The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 17, 1999, 01:04 AM   #1
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

I just got in the mail today TWO new Spyderco NATIVE knives.

I was impressed with the Gigands at there value.
Impressed with the AFCK series for it's versatility.
The Culloden for it's heritage in the design...

The Native?
It is SO SHARP! A LAZER isn't this sharp! I am afraid of these knives. These knives are so sharp - I can't articulate this very well.
I ran my finger on its edge... like I do every knife I examin AND IT SLICED ME! I did not even feel it untill I left a bloody fingerprint. The cut closed fast and is fine now... I shaved a bald spot in my forearm with so little effort - seriously... none at all. Also, the "shave test" usually doesnt filet the top layer of SKIN of with it...

WOW.

From now on - it is Spyderco...

I have a serated edge and a plain edge model. The blades are made of GIN-1 stainless which is better than ATS-34 or ATS-55. I have been cutting stuff all day and they are still just as sharp as when I opened the box.

SWEET knives.

The design of the handle is very nice - it LOCKS the knife into your hand. Slipping the grip is just not going to happen unless your doing something very stupid.

The Endura, and the Police are the sharpest knives I ever had... but these are actually sharper...

------------------
"There is no limit to stupidity. Space itself is said to be bounded by its own curvature, but stupidity continues beyond infinity."
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

Old September 17, 1999, 01:52 PM   #2
TaxPhd

George,

Have you got a good (cheap) mail order source for these?
Old September 17, 1999, 11:40 PM   #3
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

I have ordered knives from all over the net and even bought from the little stores in the malls... Which you should NEVER DO!

The place that has given me the most consistant results... lowest wait times...
www.abc-direct.com

With us priority mail I usually get my purchase in 2 days. And thats very good. Just always specify that you dont want it sent via UPS... I have a knife floating around out there for about a month now and UPS is still "tracking it"

------------------
"There is no limit to stupidity. Space itself is said to be bounded by its own curvature, but stupidity continues beyond infinity."
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Old September 21, 1999, 01:55 AM   #4
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

Damn fine blade isn't it, George? I've been carrying one for about a year now. Plain edge, don't want it to look 'menacing' now, do we?

------------------
Byron Quick

Old September 21, 1999, 03:27 AM   #5
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Heck no!
We dont want an Airport Renta-slob to keep it like Rich's Sebenza!

I am inquiring to Spyderco regarding those Black clips with the Gold Spyder like the uppercrust Spydies have... The Native may be a lower priced knife - but it is MOST EXCELENT. If HK made knives - they would be Spyderco...

------------------
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE