The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 14, 2018, 09:25 PM   #1
seeker_two

Ghost Ring Pistol Sights

With the popularity of RMRs for pistols and revolvers, I thought about other sight systems. In the late '90's to early 2000's, I remember several companies offered a high-visibility front sight (brass or fiber optic) paired with a rear ghost-ring sight. As with most fads, it was the bee's knees for a time, but it fell from favor quickly.

Does anyone still make ghost-ring sights for handguns? And, what are the advantages and disadvantages of such a system?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Old May 14, 2018, 09:34 PM   #2
Sharkbite

One of our instructors at FS put a set on his pistol. We shot em in a variety of conditions, good lighting, dim light, full dark with handheld and WML’s, up close and at distance (out to 200yds).

Nobody did any better with the Ghost ring rear sight then a good set of regular sights. Not any faster on the timer...not any better groups. Just not any improvement.

He took em off and went back to Trijicons
Old May 14, 2018, 10:34 PM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

Aperture sights can provide a benefit when they are close to the eye as they are when used conventionally on rifles.

When they are held at arms length, as they would be when installed on a pistol, they are just a type of iron sights that obscure more of the target than the more typical designs and don't offer any of the normal benefits of aperture sights.

That said, personal preference can be a major factor, and some people apparently prefer this type of pistol sight.
Old May 15, 2018, 11:29 AM   #4
sgms

There are some still being made, I have seen several different ghost ring pistol sights on line for Glock pistols, but the are basically 3 dot tritium sights with an open ring to look through to see front dot. Just run a search for 'ghost ring sights for pistols' if you are interested in finding them.
Old May 15, 2018, 05:33 PM   #5
reddog81

Hi-points come with them, at least they did a couple of years ago. Like JohnKSa said - the ghost ring works well on the carbine, not so much on the pistol.
Old May 17, 2018, 05:26 AM   #6
seeker_two

I'm learning a lot here. Thank you all.

Old May 17, 2018, 10:31 AM   #7
johnwilliamson062

A hipoint with the sights fell into my possession some time ago. I did shoot it more accurately than other hipoints, of which I have owned quite a few. Never tried holstered, but looked like it would snag. Never shot with a timer, but I can't remember it being noticeable slower. I remember considering a similar sight for my glock, but that never happened.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Old May 17, 2018, 11:14 AM   #8
Jim Watson

It has been a good while, but I recall the then-leading proponent of ring sights (And he sold a good one.) changed his product lineup and promotion to a wide V express type.
He now leads with a regular square notch but offers the V if you want it. Seems not to have rediscovered the U notch.
Old May 17, 2018, 02:00 PM   #9
seeker_two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
It has been a good while, but I recall the then-leading proponent of ring sights (And he sold a good one.) changed his product lineup and promotion to a wide V express type.
He now leads with a regular square notch but offers the V if you want it. Seems not to have rediscovered the U notch.
Who was this?

Old May 17, 2018, 03:57 PM   #10
Jim Watson

D.M. Middlebrooks.
http://www.tacticalshooting.com/pro-sight-faqs/
Old May 17, 2018, 09:30 PM   #11
seeker_two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
Thanks!

Old May 18, 2018, 03:54 PM   #12
tipoc

IIRC XS sights also offered ghost ring rear handgun sights for awhile...

https://www.xssights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=8208

and a review of said sites for Glocks on a website.

http://www.reloaderaddict.com/best-g...sights-review/

Ameri-Glo has some. Aro-Tek has some.

You can get them on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00162S1G6...oaderaddict-20

tipoc
4. Identify your target and know what is beyond it.
Old May 31, 2018, 06:53 PM   #13
Black Wolf

I didn't like them, even when they were "tacticool". I don't like things, in my line of sight, between my target and I. The RMR I tried out also aggravated me, a little, BUT the pay off was worth it (buying one). With the Ghost Ring pistol sights, it was not.

Then again, I don't like XS Big Dots, so be careful listen to my opinions, maybe I'm just not one of the cool kids.
Old June 3, 2018, 04:13 PM   #14
JJE

I have Aro-Tek rear apertures on my carry Glock 42 and my G26 and G19. Each gun also has an XS Big Dot tritium front sight.

These are special-purpose sights for people with bad eyes (who can't focus on more than the front sight) and for short-range SD applications (inside 30 feet or so).

I shoot my SD guns at 21 feet as quickly as I can re-align the sights, and at that range I shoot the Aro-Tek rear aperture just as well as standard iron sights, but all I'm trying to do is get all my shots on a 9" paper plate. With a rear aperture, you don't actually "align" the sights - you put the front dot on the target and your brain automatically centers the front dot in the center of the rear aperture - so this is definitely faster than conventional sights, but not as precise.

I also have target handguns that I shoot at 30 feet, trying to shoot the smallest possible groups. For this application, the Aro-Teks are not as precise as standard iron sights.

Rear aperture sights on handguns are for short-range SD use for people with bad eyes (like me) who don't want to put red dots on their handguns. People with normal vision are probably better-served by conventional sights. People who are rich are probably better-served by red dots.

California Rifle & Pistol Association, SAF and NRA Life Member
Old June 3, 2018, 04:32 PM   #15
tipoc

Quote:
Rear aperture sights on handguns are for short-range SD use for people with bad eyes (like me) who don't want to put red dots on their handguns. People with normal vision are probably better-served by conventional sights. People who are rich are probably better-served by red dots.
I like this. However people who are actually rich just hire themselves a security agency and a detail or two of gunsels to concern themselves with what sights to use. Or they just call the marines to protect their interests.

tipoc
4. Identify your target and know what is beyond it.
Old June 6, 2018, 11:11 AM   #16
44 AMP
Staff

Peep (aperture) sights work because of the eye's natural ability to find the center of a circle. The closer to the eye the circle is, the better this works.

Note that nobody puts a peep sight on the barrel, or even the front of the action, these days. (there have been exceptions in the past)

As others have noted, peep sights on a pistol do work, but not measurably better than regular open sights for the best shooters, and a bit less so for us mere mortals.
Old June 8, 2018, 02:43 PM   #17
stephen426

I think Ghost Ring sights should help in rapid target acquisition, but are not as suited for precision. Sharkbite, even though one of your instructors tried them out and did not have any improvements, did anyone do worse with them? There should be an adjustment period to allow people to get used to them.

I think that Glock's "Ball and Goalpost" sight is great for rapid target acquisition, but not so good for ultimate precision. The "Bar Dot" or Stovenhagen sight is great for rapid sight acquisition horizontally, but slower horizontally. 3-Dot is best for vertical alignment and provides the best precision for me. It is not the fastest in my opinion. I have an idea for another type sight, but I want to explore the possibility of patenting it first. It should be the best for horizontal AND vertical alignment.