The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 11, 2010, 03:10 PM   #1
sks

Stoeger M2000 question - not cycling

I was finally able to take my new to me Stoeger M2000 out for some skeet shooting yesterday and was thoroughly disappointed. The gun would not cycle reliably so after 30 rounds I quit shooting. At no time was I able to shoot two shots back to back.

Here is what happend. The gun would continually hold the bolt open but not load the new shell in. It would load a new shell when I pulled the bolt back several times and then finally in went the new cartridge. Then at times I would have to reset the action release button after each shot. Frustrating to say the least.

I read on the Stoeger website that the M2000 needs 100-200 heavy loads to break it in before it will reliably cycle target or game loads. So I'm wondering if this could be my problem. I hadn't thought about that because the gun was used although in great shape. I am REALLY hoping this is the problem.

I'm not as familiar with shotguns as rifles and handguns so I pose the question to you shotgun gurus. Do you think this is the problem I was experiencing? Also, if this is the problem, what "heavy" loads do you recommend I put through the gun?

Thanks in advance.
Old April 11, 2010, 03:33 PM   #2
Scorch

Go buy yourself some "game loads" and use those. Look for loads that are loaded with a little heavier shot load at the same velocity as target loads or a little higher.

Also, before you go out next time, clean the shotgun really well, and lube with a good quality lube.
Old April 11, 2010, 03:40 PM   #3
sks

Scorch: Thanks for the input. I was shooting some #8 shot, 1 1/8 oz, 3dr loads at 1,200 fps. I do have some older Express Magnum high brass #6 shot and some #4 shot, 1 1/4 oz, 3 3/4 dr as well. I'll go out and buy a bunch of the hotter stuff, even some 3" and see if those work.

I sure hope this remedies the problem and no repairs have to be made to the gun.

Will keep you posted.
Old April 11, 2010, 06:26 PM   #4
darkgael

yep.

Try the heavier load advice. I have an M2000 and it has worked perfectly from the get go.
Pete
Old April 14, 2010, 04:02 PM   #5
ASUdevil22

sks...sorry to hear you are having issues with your m2000...the advice above is good.

In addition, try this...open the bolt and lock it back, take your finger and run it up to where the barrel extension meets the cutout in the receiver. The barrel extension is the end of the barrel that the bolt head turns into. It will be very sharp and a little higher then the receiver. Just take a small round file or a Dremell with a fine stone and put a little radius on it. The other place you can run into trouble is the cutout in the barrel it self where the extractor goes past the cut out to grab the shell rim. They leave this very sharp also and the end of the shell can catch on this. Just take that sharp edge off and you should see some improvement.

I just got a new m2000 and prior to buying it, i did extensive research and found that this is a common issue that usually can get addressed by taking these steps.

Fortunately, my Stoeger worked without any problems the first time out at the clay target center. All i did was disassemble it completely, gave it a quick wipedown, a light coat of oil and that was it. No need for further work. It cycled everything i put through it without a snag. I shot some Federal and winchester, #8 shot, 1 oz for both.

Another thing I found out when researching the M2000 is that there seems to be a considerable amount of problems regarding cycling when it comes to the 1st generation M2000s with a lot of the kinks worked out by the 2nd and 3rd generations...but for some reason, I wasn't able to find a good way to differentiate them all, with the exception of the white vs. orange bead (not even serial #). Apparently, as time has passed, the quality of these shotguns have improved some...at least functionally.

Best of luck to you. Let us know how everything works out.
Old April 14, 2010, 08:08 PM   #6
oneounceload

Watch with the larger shot at places like a gun club - most have limitations in regards to that - typically no larger than 7-1/2.

Sometimes a really good deep cleaning will work
Old April 14, 2010, 10:35 PM   #7
TCman

My buddies Benelli super black eagle had the same problem you have. It would not cycle light loads. I told him to lock the bolt open for a week or two and try that. It made a huge difference, but still not perfect. 5% to 10% would still short stroke. He picked up a box of 3 1/2" waterfowl loads. That completely fixed his problem.
Old April 14, 2010, 11:17 PM   #8
baltz526

I find it interesting people need to shoot at something to break in a gun. I would just find a place to shoot, run a box of magnum shells through the gun while shooting at a stump, then run some light loads to test. If still not fully cycling the light loads, run another box of magnums through it. If it still will not cycle the light loads, disassemble the gun, look for binding clean and lightly lube it. Try it again. You are not wasting shells, You are breaking in the gun. If it was a broke in gas gun, like a 1100 you just use a heavier load.
Old April 15, 2010, 11:27 AM   #9
zippy13

Quote:
I was finally able to take my new to me Stoeger M2000 out for some skeet shooting yesterday and was thoroughly disappointed. The gun would not cycle reliably so after 30 rounds I quit shooting. At no time was I able to shoot two shots back to back.
If you haven't completed the factory recommended break-in routine, then your complaints may be premature. Since you're not the original owner, it may have been sold because it wouldn't cycle for the first owner, either. You don't know if he tried to break it in or just gave up. The Stoeger 2000 is the subject of quite a few unfavorable reviews because of the problem you experienced.

Skeet, with it's light target loads is probably the worst way to break in a new gun. And, most experienced shooters will get upset if you're auto-loading at other than Skeet's four doubles presentations.

Perhaps "Heavy" trap loads will work well in your M2000. Does your club offer wobble or bunker trap where taking two shots per target is standard? That way you'll be using 50 shots per round of 25 targets instead of Skeet's 25 shots. I know bunker trap shooters who always shoot twice. If they break the target with the first shot, they go for the largest piece with the second one. Of course, you could just get some 3" turkey loads and help pulverize baltz526's favorite stump.

If you got the gun from a LGS, perhaps you can get close to what you paid for it if you trade up to a used R-1100, Beretta or Benelli.
Old April 16, 2010, 06:16 AM   #10
sks

Thanks to everyone for your input and advice. I am both suspecting and hoping that the breakin is the issue and nothing else.

Still have not been able to fire the M2000 because my wife has been in the hospital all week. She returned home yesterday so maybe Monday.

Oneounceload: You are correct, I will not shoot the heavy stuff at the gun club. They do have limitations. My idea was to head to the outdoor range we normally use and just blow a couple of hundred rounds. Might take some pumpkins, tomatoes, etc to have fun with but that will be all.

ASU: I'll check that out as well. Am headed out of town today so I probably won't get to it until Sunday evening but I'll definitely give it a once over.

When I purchased the gun it was pretty dirty inside and the first thing I did was strip it down and clean it. Cleaned up it was pretty nice. Yes, the owner might have sold it because it didn't cycle which means not many shells were put through the gun. Good for me!

Again, thanks to all for your input. I'll keep you posted.
Old April 16, 2010, 07:02 AM   #11
RoscoeC

I'll throw this in. I have an M2000 that I bought new. The only problem I ever experienced with it was the first time I shot it. I didn't want to cycle. I had done the same thing you did, i.e. I broke it down and cleaned it. I lubricated it with a lubricant that was fairly heavy and tacky. After about the 3 or 4th FTE, I took it to the trunk of my car, broke it down, sprayed everything off with spray cleaner and lightly sprayed it down with Rem Oil. I have never had another issue through about a thousand rounds.

Point is be sure to use a very light lubricant like Rem Oil or whatever, just as long as it is a thin and light oil.
NRA Life Member
Old April 22, 2010, 11:16 AM   #12
sks

Roscoe: Thanks for the tip. I generally put a very light amount of oil on my firearms and put some Outers on the M2000.

Went to the range yesterday and shot about 80 rounds of 3" shells along with some 2 3/4 high power ammo. Both my shoulder and cheek are sore today.

Even with this ammo, some of the rounds did not cycle. One thing I noticed yesterday was that at times, a round was ejected and a new round chambered but when pulled the trigger nothing happend. The cartridge release lever has sort of reset itself. So I pushed that but to no avail. Had to manually cycle the chambered round out. While I'm not sure these two items are related it seems they could be.

Guess I'll head back this weekend and do another 100 rounds!
Old April 22, 2010, 01:18 PM   #13
RoscoeC

Sorry to hear you are having this kind of a problem. I have one of these and it has been flawless through about 1000 or so rounds. Hope you get it worked out.
NRA Life Member
Old April 22, 2010, 04:46 PM   #14
sks

Me too!
Old April 22, 2010, 05:16 PM   #15
BigJimP

SKS ...

you said you shot some 3" and some high powered 2 3/4" ....but what is the velocity of each shell ?

Are they 3 Dr Eq - or maybe more / do the boxes list the velocity of the shells ? Most of the inertia operated system guns are sensitive to ammo that is not at least about 1250 fps .....but it doesn't matter if its in 3" hulls or 2 3/4" hulls ---- or how much shot is in the shell ---it could be 7/8oz, 1 oz or 1 1/8oz of shot ....

beyond that - cleaning and lubing - ought to fix it ?? In my Benelli semi-auto I use Break Free as a lube on it ......and it'll cycle any shell at or above 1225 fps just fine ....
Old April 22, 2010, 09:14 PM   #16
sks

BigJim: I was shooting some older Federal Express loads #6 shot. Not sure of the dram or velocity because these are older and not in the original box. They were mixed with some Winchester 2 3/4" magnum, 1 1/2 oz #6. These cycled ok. See attached picture.

The 3" stuff is Winchester Super X 4 dram, 1 5/8 oz BB lead shot at 1280 fps. These cycled better than the 2 3/4 field loads but at times I had the same problems. One round fired and another chambered. Then at times the second chambered round would not fire. I had to manually eject it then hit the cartridge release lever to get the next round to fire.

I'll tell you this, if I need to find something hotter than the 3" super X I might have to hire out someone to fire the next 100 rounds. I hope the next 100 rounds and lubrication solve the problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12 gauge.jpg (48.3 KB, 154 views)
Old April 23, 2010, 11:41 AM   #17
BigJimP

I wouldn't shoot those loads either ...

a young guy at our club had the same problem you are --and I gave him a box of Rio sporting clays loads, 1 oz, at around 1260 fps .... and his Stoeger cycled 100%.

You don't need to shoot those magnum monster loads ....especially since you don't really know what velocity they are. Go to a box of ammo / where you know the velocity stated ... and test it that way ...first at least.

The Stoeger action is a little more finnicky than the Benelli actions ( I think anyway ) ...but I can't say polishing the bolt assembly will make a difference either... just hang in there and hopefully it'll be ok.
( I have 4 cases of Rem STS Nitro's, 1 1/8oz at 1300 fps ...and I want the hulls for reloading .... so I'm going to shoot Trap with my son(he's 31) and one of my grandsons (he's 18) this weekend .... and I feel bad ( a little ) but I'm going to give those shells to the boys to "empty" for me ... and I'm going to shoot my ***** little 1 oz loads at 1225 fps ...
Old April 23, 2010, 02:13 PM   #18
sks

BJP: I am planning on letting my cousin and brother do some shooting with me this weekend to help the process. We think alike!

I'll keep at it to see what happens. I really like the feel of the gun and the way it points for me.

By the way, I shot some 3.5" turkey loads #4 in the Super Nova and they really weren't that bad.
Old April 23, 2010, 03:23 PM   #19
BigJimP

Hey, I understand ...

I don't think of myself as getting old ...but I'm not getting any younger either ... and my surgically repaired shooting shoulder ...is not up to a fixed breech shotgun with heavy loads ( not even in a 10lb Trap gun / with a GraCoil on it ) ...or the Benelli Super Sport ...

I like my 1 oz of 8's at 1225 fps ....besides their kids...and like Zippy's or OneOunces, or somebody's tag line says ...old age and treachery / will overcome youth and exuberance ...

This kid is my first grandson ( he's 18 ) and big and strong / but they named #10 grandchild after me ...so maybe by the time he's of a shooting age, I'll treat him better ...( besides, I won't let the grandson shoot those heavy loads / I'll make my son do it ) ... To make him shoot them / is pay-back !
Old April 24, 2010, 10:06 PM   #20
sks

Well I took the Stoeger out into the driving wind and rain this afternoon to pump another 80 rounds through it. That makes right at 170 that I've put through it personally. Still it won't reliably cycle the lower loads and at times won't even cycle the high stuff.

So next week I'll take it into the gun smith and see what they say. I'm not savvy enough with shotguns to do anything to it so I'll turn to the experts.

Thanks to all for your input and suggestions.
Old April 29, 2010, 07:05 PM   #21
sks

In the shop; awaiting an answer

I dropped the M2000 off at the gun shop and am waiting for final word on the solution. The owner felt like there was a burr on the bolt that was not allowing it to seat fully. At any rate, I hope they can fix it so that my reviews will then be raving!
Old May 5, 2010, 02:05 PM   #22
ASUdevil22

Keep us updated on what happens
Old May 5, 2010, 07:35 PM   #23
sks

ASU: Still waiting to hear from the smith on this one. It has been a week and I'll give it a bit more time. I really like the feel of the Stoeger and it just points well for me so I'm hoping it is all fixed nice for me.

If it is simply a burr like the store owner suggests then I'm "assuming" that can be fixed fairly easily. I'm not competent enough to do it but the smith should be able to.

I bought this from Mike's Guns here in St. Charles and I can only say good things about Mike. Friendly and helpful in every way. I have purchased three firearms from Mike in the past 3 months and he has been 100% straight with good prices on everything. In fact he beats Cabela's by $80-100 daily on Glocks and SIGs. I've purchased four firearms from Cabela's in the past 6 months so I'm not bashing them, just stating a fact. He took back my wife's Bersa after they couldn't fix it and she got the Taurus PT709. No restocking fee, etc. just took it back.

So, I'm confident that Mike will make it right.

Will let you know what happens.

Thanks,
Old May 6, 2010, 08:18 AM   #24
kx592

I had just bought a semi inertia driven 12ga and i read before taking it out that you should run a few (150or so) 1 1/4oz loads to "break it in" then clean and use normal target loads, I did so and only have had 1 jam and it was after break in cleaning and since have had zero issues
Old May 8, 2010, 01:03 AM   #25
ASUdevil22

Hey kx...which inertia driven one did you get? Stoeger, Franchi, Benelli?