The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 26, 2000, 08:27 AM   #1
kurts66

Guys,

I'm interested in purchasing a Benelli Super Black Eagle in camo finish w/26" barrel for the coming duck season. I really like the idea of being able to shoot any shell size I choose. But if anyone has any opinions - good or bad - on this or similar autos I'd appreciate your input. The best price i've seen is about $1,150.00 Can I do better?
Old August 28, 2000, 10:18 PM   #2
Rutgers

I have posted this before, and lots of guys may say I'm beating a dead horse, but here goes. I used to work for a goose hunting outfitter in texas. We ran approx 600 guys a season through our lodge. Many were "armed" with SBE's. A very high percentage of these guns broke (extraction problems, cant elaborate because I just shoot them, not fix them. Dont know most of the parts that make the gun go bang). I have used an 11-87 for quite a while and found it tio be flawless. Plus you'll have enough cash left over for a couple cases of steel with what you save from not buying the SBE. You wont regret not buying one... Trust me.:-)
Old September 2, 2000, 12:05 AM   #3
kurts66

Thanks for your input Rutgers. I appreciate the feedback. Anyone else?
Old October 7, 2000, 02:04 PM   #4
Turk

Just purchased a SBE today. 26" barrel, wood and high gloss this gun is replacing my Auto-5 Lt.12 for waterfowl and Turkey. I didn't want a camo gun. I like the look and feel of wood stocked and gloss bluing. Anyway ove the last 39 years never used a camo gun and have killed a large number of ducks and geese and always figured that once the duck saw the shine of the barrel the shot was all ready on its way.

I paid $999.00 for it reg. price was $1049.00.

Going out right not to see how it shoots all different length shells.

Turk.