The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 9, 2007, 12:06 PM   #1
ECLIPSE45ACP

Lee Anniversary kit with 4 piece die set

Hello Eveyone. I am starting to discover that the cost of 45 auto is getting expensive. I was looking at the Lee Anniversary kit to begin to reload my own ammo with the 4 piece die set that includes the Carbide Factory Crimp Die. If I am starting out and dont want to make a huge initial investment, as well as not worrying about putting out 400 ronds per hour, would this be a good starter for me to learn the new trade? Also what else would I need to make the most accuarate measurements? I have heard a micrometer on the powder tube is very useful. Any input would be much appreciated!

thanks

Dan
Old January 9, 2007, 12:26 PM   #2
Clayfish

Get the kit and get started. Make sure to read the manual that you get with the kit, it's a good one. The only other thing you might need is a set of calipers but that is not nessesary. Another manual or two is always useful.
Old January 9, 2007, 02:48 PM   #3
ECLIPSE45ACP

thanks, so is this a good one to start with? some are more money, but I have heard good things about this press for the money.
Old January 9, 2007, 03:15 PM   #4
cloudcroft

ECLIPSE45ACP,

I used to have a Challenger Press and it worked just fine. Also, it seems to get pretty good owner-reviews at Midway (http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/149097).

I was going to suggest that you get the "semi-progressive" Lee Classic Turret Press instead of the Challenger Press in the kit, but then you'd still have to get the other items that come with the kit so the total cost with the Classic Turret instead of the Challenger sure wouldn't be $74.99.

Of course, it's up to you what to get based on your own specs/budget.

-- John D.
Old January 9, 2007, 03:16 PM   #5
JDG

The aniversary kit is what I started on. Get some calipers, 45 sized loading blocks, if shooting brass cases, a tumbler would be handy. Nickle plated cases, you can simply wipe clean. Your gonna need a manual or two, lots of data online also. Good luck, and load safe!
Old January 9, 2007, 04:11 PM   #6
Zippy06

Hi,
Started with the Lee turret. 1986. It's slower than a progressive. But, you get a better feel, for what you are doing.
Go to Midwayusa.com(they have it all). Or Cabela's (berry's bullets). Buy primers and powder local (shipping and Hazmat fee).
Ebay is great for brass (watch the prices. some of these people are nuts. Or they are gambling). But, range pick up is free.
I started with my own brass. You buy it and shot it. You know where it came from. And how many times, reloaded. If you keep a log. Buy the stickers and keep a log. It's real easy to mix your brass. Brass doesn't last forever. It stretches. That is one of the ways. To get hurt or have to buy a new gun.
Buy Lee's Load manual and the shooter CD.
Where safety glasses and have fun.
Old January 9, 2007, 06:09 PM   #7
tstone

I just bought the Lee Anniversary Kit and the 4-die set for my .44 mag. Haven't had a chance to reload any yet but it seems like it is going to be just the ticket. READ all the instructions for the dies and the accesories, read 'em again before you actually get started. Good luck.
Old January 9, 2007, 08:40 PM   #8
Buckythebrewer

IT WILL work great.I have used a challenger press for years now.I would recommend a case gauge(wilson maybe) as well for quick checks of your brass and for your self confidence starting out(they are cheap but handy as hell)..As time goes on you could always add to what you have..The only thing that I would want a turret press for is to not have to reset my dies all the time if I was reloading for handguns..A single stage will work fine but you will have to re-adjust your dies between stages..I Like doing things in single stage ,so even if I had a turret press I would not use the auto index(or whatever its called)..A hand primer is nice as well.

Like mentioned,the manuals are the most important tools you can have.I like LEE and LYMAN(all I have)and would like every single manual out there if I could get my hands on them..
I use a case gauge and a RCBS precision mic(only needed for cartridges in semi-auto's with a shoulder like my 223 in my ar15)).
I am glad I have both.The case gauge is a nice quick drop in to tell me that everything is within spec's(cases would fit in any 223 rifle).The The precision mic is used to check shoulder displacement when firing in a semi(nothing to do with your 45 auto)like the ar15.
Yes get a caliper and all the measuring tools that you need(1"inch mic would be nice if you have the EXtra dough),But Get an inexpensive case gauge for good piece of mind as well..
I think you got the perfect die set and I think you will be very happy with a challenger or a turret by Lee.Very inexpensive ,but all great products IMO.