The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 31, 2012, 04:38 PM   #1
PlentyOPlinking

Remington 1903-A3 From Cabela's

I very recently have purchased a 1903-A3 Springfield (Remington) from Cabela's. I found it on the used gun racks at the Rogers MN store. This is my first post with TFL. I have read through the Illustrated Guide to the '03 by Bruce Canfield but am looking for some additional insight into my particular rifle. The serial number and barrel date are within one month of each other; barrel 1/43 and receiver 2/43. The barrel bore is pristine. The stock does have the "OG" arsenal stamp but every other indication is that the rifle was not rebuilt as evidenced by the blued and not reparkerized furniture. Canfield does comment that the "OG" stamp is seen on many factory original rifles. Enough of my biased opinion; please look at the photos and let me know if I am on the right track or just wishful thinking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 298 20%.JPG (80.4 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg 295 20%.JPG (94.6 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg barrel 20%.JPG (48.1 KB, 106 views)
Old September 1, 2012, 07:59 AM   #2
madcratebuilder

Look at the fore-end cartouches just in front of the trigger guard. Is it the correct wood? If everything is marked Remington you may have a original condition rifle. It is possible to have a rearsenal mark on a untouched rifle.

Nice looking A3.
Old September 1, 2012, 01:53 PM   #3
PlentyOPlinking

The stamps fore the trigger guard look like a square (or two), triangle and 2 circles; can't make out what is inside. See additional photos for the markings that I could find. Thanks for input.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fore Triggerguard TFL.JPG (90.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Side Markings TGL.JPG (63.2 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg firing proof TFL.JPG (72.7 KB, 41 views)
Old September 1, 2012, 09:11 PM   #4
TX Hunter

Plenty O Plinjkin

Beautifull Rifle, I bought my 1903A3 from Cabelas also, but mine was in Buda Texas, I love the Gun Library its a Special Place.
It would be nice if you could include at least one full picture, not just the markings a nice picture of the Rifle.
Old September 1, 2012, 10:06 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Many of those '03A3's were never issued; they went from factory right to depot storage because there were enough M1 rifles to go around. Many were later sold through DCM or given to allied nations under the military assistance program (MAP). But Army regulations required that rifles being sold had to be proved and inspected, so most have a second inspection cartouche and usually (not always) a second proof mark.

Jim
Old September 2, 2012, 06:35 AM   #6
madcratebuilder

^^^^^^^

What Jim said. The OP's stock is Remington with two proof marks. Appears to be sanded, not unusual at all. The trigger guard may be a S-C, need a better photo.
Old September 2, 2012, 09:34 AM   #7
PlentyOPlinking

Thank you madcratebuilder, James K, and TX Hunter for your help; it is exactly what I am looking for. Here are some additional photos. The closeup of the trigger guard ... it is a Smith Corona. I guess I am not too disappointed that I don't have a factory original, it will make it easier to take it to the range and enjoy it without thinking that I am putting too many miles on a "new" car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Left Side A3 TFL.JPG (69.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Right Side A3 TFL.JPG (72.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg My A3 SC Trigger Guard TFL.JPG (98.7 KB, 41 views)
Old September 3, 2012, 04:23 PM   #8
robmkivseries70

Just wiping the drool off of my key board.
Old September 3, 2012, 07:08 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

The stock finish is not original. Those stocks were oil treated and are quite dull looking; that stock appears to have been varnished or treated with some kind of shellac or polyurethane.

Jim
Old September 3, 2012, 07:28 PM   #10
PlentyOPlinking

Thanks to all for the comments. When I purchased the A3, the wood was very dry so I hit it with a little bees wax and lemon oil paste. As that is absorbed and evaporates, the shine tones down and is not as bright. Next time it needs feeding I'll just use the linseed oil.
Old September 4, 2012, 11:03 AM   #11
Freightman

I dare you take pictures of my rifle just kidding. Mine is a '44 with a '43 barrel I wrote Remington and they said that it was correct that the barrels were one to two moth apart. Is yours a two grove barrel? mine is and really yours and mine could be twins even the SN has the same first numbers. Mine shoots cast 200gr bullets all in the X and 10 ring at 100 yds. You have a beautiful rifle and they shoot great. If you do shoot cast be sure to fit the bullet to the bore and I keep mine between 1800 and 1950fps. Great shooters and collectors, lts of history.
Old September 4, 2012, 04:38 PM   #12
Chris_B

Nice looking rifle

Tags
1903-a3 springfield , remington 1903-a3