The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 26, 2010, 02:18 PM   #26
johnwilliamson062

Although i pretty much agree and my scatterguns simply have carry slings.

Quote:
I've only seen a bipod on an internet gun forum, never on a police or military shotgun
Rifle barrel on a hunting slug gun seems reasonable.

Quote:
While I love the look of a heatshield, I'm smart enough to realize that it would only be needed to keep from burning your hand on a hot barrel when bayoneting someone. I think the last time someone was bayoneted in a trench with a pump shotgun was....1918'ish
It isn't that far fetched for your hand to come in contact with the barrel, I would find firing at such a rate to heat the barrel that much less likely than touching the barrel.

Quote:
Show me one US soldier or a police officer with that setup.
Show me where a US soldier selects their weapon and has a lot of money to do so. Most civilians don't intend to hump their shotgun for 20 miles.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; May 26, 2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old May 29, 2010, 01:25 PM   #27
mike6975

isn't that better than having to fire your weapon ?,i thought(there i go ) that using any method but lethal ones would be better than a fatal one.

mike
Old May 29, 2010, 05:08 PM   #28
hawk shooter

More info needed

Mike,

In order for your question to be answered, you need to provide some more information. Depending on what you have, you may just be able to order one and screw it in yourself.

-what shotgun do you own and is it threaded for choke tubes

-if not, what breacher device are you interested in

-do you have tha tools and capability to thread your own barrel

-what is your budget for this project
Old May 29, 2010, 07:18 PM   #29
DPris
Member Emeritus

Mike,
The idea of installing & using a "toothy" breacher choke as a pain compliance device on a shotgun is ill-advised.
You don't want to get that close unless you have no choice, distance is your friend.
If you do find yourself forced into contact proximity, you do not want to be jabbing somebody in the chest or stomach with the end of a shotgun to persuade them to stop whatever it is that they're doing, or getting ready to do, to you.

You get that close, you're essentially handing them your gun. A grab reaction is almost inevitable, at which point you find yourself wrestling for possession.
Unless you're bigger, stronger, more pumped, or you've had some instruction on baton/long gun retention and recovery, you're quite likely to lose.

If the situation indicates you having a shotgun in hand, it's use is as a firearm, not as a club or pain compliance device.
You run the additional risk of not only losing the gun, but having it either fire accidentally during the scuffle or having it turned on you.

One of the last things you ever want to do is put (or get) yourself into the position of wrestling with someone over a gun, of any type.

Yes, a chest rake can work, but when would you use it? Unless you're in law enforcement & required to physically engage and subdue a subject in terminating the encounter, there's little other reason to do so, and for most situations the risks mentioned don't justify it.

Denis
Old May 29, 2010, 07:59 PM   #30
oneounceload

Mike - if you are at the point in a situation where you have drawn a weapon, then worrying about a "non-lethal" injury is not advisable. If you are NOT in fear for your life or that of your family, then you have no business brandishing a gun. If you ARE in fear for your life, then you need to be prepared to use the deadly force to protect yourself and your family. If you are not ready to do that ( and no one can say they are), then perhaps not using the gun is a better alternative for you
Old May 30, 2010, 10:45 AM   #31
mike6975

great insight!

thanks you two!,thats some sound advice never thought of that,i guess i should have put more thought into it before posting my question.many thanks.

Respectfully,

mike
Old May 30, 2010, 07:05 PM   #32
DPris
Member Emeritus

Good luck.
Denis