 10, 2013, 09:00 AM   #23
Jayhawkhuntclub

LCR pocket carries very nicely in most pockets. It's also VERY accurate for a snubnose. The recoil in 357 is more than I want though. So I carry +Ps.
Old January 10, 2013, 09:26 AM   #24
Big Blue Cats

So the LCP is nasty to shoot? Great. The fiance picked out the LCP as her pistol. Maybe I'll have to bake up some light rounds for her to prvtice with.
Old January 10, 2013, 11:12 AM   #25
Grant D

Big Blue Cats...
Get a Hogue grip for her LCP and she'll be fine.They only cost about eight bucks.
Both my wife and daughter carry LCP'S (as do I)and have no problem shooting them now.