The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 11, 2017, 03:35 PM   #1
noahlewis

Baby Browning

If you have one, what's your opinion of it.
Old February 11, 2017, 04:50 PM   #2
mk70ss

I had one and sold it. Very well made, cool, and classy little gun. Mine functioned perfectly with FMJ ammo. The thing was just too small for my hands to use in a self defense situation. Plus, lets face it, .25 ACP is at the bottom of the food chain. Fun toy for the range though.
Old February 11, 2017, 07:09 PM   #3
Bill DeShivs

They are one of the finest pocket guns. You can not make a .380 as small as the Browning.
And, .25s still do what they always did.
Old February 11, 2017, 11:02 PM   #4
bn12gg

Mine was made in the 50's -- nice little pistol, but pretty much just a collection piece. I shoot it several times per year -- clean and oil it. It doesn't blow my skirt up !!

David.
Old February 11, 2017, 11:06 PM   #5
Model12Win

I don't see the point of it. With so many pocket 9mm single stacks on the market, why bother with a Baby Browning?

All kidding aside, they are great guns. Well made little gems. Not safe to carry with a round in the chamber which is a downside, the striker is not drop safe and can jump the catch and discharge the gun.
Old February 12, 2017, 12:12 AM   #6
Bill DeShivs

The baby Browning is as safe as any striker-fired handgun. Literally millions of them have been pocket carried regularly. In about 47 years of pocket gun study, I have never heard of one going off accidentally. Have you?
Old February 12, 2017, 02:26 AM   #7
Sgt127

I have several .25's. to include a Baby Browning and a Bauer. The Bauer is a more recent made stainless copy of the Baby Browning. They run great.

I'm of the opinion that its not a good gun to carry cocked and locked. There is a very small sear engagement on the striker. If, big if, it were to shear off of slip off if the gun got a substantial impact, the gun would fire.

I carried a Baretta Bobcat for awhile. Recently I bought a new production Seecamp .25.

Just an outstanding little quality gun. DA only.
Old February 12, 2017, 08:38 AM   #8
AK103K

I had a Baby Browning, and one of the PSP copies, and carried them pretty regular back during the 80's and 90's. Mine were carried as a second BUG, usually wrapped in a bandana in my back pocket. Used to carry them loaded (round in the chamber, safety on) until a buddy had an issue with his. After that, I went to a Seecamp and put the Baby away. Still have the Seecamp, the Babys are long gone, although now I wish Id kept the Browning.

Quote:
In about 47 years of pocket gun study, I have never heard of one going off accidentally. Have you?
I have, and it was my buddy above that had the problem. He was working in his garden, bent over, and the gun discharged, blowing a hole in the back pocket of his jeans. Other than his pride, he wasnt hurt, nor was anyone else. He carried his as I did (I got the idea from him), in a folded bandana to break up its outline and give it some protection. Best he could figure, the safety got knocked off at some point, and the bandana somehow got into the trigger and when things pulled tight when he bent over, it went off.

Lesson learned, dont trust manual safeties and get a real holster.
Old February 12, 2017, 09:12 AM   #9
Kreyzhorse

Not the same thing, but I have a Colt 1908 Vest Pocket made in 1919. I shoot it and occasionally carry it.

I find it very accurate for what it is and while the small size can make it a challenge to get a good grip on, I really enjoy shooting it.

While it is a .25, and not my first choice to carry in a war zone, I don't feel under gunned running to the hardware store with it in my pocket.
Old February 12, 2017, 10:24 AM   #10
smee78

I have a pair of the Bauer's and they are fun little guns to shoot. One problem I had was getting a good mag to work, I got a few of the PSA (http://precisionsmallarms.com/) mags and they seem to be of good quality and functioned well in my guns. I usually carry them for formal affairs when a bigger gun is not possible. I also usually carry a little 25 when walking the dog in the neighborhood for critter dispatch if needed. The baby's have a interesting history and are cool for what they are.
Old February 12, 2017, 10:44 AM   #11
Ibmikey

Nicely made and normally trouble free pistol that can be hidden anywhere. Very " up close and personal" firearm for carefully placed shots.. I also have the Colt and Star .25's which are a bit easier to shoot but Baby is no slouch, just be sure of your target and the limitation of the ammo if you wish to carry a diminutive pistol.