The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 2, 2011, 10:03 AM   #1
UtopiaTexasG19

World's Finest Brass Trimmer....

I really like the idea of trimming rifle brass to lenght by using the shoulder instead of the base of a casing after sizing but wonder if any more experienced would comment on this product before I order. The videos look phenominal. My .223 trimming is driving me crazy!
http://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/wft.html
PS- I am in no way connected with this product or site, just looking for an easier way....
Old November 2, 2011, 10:55 AM   #2
Sefner

Get an RCBS X-Die... it prevents cases from expanding during full length resizing.
Old November 2, 2011, 10:55 AM   #3
Miata Mike

I too am curious. If I knew it had a 3 way trimmer I would order one right now. I would like to know if it chamfers in addition to deburring.
Old November 2, 2011, 10:58 AM   #4
swmike

Looks like a "Ggiraud" adapted to a cordless drill.

I would expect there might be Patent Issues with this tool having a short life in the sales world.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old November 4, 2011, 12:30 PM   #5
Ozzieman

Any time I hear someone say of their own design and product “Worlds finest,,, best,,, amazing” whatever, my first thought is that I’m watching late night TV and someone selling another steam mop.
If you want one of the best (again one of the best since I have never tried them all) go with a Wilson case trimmer. It uses a case holder that holds the case by the body taper.
This trimmer is adjustable to 0.001 inches with a micrometer on the trimmer and once set will remain very accurate.
His “world finest” might be a great tool, but I wouldn’t trade 10 of his for one Wilson.
And they do make a motor drive for the Wilson but I don’t need it.
Old November 4, 2011, 04:42 PM   #6
A_Gamehog

I just ordered one. I do a large amount of 223 rds. each winter 3,000-5,000 and wanted a quick and easy way to do it. I realize they have limitations but I use my bench drill press for most everything else. I don't know how repeatable this device is but I will report back on consistent accuracy in lengths. I currently use an RCBS 3-way which works fine in small volumes with these old hands. Now I would like to find a less harmful way to trim for my hands and wrists, and this is not bench rest quality ammo and only for Squirrels and P-Dogs.
Old November 4, 2011, 07:11 PM   #7
edward5759

Location: Phoenix, AZ. 30 miles from water, two feet from Hell.
I use the Dillon electric case trimmer, it goes on the press ans makes short work.
I use it with a progressive press with their 223 carbide die. We can do 2,000 a day easy.

Edward5759

This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" -Adolf Hitler,1935"
Old November 4, 2011, 07:26 PM   #8
CherokeeT

I have a Giraud which is fantastic for trimming my 5.56 and 7.62 brass. Does it all in one step: trim, deburr, bevel inside case neck slightly. But, I am interested in how this new tool works out, let us know.
Old November 5, 2011, 01:33 AM   #9
GWS

The "WFT" is only a trimmer. It does not chamfer and deburr like the Giraud. Like the Giraud you have to hold on tight while the cutter trims.

Quote:
I currently use an RCBS 3-way which works fine in small volumes with these old hands. Now I would like to find a less harmful way to trim for my hands and wrists, and this is not bench rest quality ammo and only for Squirrels and P-Dogs.
My hands can't take too much trimming at a time either, so I modded my Forster to work vertically, where I can raise the shaft by a pully and foot pedals. (It lowers by gravity) Powered by a clutched screw gun, a front-mounted momentary switch turns it on.

I use Forster's new 3-way cutter, so I can trim, chamfer, and deburr .223, .243, and .308 plenty fast for me, and with zero wear on my hands and wrists.

Video below....click the picture if you wish to see it in action. I'd bet you could do the same thing using your RCBS.

Old November 5, 2011, 05:42 AM   #10
alloy

I use a Possum Hollow trimmer in a small lathe for .223, very fast, about as fast as you can pick up a case, push, and drop it in the bucket.
The littlecrowgunworks looks like a similar type, but that's what I ended up getting, and no complaints. Light years faster than a regular trimmer.
Old November 5, 2011, 05:48 AM   #11
alloy

Here's a thread about the LittleCrow wft.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451575
Old November 5, 2011, 08:44 AM   #12
Rifleman1776

Mine is a Sinclair designed for bench rest shooters. It can be powered.
Old November 7, 2011, 12:34 AM   #13
greentick

Looks the same as the possum hollow, which is much cheaper.

I got one for .223 to trim 1000 cases of once fired brass.

I also have the RCBS Trim pro manual trimmer with the 3way cutter. I lost a couple of parts during a move for the manual part, and the $7 drill adapter wore out after a few hundred 30-06 cases.

The PH trimmer worked well tho I developed callouses where I held the cases and they still needed to be chamfered/deburred. I tried gloves but they slowed down the process. I would do a handfull per night and even got my 7 and 6 yr olds in on the action the the deburring. It is still fully servicable. If I was a match shooter I would want something more precise but for GP ammo it does fine.

After the 12-1300 rds I trimmed I came to the conclusion that I would rather pay an extra 20-30 bucks for pre trimmed used brass.

After that doing small batches on the RCBS would be my second choice as it does all 3 operations at once. Not a huge difference from the PH, just less discomfort and fewer steps.

Dreams of motorization but thin on funds to make that a reality.

YMMV
Old November 7, 2011, 08:45 PM   #14
A_Gamehog

I just got the trimmer in today's mail. Ordered on the 4th arrived on the 7th.
Mn. to Oregon! So far it looks nice and a test is in order. I will report back.
Old November 7, 2011, 09:20 PM   #15
4runnerman

Im with ozzieman all the way. I got my Wilson and have never looked back. Very Very accurate. It's one tool im not ever looking to upgrade.
Old November 7, 2011, 11:31 PM   #16
Miata Mike

I ordered a Possum Hollow Kwick trimmer yesterday. I will post how it works compared to my Lee trimmer. I will still need to handle the cases 3 times.
Old November 7, 2011, 11:43 PM   #17
Ricky Bobby

I own & use the Sinclair/Wilson Ultimate Stainless trimmer & think it is by far the best made tool I have on my bench! I look forward to trimming brass, but I don't do it in high volume. I would think I could speed up the process considerably by obtaining a battery drill adapter for it, but I'm fine with hand cranking mine(atleast for now). The design & accuracy of this tool is unmatched, IMO!
Old November 8, 2011, 12:37 AM   #18
Bullet94

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X1Zdwnm9Fk
Old November 8, 2011, 07:01 AM   #19
old roper

I like the Wilson and use the upgrades from Sinclair as they came out. I also also load with Wilson dies.
Old November 8, 2011, 11:58 AM   #20
COSteve

Like many, I found that handling each case to trim it would leave my fingers, hands, and wrists sore after no more than 500 cases and that processing 1,000 cases was pure agony. I tried a Lee trimmer, the Possum Hollow trimmer in my drillpress, and a friend's Giraud trimmer and because they all require that I grab and hold every case, they all proved to be unacceptable.

The best way to trim cases without the pain is to avoid grabbing the cases at all. Because the Dillon trimmer mounts on my 650's case prep toolhead, all I have to do is dump the lubed brass into the casefeed hopper and start cranking. Station one deprimes and resizes the case and station four trims the case (if needed) without me ever having to touch a case. The carbide blades give a very clean chamfered outside edge to the case and tumbling for ten minutes to remove the lube removes any tiny burs on the case mouth.

Best of all, because the trimmer operates during my normal case prep cycle, there is no added effort to trim the cases; that's right, none. No other trimmer I know of can make that claim because they all require a separate step to trim the cases. No, it doesn't chamfer the inside of the case, however, in my accuracy testing with my AR at 300yds, I've found no difference in accuracy when shooting my 69grn loads both with and without an inside chamfered case. In both cases, I can achieve under 1 MOA accuracy and to be honest, that's at the limit of my 64 year old eyes and body.
Old November 8, 2011, 01:40 PM   #21
A_Gamehog

Rated *****

There is a learning curve when you first start, I tried many different dies to

size, RCBS full length, Forester shoulder bump bushing , Hornady ,but the best

repeatability was with the Forester Full length sizer that also bumps.

I had many cases left over from last year that were never trimmed but they

had been full length sized with a std. RCBS die. These were not very consistent

and it showed after attempting to trim with this new WFT tool. However after

se-sizing 50 once fired Mil. LC cases with my Forester FLS Bump die the

answer was immediate. Dead Nuts on with each piece I did. Virtually no

variance with each case done this way. Sliding into my caliper was tight.

Their is no outside burr I could feel but a small one on the inside

is there. Some of the Military brass was 1/8" long to trim. It went fast and

smoothly. Once you have it setup, remove one set screw and locktite it,

then do the other. This should never need to be adjusted or setup again.

High grade tool steel cutter will last a long time. Sealed bearing and machined

aluminum base. Very impressed with the repeatable sized/lengths of the

cases.

I gave it 5 stars. and I will buy another soon.

Don

Last edited by A_Gamehog; November 8, 2011 at 01:53 PM.
Old November 10, 2011, 05:21 PM   #22
CenterFireBrass.com

Dillon trimmer on a 650 does it all. I put a small base die with de-cap pin in station 1 and station 3 has my trimmer. Can do over 1,500 an hour.