The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 10, 2016, 05:01 AM   #26
Jeff22

diagnosing yourself

So a week ago I took a CCW strategies and deployment class from Spartan Tactical Training Group in Illinois. This is basically the same class as their Advanced Tactical Handgun class, except that you shoot from concealment. I used my Glock 19 out of a Bianchi Black Widow holster.

In the class we did lots of fast shooting at close range.

I dropped a bunch of points on the qualification course at the end. My group was good but shifted slightly to the left (I'm a right handed shooter) . I wasn't sure what happened, but I figured it had something to do with trigger control and maybe rushing shots because the time limits were tight.

Yesterday I went shooting at the indoor range and did a bunch of accuracy drills at 50 feet with the Glock 19. My groups were, once again, tight but shifted slightly to the left. I was shooting on IDPA silhouette targets, and they were right on the outer edge of the A zone at 9 o'clock.

Further investigation revealed that the probable cause for my shooting left was finger drag on the frame. Once I figured that out, my group went back to the center.

I'm glad I figured that out because I hate it when my shooting is off and I can't figure out why . . . didn't have this problem a few days ago shooting at training with my issue G22 either.