The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 29, 2006, 06:16 PM   #1
phrkshw

Does the new MAXPEDITION attache scream gun??? Pics included

I'm a college student and would love one of these bags for going to class, carrying all my books etc... but if everyone who sees it is going to wonder if i have a gun in one of the pockets its not really worth it. What are your thoughts?

Obviously everyone that is heavily involved in guns is going to know what could be inside, im more concerned with non-gun or even worse anti-gun people that make up the majority of people on campus.

Thanks for the thoughts

Old March 29, 2006, 06:47 PM   #2
Jart

Looks pretty generic to me. I wouldn't worry about it.

If it doesn't work out, you could always try the stealth approach:

Old March 29, 2006, 07:15 PM   #3
1inthechamber

If I saw someone walking around with that, I'd honestly think he/she was carrying camera equipment.
Old March 29, 2006, 07:31 PM   #4
renegadecreation

I currently attend college and wouldnt think twice about seeing someone with a bag like that (see people with similar bags on a daily basis)....Hell I might get me one to carry I like em
Old March 29, 2006, 11:33 PM   #5
Eghad

LOL @ the million Mom March bag

NRA Life Member
Old March 30, 2006, 09:52 AM   #6
doggscube

My college bag was a medium-sized surplus ALICE pack, OD green. It was as ugly as it was functional. I didn't care what people thought. That thing held an absurd amount of stuff.

-Jeff
Old March 30, 2006, 10:02 AM   #7
PSE

i think it scream "LOOK AT ME, I WANT TO BE JACK BAURE"
Old March 30, 2006, 01:55 PM   #8
Optical Serenity

Maxpedition makes amazing stuff, get it and you won't regret it at all.
Old March 30, 2006, 09:59 PM   #9
rifle59

The Maxpedition bag screams that you appreciate good gear. Plus, who cares if the anti's get their feelings hurt, they sure don't care about the right to protect yourself.
Old March 30, 2006, 11:04 PM   #10
Double Naught Spy

Yes, it is quite the man purse for the sensitive fellow who wishes to convey a sense of manly ruggedness in an expensive bag that hides his true firepower so as to not scare away the more timid beta males.

They make cool stuff. My wife uses another version for her pistol and loves it. It is a convenient carry, but not necessarily a fast draw. Unless things have changed, Maxpedition does not make any sort of modular holster gear for their bags. The compartment where you want to put the gun isn't always the compartment that does the best job of holding it, unfortunately. For my wife, we used a small sheet of kydex that holds her gun upright in the pocket in the same position all the time, but like a pocket holster should do, won't come out of the bag when the pistol is drawn. I think they could make big bonus bucks if they could at least provide a few modular internal pocket holsters.

If you want to go the full ubermensch ubertactical, then add a kevlar IIIa board as a stiffener to the main compartment or other compartment that covers the full size of the main section of the bag. It does not add much weight, gives structure to the bag, and then the bag can be used not just as a gun and gear toter, but as a small ballistic shield. After all, defense isn't just about shooting the other guy. It is about not getting shot.
Old March 31, 2006, 01:33 PM   #11
phrkshw

i like the kevlar idea, had never thought of that

this bag seems to have the exact pistol location i want. they made the pouch on the outside, no zippers but probably a little bit of velcro at the top.

and they make, what seems to be, a REALLY innexpensive almost cheap holster option for that compartment. not so much a holster as something to keep the gun from rolling around.

the back of it is velcro and from what i can tell from maxpeditions website the whole back of that compartment is also velcro. So its a retention strap more than a holster.

Old April 2, 2006, 01:29 AM   #12
hso

I've carried one of the old Blackhawk covert attache cases all over and no one has "made" me nor recognized that I was carrying a full size .45 in the holster in the velcro outer pocket.
Old April 2, 2006, 09:40 AM   #13
Kaylee

Perhaps.

But.. when I was a silly little flufflehead I went to a silly little flufflehead Liberal Arts college. I mean, they put the "Liberal" in "Liberal Arts" trust me.

Now.. we had a professor there who wore this photographer's vest all the time. Funny thing, every now and again he'd mention offhand something about the open carry laws of the state.. the man worked for years in an environment where everyone would FREAK if they knew he was carrying.

The point is.. anyone HERE would think "gun" in a heartbeat. He practically screamed "I'm carrying" .... but there at school, no one seemed the wiser.

I think you'd be fine.
Old April 2, 2006, 10:23 AM   #14
Bravo25

The item you are showing there is a new item that will be available in late April. It is called the "Operator". It is a slightly larger version of the MPB. I currently own the MPB, and I love it. I have adapted it my personal use by installing additonal mounting panels that are covered in velcro. I also have the holster shown above, and it works very well. I will be getting one of the Operators as soon as they are available, as I like the idea of the weapon pocket being outside the zippered compartment.

Maxpedition truely is hard use gear, and I have been happy with all of the items I own. They will most likely outlast me, which is what I look for when buying gear. Customer service is also one of the best I have seen.

When faced with impossible overwhelming odds, prudance would dictate the only thing left is to figure out what is possible, and to do it.

Punishment for all crimes should increase until the recitivism rate approaches zero.
Old April 3, 2006, 03:09 PM   #15
dairycreek

I recently retired as a college dean and if I saw that Maxpedition attache on campus I would not think a thing about it. So many students carry so much different stuff the Max would be just one more bag and nothing about it would particularly connote gun - or anything other than just student for that matter.

I carry a Max Jumbo Fatboy and can attest that their stuff is really high quality. If you buy it you will really enjoy it.

GOOD SHOOTING