The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 20, 2011, 02:16 AM   #26
TX_QtPi

I don't usually go through the whole house but I do have 2 Indoor Pit Bullies that are obedience and Security trained, so not too much worried about any indoor intruders.
I do get up and check every now and then if they bark, and I have another 2 outside, and they will help me clear the property if I do have to go outside gun in hand.
In general after dark my door is regularly answered with gun in hand if there is a knock or noise on the porch but mostly the dogs would alert and most people are smart enough to either ring the intercom or call out a "hello" as they approach.
Old December 20, 2011, 02:50 AM   #27
ltc444

When i lived in the Valley of the sun I checked a couple of times a week. We lived next to a section of state land. "Transients" often camped in the natural area and would trespass.

Since moving to the mountains 18 months ago I have an event maybe once a month.

I did have an interesting event Oct of 2011. We were scheduled to be on vacation and some friends from the Valley were scheduled to watch the animals and house sit. The friend has been feuding with the Pinal County Sheriff. We thought it would be a chance for him to get away and let the feud cool off.

Plans fell through. About 300am my wife woke me and we observed a Laser moving around the room we hit the floor. We thought it might be one of our neighbors playing with his Laser.

The next morning I woke up about 300am flipped on the lights, looked up and a red laser was about 18 inches over my head. I flipped off the lights hit the floor.

The next morning the same thing happened.

I called my friend, an exmarine sniper and discussed the issue, the ballistics, and the scope adjustments for my 338 win Mag at 800yds. I had an idea as to the location of the hide. I also had contacted my neighbor who claimed not to have used a laser.

After the phone call the lasers stopped.

My friend came up and we tracked a two man sniper team to their hide.

I contacted the local sheriff and the FBI. Of course I recieved no feedback but the incident has not reoccurred.

I'm not a member of the "black helicopter" crowd but it was strange.
Old December 20, 2011, 10:41 AM   #28
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
how many times annually have you walked through your house after having thought you were down for the night to investigate the bump in the night with a firearm in hand?
None, since I thought about it enough to realize that my firearm did absolutely nothing to prevent my being ambushed.

Before that...a couple of times over a number of years. Fortunately, there was no one in the house.

The technology is now available to enable one to find that out without getting up at all.
Old December 20, 2011, 11:03 AM   #29
peacefulgary

I have investigated a strange noise in my home maybe twice a year.
Old December 20, 2011, 01:10 PM   #30
bird_dog

I investigated bumps in the night twice this past year. I thought it was appropriate to carry my .45 because of the dogs' insistence that it was something important. I didn't feel silly at all, as there is some crime in our neighborhood. There are also deer and raccoons in our neighborhood and I'm guessing that's what set the dogs off.

One night a few months ago, however, my wife heard a bump in the night and woke me. I was surprised I missed it and uncharacteristically dismissed it, and fell back to sleep, since the dogs didn't seem concernced. When I awoke in the morning, the mirror in the adjacent bathroom was smashed all over the floor. The 70 year old adhesive on the back simply let go and there were mirror shards everywhere.

It could just as easily have been a window being broken. I missed it. I dismissed it. Thankfully it wasn't an intruder. I chastised myself for not taking it seriously and, potentially, putting us in danger.
Old December 24, 2011, 12:17 AM   #31
jreXD9

I agree with YoungGun....I sleep heavy too and if a bump or thud wakes me I'm up until satisfied that I'm the only one up in my house. My 11 yr old, 100 lb. dog is probably not going to be much help. This happens about once a month to me. I've usually got the XDm9 or MP9c with me.
Old December 24, 2011, 12:46 AM   #32
NCSU08MS3

not to stir things up but I'm surprised how many people take the "clear the house" route...

I personally take the "sit and wait" method. I hear something loud enough to wake me up maybe 4 or 5 times a year, however I'm of the mindset that they can take what's outside my bedroom door and it can be replaced and a police report can be filed, however if they come in the bedroom after me or my wife I've got 3 rounds (yeah I might need something a bit more capacity maybe...) of 12 gauge 00 buckshot from my Winchester Model 12 and 32 rounds of 9mm (13 in the well and a high cap 19 round mag to reload) from my XDM9C and a blinding 220 luman strobe from my Olight T20 flashlight by my bed for them.
So I'll sit up for a while to make sure I don't hear anything else after the initial "startle" but have always ended up just going back to sleep and going downstairs the next morning to an un-disrupted house. When we have kids I'll probably take the extra step of moving the kids to our bedroom while I wait it out for any other signs of disturbance but otherwise will stay put and let them come to me if that's what it comes to.

Phillip
Old December 24, 2011, 01:13 AM   #33
Tacticool1

Whenever my dawg "Marley" goes bonkers in tha middle of the nite. Btw I have cleared my place 3ti es this month. Its maybe a weekly thing in my part of the world. I too take every "weird" noise seriously. Id rather take the extra couple minutes to protect my family than be a lazy azz n because of my laziness have my family,dog or me suffer the consequences. Btw-with my wifes help ("whatta driver wheww") made my first "middle of the nite" ARREST. Not only did he break into and rob two of my fellow neighbors but tried on us. Luckily my dog alerted and me in my nite shorts n all (my glock19,handcuffs,badge/id) went out tha door chasin this "felon" and boy seein my wife packin my .45 zoomin by me in our car was a nice site considerin my but-azz neked self. Haha. How does one describe " Im armed,off duty, have one in custody,need uniformed officer-oh and im the neked one" lolol. Too funny. Well anywhoo-We gott him. Come to find out he was an Illegal,undocumented,theiving,liar that needed catching and his time was up. Good job BBDoll (If u ever read this). So,whats to be learned?
You never know and thats exactly why i check out each n every noise i hear that is unknown to me. I GOT MY FAMILIES SIX-DO U???
People. We own firearms for a reason-well unless u only like to target shoot. Anywhoo. U get the jist. We need to protect one n other. Ourselves,our families, our neighbors,our community,OUR CONTRY. I AM TIRED OF CRIME. Go steal from your own dam family n not mine. Things r tough a as it is in my house. Yet,I dont go to your n jack your crap. Quit trying to jack my moms purse at knife/gun point and you wont get shot at. Quit coming illegally to commit crimes and get sent back when there is a right way to come here and get what u want "Work for it". I am-My family is-Our country is TIRED OF CRIME. GET THA HINT.

Sent by iPhone using Tapatalk.
Old December 24, 2011, 01:19 AM   #34
Tacticool1

Damn iphone keypad.
Edit-Contrty = Country.

Old December 24, 2011, 02:02 AM   #35
KC Rob

Quote:
not to stir things up but I'm surprised how many people take the "clear the house" route...I personally take the "sit and wait" method....

...When we have kids...
I think you answered your own question.

I have 5 kids scattered over two floors (ground level and basement) and when I get up to check on "bumps in the night" they are what I am checking on. Number 1, making sure they are safe from any outside threat, and number 2, making sure they are not up doing some thing they should not be doing in the middle of the night...The dogs will not typically react if one of the kids is up for some reason so if the dog alerts I need to know why. I have no intention of "sitting and waiting" while someone is pulling an "Elizabeth Smart" on one of my kids. A little less sleep once or twice a month is price a I will gladly pay for the peace of mind of knowing the kids are safe in their beds.
Old December 24, 2011, 02:23 AM   #36
NCSU08MS3

Quote:
I think you answered your own question.

I have 5 kids scattered over two floors (ground level and basement) and when I get up to check on "bumps in the night" they are what I am checking on. Number 1, making sure they are safe from any outside threat, and number 2, making sure they are not up doing some thing they should not be doing in the middle of the night...The dogs will not typically react if one of the kids is up for some reason so if the dog alerts I need to know why. I have no intention of "sitting and waiting" while someone is pulling an "Elizabeth Smart" on one of my kids. A little less sleep once or twice a month is price a I will gladly pay for the peace of mind of knowing the kids are safe in their beds.
I think you misquoted me there in regards to kids, or maybe I was unclear... When I have kids my first priority will be to get to them and get them safe with me, but after that I don't plan on searching the rest of the house. I guess we're fortunate that the layout of our house keeps all bedrooms on the same floor (2nd) and in the same general area. I don't intend on "sitting and waiting" without my kids either (nor would I expect anyone else to).

Phillip
Old December 24, 2011, 03:27 AM   #37
jimmythegeek

Nice work, Tacticool1

I kind of have to pity the poor robber, getting chased down by an armed, naked guy. I mean, armed, sure, comes with the territory. You have to expect that eventually when you go in for robbing people.

But naked? Dang. He'll be a long time living that one down.

Glad you got him and you're ok. And nice work, dog, sounding the alert.
Old December 24, 2011, 07:33 AM   #38
phil mcwilliam

I'm 47 & I guess only a couple of times have I investigated a "bump in the night" with firearm in hand, but interestingly the last time was only a week ago.
I woke at 3am "bright awake" hearing the creaking of my security door. I was sort of aware that in my half sleep sometime before , I had heard something in my place.
The closest firearm was a .22 revolver, which I searched my home with, but nothing was found.
The next day a close buddy of mine rang to say he was on his way to work at 3am (trying to get work out of the way before Christmas), & stopped at an all night gas station to refuel his Ford F250 Diesel. He accidentally locked the keys in his car with engine running.
My place was closer to walk to than his home, & he new I had a spare key to his truck, & he new where I hid a spare key to my place.
I guess the motto to the story is "be careful when investigating bumps in the night".
Old December 24, 2011, 08:49 AM   #39
dannyb

sometimes it's not so easy

I had one main incident in which I did a sort of houseclear (not in the house we currently live in) with a noise coming from the garage. Checked with shotgun in hand, almost shot my car when confronted by the startled racoon checking out the trash can in the garage whose door I had forgotten to close.

My current situation is different. We have moved my mother into our house because of her advancing memory problems. She has started to sundown - wander around the house at 3 - 4 AM with a spooky look in her eyes and claiming that our son (fast asleep in his room) is outside crying. So I don't respond to night racket by running out of the bedroom with 1911 or 12 ga in hand anymore. Now I keep a discrete .380 in my pocket, but know that the noise is far more likely to be my mother "exploring" than a random home invasion. And for those inclined to give advice: yes we have locks out of her reach and alarms on the doors, no - I will not put her in a nursing home until we no longer have the ability to care for her here.
Old December 24, 2011, 10:26 AM   #40
oldgranpa

this is a most interesting thread, and very real. Most houses have a wood frame, especially the roof. While wood has a very low 'coeficent of expansion', in the hot summer, the roof especially gets hot enough to produce slight expansion of the wooden rafters. Then at night, when it gets cool, slight contraction will occur, and spots with a few less nails may move producing an audible 'pop' sound which can be heard in the house below.
I've decided a number of times during the summer especially that the 'Bump in the Night' is the result of the nose from the roof.
Another case was when the gas water heater in the garage got old and would turn on with a loud poof sounding like something falling. Finally found that out and replaced the water heater!
Nevertheless, I do check the house and doors to be sure.
A noise coming from outside is a whole different thing and like those posting here, it's wise to check things out with a firearm in hand.
Mine is a S&W snub with night sights loaded with .357mag!
Ignorance are those that reject the Second Ammendment. The 'Bump' might get them!!
og

(for those with lots of very real "Bumps", sleep with some long pajama pants on so you don't get caught bare az chasing the perp!
Old December 25, 2011, 01:09 AM   #41
Tacticool1

Ok so in response-I wasnt neked-I had my nite shorts on-BOXERS rofl. And an undershirt. But still wasnt enuff as i was freezin my buns off. Haha. As leo arrived i put weapon in my elastic to make it less threataning for them condition wise as as i instructed an officer to please take my weapon n he said thats ok. I see ur shield n ID. Keep it. I SAID NO-u dont understand- i really dont want a ND because of my glock19 fallin outta my shorts. Please secure my weapon. I had to make him take it. Lol. Gotta luv AZ. Lolol. Tooo funny.

Old December 25, 2011, 01:14 AM   #42
Tacticool1

Oh fwiw-ID DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN-and i still sleep in my skippys (shorts). All be damed if worryin bout that kinda crap makes me dress different sleepin nxt to my wifee. BS. now i keep elastic pants and a warm jaket ready with shield/id cuffs and oc to make it fast n "COMFIER" rotfl.

Old December 25, 2011, 02:39 AM   #43
Sheikyourbootie

Mine wasn't a "clear the house" encounter. My lab, that I trained to be my wife's hearing dog, came to ME and quietly tugged my covers off and made his way over to my infant's crib. He then jumped in and placed himself between my daughter and the window, teeth showing, hair standing, and waiting by the glass.

I grabbed the shotgun (which I promised my then gun hating wife I would never have) from the crawl space (wife woke up cuz she felt me get out of bed) handed my daughter to my wife and signed for her to be quiet, there is a thief in the house and to call 911 and hang up several times.

Went back to the window where my dog was waiting quietly. Pushed the window treatment back with the barrel to see the POS criminal trying to pry the window open as quietly as he could. He muttered an explicative, ran, hopped the fence...I opened the window and let the dog jump through the screen the bastard had cut. The dog tore him up a bit before he got out of the back yard. Cops took 20 min to get there.

After that incident, my wife has become quite proficient with a few of our guns and is no longer an anti. Let your dogs clear your house for you, they will tell you where to aim.
Old December 25, 2011, 04:32 AM   #44
Hook686

hmmmm an agressive service dog ? I suspect this is a contridiction in training methodology, or terminology. You trained this service dog to be aggressive ? Intentionally ? On the other hand do you have an aggressive assault dog that you use your wife's condition to label your dog a service dog ?

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old December 25, 2011, 05:50 AM   #45
Joe_Pike

Maybe once a year and my one time happened to be this morning at 1:30 when a drunk tried to break into my house. I certainly don't look forward to that happening again anytime soon.
Old December 25, 2011, 04:36 PM   #46
pjp74

Typically, 3-4 times per year, we live in a pretty small town north of Dallas, there has been some crime here, but more of the drunk/disorderly type. I have a 140# Great Dane, he probably wouldn't bite anyone, but he has a bark that makes him sound like he weighs 300#. I have learned to differentiate between the "I need to go out" bark and the "there's someone/something outside" bark. KC Rob, you are correct I have two cats as well, and there is nothing that will get your adrenaline flowing, like waking up at 0230 and seeing both cats sitting like statues and having the "lock on" stare down the hallway, that will get me up every time with my LC9 and Scorpion checking my daughter's room and rest of house. Most of the times, though, our bump in the night is one of the cats getting up on the counter and knocking something down, someday that damn cat is going to be a smoking puff of fur.
Old December 25, 2011, 06:13 PM   #47
war_elephant

Having read this thread, and enjoyed reading it, there is one comment that applies, ALWAYS, when seconds count the police/sheriff/troopers are minutes away. Feel better that I can defend myself. Also having a dog is a good alarm system, even a small pot licker.
Old December 25, 2011, 08:32 PM   #48
Dwight55

Not meaning to be the stick in the mud guy, . . . but I don't get up, . . . or maybe I should say I don't leave the bedroom.

I know the sounds of my house, . . . my neighborhood (reallllllll rural), . . . and am ususally awakened by something out of the ordinary.

Usually, . . . just laying there for a few seconds, . . . I will identify it, . . . if not, . . . I'll sit up on the edge of the bed, . . . until I do, . . . or until I call the cops.

Nothing in my house is worth the burglar's life, . . . or my life, . . . or my wife's. Calling 911 is cheap, . . . I pay taxes for the privilege.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old December 25, 2011, 08:55 PM   #49
KC Rob

You are not being the stick in the mud, you just have different "valuables" in your house than others, like in my case, my 5 kids. If I knew there was someone in my house, I would certainly call 911, or more likely have my wife do it, but I can not sit idly by and wait for them. I must respond. If I can't identify the noise that woke me up, I can't just call 911, it could very well be an innocent thing, very possibly one of the aforementioned children and I don't need the police coming every time I wake up from a bump in the night. Also, I live in a rural area, in fact I am out of the city limits of the nearest city where my post office is and where my kids go to school. That PD does not respond to a 911 call from me, it would be a county sheriff's deputy or a state trooper, neither of who are based close to me. Unless I was extremely lucky and one was driving near by, best case scenario, I am probably 20 minutes away from a responding officer. I don't have the luxury of waiting that long, I have to insure the safety of my family.
Old December 25, 2011, 09:43 PM   #50
TeamSinglestack

Quote:
I am curious, how many times annually have you walked through your house after having thought you were down for the night to investigate the bump in the night with a firearm in hand?
If the good Lord wanted us to stumble around the cave in the dark chasing "bumps in the night", He wouldn't have given us dogs.