The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 27, 2010, 06:06 PM   #1
ocdcr

Help -- ID ??mauser bolt

I was given this from a step grandfather who passed away several months ago. I know he spent much time overseas in the 1940s-1960s, as I heard many exciting stories. I got some of the relics he brought home. Mostly knives/edged weapons. I know nothing about where he got this or anything. Just that I was told it is a mauser bolt. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

http://picasaweb.google.com/11749585...210903/Mauser#
Old June 27, 2010, 06:18 PM   #2
TX Hunter

I am not sure about the Markings, but it looks like you have either a Sweedish or Turkish Reciever and Bolt. Nicely Jewelled.
You could turn that into a very beautifull Rifle.
Thats probably what your Grandfather had in mind when he picked it up.
A good Barrel, and Stock and your in business.
Old June 27, 2010, 06:27 PM   #3
ocdcr

I do plan on getting a stock and barrel eventually. I am new to the site, but a little familiar with firearms. Over the past few months I have about become obsessed with WWI and WWII weapons. Mainly Garands and 1903s. Spent countless hours reading and searching the net on them. This bolt has been sitting wrapped up on a shelf for about 4 months and I thought about it today and thought about trying to get some history on it. Searched gunbroker, auction arms, etc to find something similar. No luck. Thanks again for all the input.

Last edited by ocdcr; June 27, 2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old June 27, 2010, 06:30 PM   #4
TX Hunter

MR ODcr

You have more than a bolt there, You have a Complete action.
Its definately a mauser.
I know the feeling, I am obsessed with World War two firearms as well.
Old June 27, 2010, 07:24 PM   #5
PetahW

Unless my eyes deceive me (your pic isn't very clear on my box), you have a Argentine 1909 Mauser 98 action, with nice aftermarket engraving & polish/bluing, ready to be assembled into one of the most desireable custom rifles, with the most preferred action for custom rifles, the world over.

It's identifiable by the receiver crest, which shows it was once issued as an "Engineer's Carbine".:

Last edited by PetahW; June 27, 2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old June 27, 2010, 08:24 PM   #6
ocdcr

I tried to post some clearer photos of the markings/emblem on the receiver. One marking looks like a swastika. The other looks like a bow and arrow inside a "sun" like emblem. Also, on the undersurface of the receiver there appears to be a worn swastika by the SN. There are no words or numbers other than the SN several places on the receiver, safety, bolt, trigger, trigger action??. Thanks again for looking and all help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1506.jpg (214.7 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1511.jpg (185.8 KB, 129 views)

Last edited by ocdcr; June 27, 2010 at 08:42 PM. Reason: figuring out posting photos
Old June 27, 2010, 08:54 PM   #7
TX Hunter

On top of the Chamber it apears to be a Bow and Arrow, surounded by a gear like pattern.

This is the most interesting reciever I have ever seen.
Old June 27, 2010, 09:16 PM   #8
Darren007

The markings and action are of a Model 98 Mauser made for the Chinese. Manufactured around 1907.
Old June 27, 2010, 09:17 PM   #9
Scorch

Sorry, PetahW, but that is not a 1909 Argentine, wrong bolt stop and wrong floorplate. And the swastika is not a Nazi swastika, the arms point the wrong way. I have never seen one like it, but then there were literally hundreds of countries and personal guard groups that ordered Mausers from all the makers. My guess would be some Asian group, but since the receiver has been polished and engraved, I am sure it was scrubbed, so those markings may have been added for whoever paid for the engraving.
Old June 27, 2010, 09:20 PM   #10
TX Hunter

MR Scorch

Look at the Safety, It does not look like a Mauser 98 German Safety, or a VZ 24 or Yugo.

It looks like the safety on the Turkish Mausers, and the Sweedish Mausers.
One thing is for certain, Thats a beautifull action, and would make a nice rifle.
Did you notice all the 7s on the action? Its very awesome looking.
Old June 27, 2010, 09:23 PM   #11
Darren007

Quote:
One thing is for certain...
...it's a 1907 Chinese Mauser.

BTW TX Hunter, I'm not sure why you think the safety looks odd. Thats a standard model 98 safety and looks no different than other factory Model 98 safety.

Last edited by Darren007; June 27, 2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old June 27, 2010, 09:43 PM   #12
ocdcr

I talked to some family and was updated. My step grandfather was a combat photographer/documenter in eastern asia (Burma, etc) areas in WWII and in Korea . Not sure if he got much on the western fronts in WWII. Most edged weapons appear to the india/burma and phillipino.

Also, research quickly more on the swastika and realize it has an extensive history, just initial instinct it nazi. But from my reading, does not appear to be nazi.
Old June 27, 2010, 09:52 PM   #13
Darren007

Quote:
Also, research quickly more on the swastika and realize it has an extensive history, just initial instinct it nazi. But from my reading, does not appear to be nazi.
The "swastika" has been used by the Buddhists for centuries and is still in use today. It's a fairly common marking on a lot of rifles used by Asian countries around the turn of the century. And no in this particular instance it doesn't have anything to with the nazis.
Old June 27, 2010, 09:56 PM   #14
Para Cassatt

Its a very nice action, too bad they didn't turn the bolt down.What chamberings have you considered?
Old June 27, 2010, 10:39 PM   #15
ocdcr

I found this post while searching out chinese mausers. Just about the same, except this one has a star where mine has a swastika, and mine has all the engraving.

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/mau...se-mauser.html

thinking it is likely an 8mm mauser
Old June 27, 2010, 11:28 PM   #16
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've seen several claims on the web that the Bow and Arrow marking is a Chinese administration stamp that wasn't used until the mid 1940s, and only on Mausers manufactured in China under license.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 28, 2010, 07:22 AM   #17
mapsjanhere

Mike, the Chinese manufacture would explain the lack of German proof marks which you'd expect on an exported gun.
Old June 28, 2010, 11:13 AM   #18
PetahW

Thank you for posting better pics - your action is most definitely not an Argi.

FWIW, the rectangular receiver ring panel with ideographs within is a Chinese arsenal stamp.

AFAIK, the "China Standard Model (Arsenal #21)" emblem from Lapin's Inscriptions in Non-Western Languages chapter describes it as the one with the swastika in it rather than the star or diamonds.

If the action is, in fact, a Czech 98/22 made for China, it will have a small "z" stamped into the bottom.
If not, then it's a Chinese copy of the Mauser 98.

If it's a copy, I would have a gunsmith give it a hardness test, before I sunk one penny into it for making a custom rifle.
Old June 28, 2010, 06:11 PM   #19
James K
Member In Memoriam

That bow and arrow plus the marking identifies it as the so-called Chiang Kai-Shek Model short rifle, made in China under license from Mauser. There usually is a date below the Chinese marking. BTW, that marking does include a backward swastika, but it is not a Nazi symbol.

See Ball, 4th Edition, Page 97.

Jim
Old June 28, 2010, 07:07 PM   #20
simonkenton

Is a Mauser made in China a quality rifle?
Old July 1, 2010, 02:14 PM   #21
gyvel

Definitely a Chinese made Mauser action. I've also seen the bow and arrow trademark on some airguns and .22 trainers made made in the 70's.

As far as the quality of the action, it's anyone's guess.
Old July 1, 2010, 02:41 PM   #22
simonkenton

I read somewhere that the Chinese Mausers were of poor quality.
Old July 1, 2010, 07:21 PM   #23
ocdcr

I am going to try and take it to a gunsmith to test the hardening. I have looked at the bolt/receiver all over with a penlight and magnifying glass and the only markings are the SN, emblems, and swastika on the floorplate. There is a 7 that seems "random" on the receiver. I have thought about taking off the floorplate to see if anything under there. But, so far I am unable to find any "z" or dates. I will update when I find anything of interest out. Thanks to all for the imput. Great site. Look forward to being a member.
Old July 2, 2010, 08:41 AM   #24
TX Hunter

ODCR

Thats a good idea, if it checks out, It would make a very nice sporter.