The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 12, 2007, 09:34 AM   #1
Tadpole Starr

380 shotshells?? No can Find

I did find them for my 45 ACP, made by CCI, but cannot find them for the 380which is ideal for carrying while prospecting the desert for rattlesnakes.

I bought some 38/357 shotshell capsuls by spear, thinking that I can cut them down, but no way can I get them small enough.

The other option that I can think of is to buy some in 9MM and remove them and put them in the 380 shell.

Could this work, OR do you have any other ideas. I could carry the 45, but it is too valuable, unless I expected trouble. I could try to shoot the snakes with bullets from the 380, but this can be dangerous. Or, I could use a rock!! Maybe send my wife out ahead of me.
Old April 12, 2007, 10:25 AM   #2
WCW

I’ve often wondered about so called snake loads. I carry a walking stick to shoo away any rattlers that I come across, and in years of prowling around the desert, I have never had to kill one. Mostly they are going the opposite direction. I do however carry a .45 loaded to the eyes with hollowpoints for any chance encounters with the two-legged variety of snakes one can encounter in the desert these days.
Old April 12, 2007, 04:59 PM   #3
mrawesome22

I don't understand why you would want to kill a rattlesnake. If you see one, leave it alone and it will leave you alone. If you don't see it and it bites you, what is the point of killing it? It's not its fault you walked into his territory. Or do you hunt them down to eat them? I've heard they are very tasty.
Old April 12, 2007, 05:16 PM   #4
tINY

Maybe you should pick up a second hand 38 revolver. Should be able to find one for around $200 for what you want....

-tINY

Old April 12, 2007, 06:23 PM   #5
Dave R

If they make them for 9mm, you MIGHT be able to make them work. If you can seat them deep enough to feed properly. .38 special shot capsules are the right diameter, but I'll bet they're too long.
Old April 12, 2007, 09:04 PM   #6
TEDDY

shot shells

45acp were made for military originaly.most practicle is a revolver.shot in rifled barrel they make a donut hole pattern.
Old April 13, 2007, 12:01 AM   #7
DWARREN123

380/9mm are smaller diameter bullets than 38 spl so I would think the shot capsules are also. 9mm shot capsules might work in 380 cases, have to check to see if they will chamber.