The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 23, 2008, 06:51 PM   #1
johnnyeastside

New Guy Intro. 1st gun

I've been lurking and learning from you guys for a week or 2. I just bought my first gun. A Mossberg 500. It came with a top folding stock, but I don't like it. I'm shopping for an adjustable stock. 20" inch barrel, 8 shot. It's for home defense. I hope to get to shoot it a lot. A few friends have some land to shoot at and I need to get familiar with this gun. The wife is looking forward to trying it out, and I had a talk with my 11 year old about it so she won't need to feel 'curious'. I haven't shot it yet. Only had it for a week. I've been reading as much as I can online from guys like you. I still need to figure out where to keep it and what to load it with. We live in a town house in a nice quiet neighborhood in Harford Co. MD. There was a home invasion on the main road a few blocks away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02894.jpg (132.7 KB, 145 views)
Old November 23, 2008, 08:58 PM   #2
Deegle

Congrats. That is a fine looking HD gun.
Old November 23, 2008, 10:17 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

A couple things....

Get the stock fitted to the smallest shooter and learn to run the gun as is.

Wood stocks provide the easiest modification.

For now, shoot it with 7/8 oz loads. If you can't find them ask over at Valley Gun Shop on Harford Rd. 410-668-2171. Trust me on this.

The light loads will get you over the form hump. Once your form gels, you can handle heavier stuff.
Old November 23, 2008, 10:24 PM   #4
madcratebuilder

Quote:
For now, shoot it with 7/8 oz loads. If you can't find them ask over at Valley Gun Shop on Harford Rd. 410-668-2171. Trust me on this.

The light loads will get you over the form hump. Once your form gels, you can handle heavier stuff.
Good advise. The Knoxx recoil reducing stock help with the heavy loads. You can find new/used on evil bay cheap.
Old November 25, 2008, 08:10 PM   #5
Streaker

Thats a pretty fine weapon you have there madcratebuilder.
How about giving us a rundown on what you used for that build.
Old November 25, 2008, 09:27 PM   #6
zippy13

Greetings, johnnyeastside, and welcome aboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McC
A couple things....

Get the stock fitted to the smallest shooter and learn to run the gun as is.

Wood stocks provide the easiest modification.

Dave's one of the resident gurus around here and you can take his recommendations to the bank.

You have quite a few decisions ahead of you. Living in a townhome with a wife child are factors that must be considered when selecting how best to utilize your new gun for home defense. May I suggest that you check out Scattergun Bob's recent thread Level 101 Fighting Shotguns
Old November 25, 2008, 09:34 PM   #7
johnnyeastside

Thanks guys. I've read that 'Level 101' post a few times already. I'm trying to soak up all this good info and advice. I'll be asking lots of questions....