The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 28, 2012, 05:42 PM   #1
Tactical Jackalope

New Walther PPQ range report

Bought it. Went right upstairs. Right out of the box. Range report with live updates through my phone.

Walther PPQ 9mm

My SIG 226 always joins me.

SIG 1911 XO / SA 1911 custom / Colt Gold Cup / Colt 70 Series / SIG P226 e2 / Browning High-power / Walther PPQ / G34 / G19 / G21 / G22 / S&W M-19 / Hk USP 40 / Rem 870 / Rock R. AR-15

sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII
Old September 28, 2012, 05:52 PM   #2
Tactical Jackalope

65rds @ 20 yards.

Wow! I need to get used to that trigger!

SIG 1911 XO / SA 1911 custom / Colt Gold Cup / Colt 70 Series / SIG P226 e2 / Browning High-power / Walther PPQ / G34 / G19 / G21 / G22 / S&W M-19 / Hk USP 40 / Rem 870 / Rock R. AR-15

Old September 28, 2012, 08:29 PM   #3
RBid

I enjoy PPQ reports

Anything to add?
Old September 28, 2012, 10:06 PM   #4
loose_holster_dan

wow! they hose you on ammo prices at that range!
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old September 28, 2012, 10:15 PM   #5
Tactical Jackalope

^^^ LOL tell me about it man. That's Miami for you anyways. Everything is more expensive over here.

Not much of a range report. I didn't see what all the fuss was about with the trigger. It feels like a worked on Glock trigger to me. The gun just had better overall ergonomics and such. Mainly bought it because I've been having issues lately with magazines ejecting when I CC on some of my guns. Like when I sit down and such. The P226 happened once, the SIG 1911, the FNX-9 that I sold. etc...this one? Not possible lol

I need night sights for this sucker! Where can I get it some night sights??
Old September 28, 2012, 10:23 PM   #6
WVsig

Nights sights are overrated. Get yourself a good tactical light and learn to shoot your multiple pistols with multiple flashlight holds.

Night sights are great in a very limited range of low light, mainly dusk scenarios. IMHO YMMV
Old September 28, 2012, 10:33 PM   #7
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Nights sights are overrated. Get yourself a good tactical light and learn to shoot your multiple pistols with multiple flashlight holds.

Night sights are great in a very limited range of low light, mainly dusk scenarios. IMHO YMMV

gaaaaaah...You're right in the sense that the mounted light is the way to go...I miss my TLR-1! I even have a custom duty holster for the P226 with the TLR-1 mounted.

However kind sir, I always like night sights on my handguns. Always...I'm out at night a lot. I've been in some situations where I need/want/feel better seeing where my sights are when it's nice and quiet and I'm searching.

For a quick draw and shoot, yeah...not needed. But it's like concealed carry. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I want my night sights!

Where can I get them for the PPQ? I heard the PPS sights will work o.O
Old September 28, 2012, 10:41 PM   #8
WVsig

Quote:
gaaaaaah...You're right in the sense that the mounted light is the way to go...I miss my TLR-1! I even have a custom duty holster for the P226 with the TLR-1 mounted.
I am not a fan of mounted lights....

http://www.iwillnotbeavictim.com/fla...hold-page.html
Old September 28, 2012, 10:51 PM   #9
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
your multiple pistols with multiple flashlight holds.

derrrf....sorry, you definitely didn't say "moutned". My bad...well I like mounted lights a lot. Trained with them greatly.

Actual flashlights? I also HAD a Fenix LD20 I think..awesome thing. I learned the holds with them also and was fond with it until I had situations where I had to open doors, move something, signal to someone..etc. I wasn't too happy with that method..So I stuck to mounted.

As of now though. I have neither. Let a buddy borrow the TLR-1 and I may have to borrow it back from him eventually. What are friends for right? -.-

The Fenix...disappeared.
Old September 29, 2012, 11:19 AM   #10
balance

Quote:
Not much of a range report. I didn't see what all the fuss was about with the trigger. It feels like a worked on Glock trigger to me. The gun just had better overall ergonomics and such.
That's the point.

You pick up a PPQ, and you don't need trigger modifications, grip reductions, extended slide release levers, extended mag release buttons, aftermarket barrels...etc.

Quote:
I need night sights for this sucker! Where can I get it some night sights??
Any sights for a P99 or PPS, will work on a PPQ.

Most P99 sights will use the same adjustable rear sight screw and plunger setup that came on your PPQ.

All PPS sights will use a fixed rear sight that is held on to the pistol by a roll pin between the sight and the slide.

I swapped the factory night sights that came on my PPS, to my PPQ:

Dawson Precision also makes sights for the P99 and PPQ now. Trijicon makes sights for the P99. Meprolight makes sights for both the P99 and PPS. XS express sights are available for the P99 and PPS.
Old September 29, 2012, 01:39 PM   #11
Tactical Jackalope

Wow. Thanks Balance. Appreciate that brother. Searched the whole internet (maybe I'm no good) and couldn't find that.

Well alright then, need to get on those. Here's my PPQ just cause it's always fun to see someone's CCW

Had to put on the L grip for these long hands.

Old September 29, 2012, 04:16 PM   #12
Mrgunsngear

Glad to hear it finally came in; the PPQ's a fine gun. It should solve your mag issues.
Old September 29, 2012, 04:25 PM   #13
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by plouffedaddy View Post
Glad to hear it finally came in; the PPQ's a fine gun. It should solve your mag issues.
Most definitely did! Got it a De Santis holster. The hybrid with horse hide and kydex. So darn comfy too! I was talking to my buddies. They just deal with the issue by not caring. I just bought a new carry gun
Night sights in 2 weeks!

Old September 29, 2012, 04:56 PM   #14
Tactical Jackalope

Ok. Totally random.

I usually grab a pencil and put it eraser side in to my cleared gun and dry fire it to see it's strength, pattern, whatever.

My Glock launches it. My SIG launches it.

The PPQ? It didn't even leave the barrel. Is this ok?

Old September 29, 2012, 06:20 PM   #15
balance

Use the flat plastic end of a ball point pen, and make sure it passes the spring loaded extractor.

Mine launches it up a good 8-10 feet.
Old September 29, 2012, 06:25 PM   #16
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by balance View Post
Use the flat plastic end of a ball point pen, and make sure it passes the spring loaded extractor.

Mine launches it up a good 8-10 feet.
What do you mean? The spring loaded extractor? Maybe I didn't do it right with this gun then?

Really hope it launches it like the two aforementioned ones did.

Just Googled "walther PPQ light strikes" and I'm getting hypochondria lol.
I mean it fired 300 just fine.

Old September 29, 2012, 06:56 PM   #17
balance

I mean make sure that the flat end is touching the breech face.

Sometimes a pen or pencil will rest on the extractor rather than going all the way down the barrel. Once it stops, push it further to make sure it is against the breech face.

A pencil eraser will act as a cushion, so I'd recommend using the plastic flat end of a cheap ball point pen for a "pencil test". It should work a few times before the firing pin destroys the plastic.
Old September 29, 2012, 07:22 PM   #18
Tactical Jackalope

Alright brother, thanks a million. I'm going to try that out when I get home. Hope the sucker launches. If not ..we have a sudden problem? It did so well yesterday.

Old September 29, 2012, 09:04 PM   #19
rickmelear

Bought one a few ago and like you I took it out of the box and fired 300 rounds thought it. Really, really great firearm. And the trigger, very sweet.
Old September 29, 2012, 11:49 PM   #20
Tactical Jackalope

That's funny. Good coincidence there. Didn't even take it home first to clean it. Love it!

Just got home. Gonna try the pen thing again. I don't know why I love this test. Hope it goes well.

Old September 29, 2012, 11:53 PM   #21
Tactical Jackalope

Balance : ok...better. but didn't launch it still. Maybe 1 foot? Better than staying in the barrel right? Like earlier lol..

Old September 30, 2012, 09:46 AM   #22
balance

That's strange. If the pistol shot just fine, you should be getting good strong hits on the primer.

I would take the striker assembly out and clean both it, and the striker channel as well, just to make sure there wasn't some factory preservative in there. This is very easy to do on the PPQ.

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/f...eo-series.html

If the pen/pencil only goes up one foot, then the pistol shouldn't have been firing those rounds.
Old September 30, 2012, 10:57 AM   #23
Tactical Jackalope

I already cleaned the firing pin and the channel..don't know how it fired those rounds then either. Cause it's light striking a darn pen.

Maybe the Magtech ammo has very soft primers. I don't know...feel like taking it off my waistband and putting the Glock 19 back :/

Old September 30, 2012, 11:44 AM   #24
loose_holster_dan

just take it back to the range. make sure it fires. tell you what, i'll try the pen test with mine right now, and i'll let you know what mine does.
Old September 30, 2012, 11:51 AM   #25
loose_holster_dan

tried it with mine. first shot went about 6 feet fired from waist height at a 60deg angle. subsequent fires didn't make it out of the barrel. then i looked at the pen. of course it makes a divot in the back where the firing pin hit the first time. subsequent fires aren't going to launch because the firing pin hits the same spot. try it with a new pen.