The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 22, 2010, 05:33 PM   #1
mike6975

installing tactical breaching choke tube

hey guys if i want to do my own "job" and install it,what tools and or gen. info do i need to know before i go about doing this.i mean is it really that hard of a job?,or is it better to send it out?.i appreciate any info or help.

Respectfully,

mike
Old May 22, 2010, 09:19 PM   #2
oneounceload

Are you planning on breaching your own doors from the inside.....or are you planning on going to save your neighbors?
Old May 22, 2010, 09:28 PM   #3
usmcgundog

Are you planning on breaching your own doors from the inside.....or are you planning on going to save your neighbors?
What difference does it make who's doors he will be Breaching? The guy just asked a simple question.
Old May 23, 2010, 12:29 AM   #4
DPris
Member Emeritus

If you already have a barrel threaded for Rem Chokes, it'll screw right in.
Otherwise you'll need to get yours threaded.
It'd be cheaper to get it professionally threaded than it would be to buy the tooling.
Denis
Old May 23, 2010, 02:01 AM   #5
Scattergun Bob

usmcgundog

Quote:
What difference does it make who's doors he will be Breaching? The guy just asked a simple question.
I think if you do a search for "oneounceload" post in our forum you will find that he is very clear and profound with his answers, to REAL and well written questions. I wounder WHY if this offended you, did YOU not take the time to answer the OP's question, not simply sling a little mud?

mike6975, There are several types of breaching tools available, soldered and choke extensions. You seem to be asking about the screw-in choke extension type. As the above poster indicated you will need to have a threaded barrel to accomplish your goal. Make sure that the breaching tool you buy matches the thread pattern that is in your barrel.

Remember, the installation of a breaching tool will not aid in the pattern or effectiveness of your fighting scattergun in a positive way. It is simply a standoff devise to aid in the penetration of doors.

Threading a barrel in my humble option would not be a at DIY activity, best got to your local gun doctor for help.

Good Luck & Stay Safe
Old May 23, 2010, 03:12 AM   #6
ISC

Learned something new on this thread. I never knew such a thing exists. I did a quick search and see that they are available for a couple different model shotguns. I wouldn't have any use for one, and I own more useless gun stuff than most gun nuts, but if I wanted one I'd definately buy one that was made for thr purpose instead of making one myself. It does seem that installing it is as easy as switching chokes, which is definately a DIY job if you have the right parts for the right shotgun.
Old May 23, 2010, 08:15 AM   #7
noyes

Reasons to consider special custom choke work and custom choke tubes

http://theshotgunshop.net/article_1.html

http://theshotgunshop.net/article_3.html

SHOTGUN BALLISTIC BREACHING

http://www.pro-patria.us/ballistic_breaching

Last edited by noyes; May 23, 2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old May 23, 2010, 11:46 AM   #8
usmcgundog

I think if you do a search for "oneounceload" post in our forum you will find that he is very clear and profound with his answers, to REAL and well written questions. I wounder WHY if this offended you, did YOU not take the time to answer the OP's question, not simply sling a little mud?

I know "oneounceload" has some very good and interesting post here on this site, and bends over backwards to help people out here. It did not offend me, the guy was just asking a question. I just made a statement. Call it mud slinging if you want.
You are correct I did not take time out to answer the Question.
Because i did not know the CORRECT answer! Im not afraid to admit to that.
But you know what, i now know SHOTGUN BALLISTIC BREACHING
and the methods. This is a good site, and if i struck a nerve or slung mud.
That was not my goal.
Old May 23, 2010, 11:57 AM   #9
oneounceload

Alright, my question DID have a slight twinge to it for one reason. If the OP just wants something that looks cool, go ahead and install one - they come in two flavors - those added to the exterior requiring the barrel to be threaded, and those preinstalled on a choke tube that threads on the interior of the barrel. IMO, it is an unnecessary device, because I do not think the average homeowner has a need for this inside their own home. I would not want the OP to think this device gave him magical Rambo-type power for "clearing his house", when he might be best served to hunker down in his bedroom calling 911 with his gun pointed at the door.

(I DO appreciate the comments about my posts though - thank you)
Old May 23, 2010, 01:32 PM   #10
DPris
Member Emeritus

If it is the Remington "breaching" choke in question, Remington does not intend for that one to actually be used for breaching.
Company says the threads are not designed for the pressures. It's for looks only.
Denis
Old May 23, 2010, 08:18 PM   #11
Kmar40

Don't forget to add the heat shield and a bayonet lug.

All the real operators have them.
Old May 23, 2010, 08:32 PM   #12
the rifleer

I'd like to point out that a choke is not at all necessary for blowing off door hinges. Chokes are used to control the pattern of shot over a distance. When your shooting at point blank range, a cylinder bore does just fine. I'd be willing to bet the door hinge would never even know...
Old May 23, 2010, 08:37 PM   #13
dogtown tom

Quote:
Kmar40 Don't forget to add the heat shield and a bayonet lug.

All the real operators have them.
Don't forget these essential "fighting tactical ninja LEO only shotgun" items:
Rails
Single point slings with bandolier of extra rounds
Sharks with lasers bungeed to the forearm
bipod
Sidesaddle on receiver
Sidesaddle on buttstock
Spraypainted "skull" logo somewhere on gun

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE

Last edited by dogtown tom; May 23, 2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old May 23, 2010, 08:39 PM   #14
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

When you want to breach a door as a civvie just hold the muzzle 3 inches off the lock action or hinges and let 'er rip... if you want the look of a breacher, just buy the hole saw with the right I.D. and jb weld it on and paint it OD or flat black to match the gun... will cost under 15 bucks
Brent
Old May 23, 2010, 08:44 PM   #15
dogtown tom

Quote:
the rifleer I'd like to point out that a choke is not at all necessary for blowing off door hinges. Chokes are used to control the pattern of shot over a distance. When your shooting at point blank range, a cylinder bore does just fine. I'd be willing to bet the door hinge would never even know...
The tacticool "breacher" choke is mounted similiarly to a standard screw in choke. that's why it is often referred to as a "choke"- not because it actually provides control of the shot pattern. It has "teeth" that allow the ninja to jam the teeth into the door frame to have sufficient distance from muzzle to hinge/deadbolt/etc. They should be used with breaching rounds (powdered lead) made for this specific purpose.

I have found that knocking on the door three times fast, two slow, three fast is much quieter.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old May 23, 2010, 08:54 PM   #16
noyes

WOW a person ask a question and get's slammed.

Last edited by noyes; May 23, 2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old May 23, 2010, 10:45 PM   #17
Kmar40

Old May 23, 2010, 11:19 PM   #18
hawk727

You guys are funny...I needed a good laugh. Thanks.
Old May 24, 2010, 01:03 AM   #19
Head-Space

Jeez, Gawd! Does anybody shoot trap any more?
Old May 24, 2010, 06:56 AM   #20
jlv08

I see a lot of new folks come here and talk "tacticool" shotguns.

A shot gun in plain form is an awesome weapon that is very effective( Am I preaching to the choir?) for home defense and any other kind of defense when a rifle is impractible and a pistol isn't powerful enough.

Oneounceload hit the nail on the head and I appreciate the fact that his comments provoke thought on some of the issues brought up here in these forums.

My home defense shotgun is as plain jane as you can get and will remain so due the the fact that, if ever employed for a defensive situation that lands me in a court to articulate to a judge why I had to dispatch an assailant, it will only have what is needed to do the job and I will not have to explain away all of the add ons the make the gun look like I wanted to kill someone.

The things that folks do and share in here with their shotguns are one thing, but having to explain to a judge and jury who have been pounded by the media about the evils of firearms and being exposed to some of the darth vader looking rigs I've seen posted here is another. I'm not knocking what a person wants and how they dress there shotguns up. I'm just saying that Joe Q. public may not share our views on "tacticool" and that may pose a problem in a court of law in some cases where such weapons may be deployed.

Trial lawyers are a horrible lot and will make hay out of nothing.
Old May 24, 2010, 07:23 AM   #21
Glock_19

Quote:
A shot gun in plain form is an awesome weapon that is very effective( Am I preaching to the choir?) for home defense and any other kind of defense when a rifle is impractible and a pistol isn't powerful enough.
I completely agree, the only mod I might make to a HD shotgun would be an 18" barrel. Other than that it would be a stock field gun.
Old May 24, 2010, 08:14 AM   #22
Beentown71

I am sure he feels welcome...

Maybe he is wanting to put one on to sell it quicker. Who knows. Maybe for the heck of it. If he wants a Tacticool shotgun so be it. I don't see anyone giving the NFA/full auto people crap. How "useful" is full auto for the layman? Its not. It just cool/fun.

Beentown

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old May 24, 2010, 10:40 AM   #23
dogtown tom

Quote:
I don't see anyone giving the NFA/full auto people crap. How "useful" is full auto for the layman? Its not. It just cool/fun.

Beentown
They don't give the NFA/full auto people crap because few of them bolt on accessories to look cool.

The great majority of "tactical" accessories for a fighting shotgun are unnecessary. While I'm sure some ninja operator somewhere has a use for a particular accessory, it seems odd that the police and military- those who actually use fighting shotguns the most adhere to the KISS principle.

-While I love the look of a heatshield, I'm smart enough to realize that it would only be needed to keep from burning your hand on a hot barrel when bayoneting someone. I think the last time someone was bayoneted in a trench with a pump shotgun was....1918'ish.

-I've only seen a bipod on an internet gun forum, never on a police or military shotgun.

-Carrying all your ammo ON the gun.
870 w/7+1 mag extension
+
Six rounds on the receiver sidesaddle
+
six rounds on your buttstock sidesaddle,
+
twenty rounds looped on your sling
=
One heavy shotgun:barf: Show me one US soldier or a police officer with that setup.

What you WILL see: an 870 w/7+1 extension, plain bead front sight, wood or synthetic stock. That is pretty much it.

Last edited by dogtown tom; May 24, 2010 at 10:46 AM.
Old May 26, 2010, 12:51 PM   #24
mike6975

actually,i was using it as a "pain compliant" type tool as,this choke has more than one application.also i liked to thank the "marine" who stood up for me when i was getting flamed for asking a "simple" question SEMPER FI!,

Respectfully,

mike
Old May 26, 2010, 02:14 PM   #25
johnwilliamson062

In almost all cases a civilian using pain compliance techniques is not legally advisable.