The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 22, 2010, 05:05 PM   #26
Straightshooter629

1) My SD/EDC weapon is always within 20 seconds of access.

2) I keep a minimum of 250 rounds for each firearm that I own.

3) Absolutely

I'm not sure I fully understand the significance of the bonus question. It's the confidence I have in my equipment that counts.
Old August 22, 2010, 05:46 PM   #27
bearone2

how long did you sit around thinking up these questions?
Old August 22, 2010, 07:47 PM   #28
armoredman

three questions about your SD gun
1). Is your SD gun more than 20 seconds from your reach right now?

Far less, it's on my belt.

2) How many dependable rounds of ammo for your SD gun could you gather-up and put into action within the next 5 minutes?

Enough.

3) In your SD's present condition, will it reliably fire 200 rds or more without lubricaton concern? If not, how many rounds would it fire?

Absolutely.

Bonus Question: Would your instructor or shooting partner share the same level of confindence that you have in your answers?

If you mean would my wife answer the questions the same way, yes. Does she have confidence in my answers about my sidearm, of course.
Old August 22, 2010, 08:19 PM   #29
trg42wraglefragle

I find it amazing how relaxed gun laws in America compared to New Zealand.
If a cop new I had a gun loaded not locked in a gun cabinet in New Zealand I would probably lose my gun licence.
All I've got for SD is my 870 in a gun cabinet with the key hidden in my draw, the no 4 buckshot rounds and 4 no 4 leadshot rounds hidden under my undies.
I could even get in trouble for not having those 7 shotgun rounds locked away.
Old August 22, 2010, 09:36 PM   #30
armoredman

Friend, in AZ you can walk into a gunshop, pick out your new handgun/shotgun/rifle, maybe a holster or sling, depending, maybe some ammo and other accesories, fill out the 4473, prove your identity and residence with your AZDL or ID card, wait the 15 minutes for the telephone check, pay your money, walk out, load and conceal if you wish, or carry openly, and away you go, legal as church on Sunday. Is good.
We have plenty of room here, and I met one Kiwi who moved here for our gun laws, worked for an armored trucking agency years ago.
Old August 22, 2010, 09:39 PM   #31
bearone2

actually in az with a ccw they don't even make the phone call.
Old August 22, 2010, 09:50 PM   #32
dreamweaver

1) one on me, one on the nightstand, one at the back door.......all w/i 20 seconds
2)at least 50 rounds for each, w/o going to the cabinet
3)yes, yes and yes.
Old August 22, 2010, 10:05 PM   #33
pilotjonesg

1. No, Im 1200 miles away for work, (cant carry), but when home within arms reach.
2. I do have 300 rnds always loaded.
3. Yes, the gun will fire, flawlessly.

Bonus: no instructor or partner.
Old August 22, 2010, 10:09 PM   #34
armoredman

That's true, bearone2, the only thing the CCW permit is good for now is recicprocity/resteraunt serving open alcohol/background check, no need for permit to carry concealed.
But, I don't want to thread drift too much for the OP, sorry.
Old August 23, 2010, 08:30 AM   #35
Glenn Dee

Less than 20 seconds away
12 extra rounds
Yes it will fire as much as I need to put through it

Based on the questions... I'm thinking I may need a rifle.

Glenn Dee
Old August 23, 2010, 09:32 AM   #36
demigod

Yes

Yes, and...

Yes.
Old August 23, 2010, 10:12 AM   #37
TailGator

1) No. Pistol is IWB.
2) I am at my office, so 22 rounds. When at home, currently between 600 and 650. Went shooting Saturday, so I am planning on picking up a few more boxes next payday.
3) It will definitely go over 200 rounds. How many more? It's a Glock 26, so probably many hundreds. When I take family members or friends to the range, it is not uncommon for it to go 200 to 500 rounds without being cleaned, just by each person putting 100 or so rounds through it. I have never fired it without cleaning until the crud stopped it, and I don't intend to do so.

Bonus Question: The answers are true, so why not?
Old August 23, 2010, 02:05 PM   #38
Mr. James

1. Yes. I work in the District of Columbia.

2. Zero. See above.

3. Yes, and then some.

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old August 23, 2010, 02:13 PM   #39
kraigwy

My SD gun (642) is ALWAYS in my pocket, well within the 3 sec reach question.

I have bullets and other guns scattered all over the house and shop, (even in the washing machine and dryer much to my wife's discuss).

I think I can get by regardless of what "my trainers" think. Besides my present trainers are the staff at the CMP, and they don't deal with SD that much.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 23, 2010, 03:29 PM   #40
bearone2

armoredman:
from shooters world:

Think You Know Your Privileges?

The new Constitutional Carry Law DOES NOT Provide the Same Rights as the CCW Permit Holder

Benefits of a Carrying Concealed Weapons (CCW) Permit
•Ability to carry a concealed weapon within 1,000 feet of a school. It is almost impossible to travel through the Metropolitan Phoenix area without crossing a 1,000 foot boundary of a school. You will need a permit to conceal carry throughout the valley. (Federal Law)
•A permit to carry a weapon in Arizona’s National Parks. If you want to carry concealed in National Parks located in Arizona (Grand Canyon) you need a permit. (Federal Law)
•Reciprocity to conceal carry in twenty five other states. If you plan on travelling and carrying concealed a permit is a must. (Arizona Law)
•One does not need a background check when purchasing a weapon, just show your permit with your identification. (Brady Bill)
•You need a conceal carry permit to carry your weapon in a commercial establishment that serves alcohol. If the establishment is not posted you may carry a concealed weapon into the bar if you have a permit and you do not consume alcohol there. (Arizona Law)
•When you take a concealed carry class you learn the laws of when you can use deadly force.
Old August 23, 2010, 05:13 PM   #41
P97

My answer to all three questions is yes, and the only time I can't get it instantly is where it is illegal to carry. I have 1000+ rounds that I can get quickly, unless I'm away from my usual residing places. I reload so I have both factory and reloads for mine. Wife and I both have the same caliber.

Last edited by P97; August 23, 2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old August 23, 2010, 06:46 PM   #42
curt.45

1.) yes
2.)plenty
3.)yes

Bonus Question: don't have either.
Old August 23, 2010, 07:38 PM   #43
orionengnr

1). Is your SD gun more than 20 seconds from your reach right now?
No... More like within arm's reach.
2) How many dependable rounds of ammo for your SD gun could you gather-up and put into action within the next 5 minutes?
Five minutes? If I choose .45 acp, which I would, easily over 1000 rounds. If I were to choose 9mm, about the same.
3) In your SD's present condition, will it reliably fire 200 rds or more without lubricaton concern? If not, how many rounds would it fire?
Yes.

Bonus Question: Would your instructor or shooting partner share the same level of confindence that you have in your answers?
Yes.
Old August 23, 2010, 08:40 PM   #44
skoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by warningshot
1). Is your SD gun more than 20 seconds from your reach right now? Yes or No.

This is your thread.

You go first.
Old August 24, 2010, 03:51 AM   #45
Glenn Bartley

A-1) Maybe one is within 20 seconds of me, maybe one is not. Your question begs to be answered with a question: Why should I tell you and the whole world whether or not I have a self defense firearm nearby to me?

A-2) The answer to this question is dependent upon a lot of things. If I had warning of an impending need to gather up ammo to be ready for action 5 minutes from now - I could gather up sufficient ammunition for an extended firefight if need be. If you mean, if the SHTF right now, how many rounds could I gather in 5 minutes - well, I do not even know if I could get close to the ammo once the bad stuff started as I cannot see the future. If you mean how many rounds do I have in magazines or speedloaders for any weapon that I have close by to use in a self defense situation, within any moment, then the answer is more like number 1 above - why should I tell you and the world.

My weapon(s) will fire as many rounds as they will fire before either the threat is stopped or before a malfunction of before I run out of ammo. I do not own a crystal ball and have no way of knowing the answer to this question in advance. I do tend to take care of my weapons. so, if you are asking - are my self defense weapons in well maintained condition - yes they are in that condition - well most of the time anyhow. Just like almost anyone I sometimes forget to clean one right after a trip to the range but that does not happen often. Right now they are in ready condition.

I am not in much of a telling mood right now. At other times I may have readily answered questions like this by telling you where this gun is and where is that one or how many loaded magazines I have on hand or how many rounds I have on hand but I am not in that frame of mind this morning.

This question also raises other questions. Are you asking this because you think people will give dishonest answers to your first 3 questions? If that is not it then why are you asking it? If it was aksed because you anticipated dishonesty, then why on earth would you expect people to honestly answer the bonus question? As for myself, I do not give a hoot what level of confidence others have in whether or not I have well maintained firearms and ammo at the ready because the only one I need to satisfy in that regard is myself and I am quite confident that such is the case.

All the best,
Glenn B
Old August 24, 2010, 07:57 AM   #46
DanThaMan1776

1. Within 20 seconds

2. 34

3. for sure.

bonus: single
Old August 24, 2010, 12:27 PM   #47
Gonzo4Hire

- Yes, on my right hip.

- I am wearing two spare mags. I have immediate (next room) access to about 5000 rounds, but I don't think I could carry them very far.

- Yes, quite easily.

Partner - Yes
Old August 24, 2010, 02:43 PM   #48
Edward429451

Quote:
Why should I tell you and the whole world whether or not I have a self defense firearm nearby to me?
Technically, it's none of anyones business but practically, who cares? If it's a government troll asking then we want them to know that we are armed to the teeth and do not trust them, and if its a citizen then we want them to know that they are not alone.

It's just talk. Very interesting though and I don't know about you folks but it gives me the warm fuzzies that more and more of my fellow Americans are arming themselves.
Old August 24, 2010, 02:48 PM   #49
B. Lahey

What the heck is an Adam Henry?