The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 24, 2018, 11:01 AM   #26
Sharkbite

Quote:
If need be, getting stopped by LE I can toss the gun into the glove box so everyone is happy.
That is a HORRIBLE idea. As a veteran LEO let me explain the problems.

A traffic stop does not begin with the pretty red and blue lights showing up in your rearview mirror. Most stops start 1-3 minutes before that. During that time the Officer/Deputy is observing you, typing or radioing in your plate, requesting back-up if they think its warented. The key point is you are being watched for furtive/suspicious movements before you realize you are under observation.

If during that observation, i saw you reach over to the glovebox, it would send up a red flag. At that point I would have to assume you had seen me and were either retreiving something (weapon?), or stashing something (drugs?).

That would ratchet up the nature of the stop, not “make everyone happy”.

I have both stopped CCW holders and been stopped as one. All of those interactions were positive. Hands on the wheel, interior lights on at night and simply start the contact stating “I have a CCW permit, what would you like me to do”.

Even before i became a LEO, i had a permit in So Calif. one of only a handful in the LA area. I got pulled over by the Calif Highway Patrol on the 10 fwy heading into LA. On his approach and asking for my DL, Reg and Ins, i said “Absolutly, but i need to tell you i have a CCW”. He actually said “No way, ive never seen one, can i look at it?” We had a nice conversation, ending in me signing a cite for speeding...LOL.
Old March 24, 2018, 12:44 PM   #27
BWM

I keep my 357 in the door so all I need to do is grab it with my left hand most of the time 98% some time I have my shoulder holster or vest
Old March 24, 2018, 01:26 PM   #28
Ricklin

Lead foot

Yes I drive too much, on occasion I go too fast.

Thus I have received a fair amount of citations....I am a travelling salesman , farmers daughter's are in short supply.

Both hands on the wheel and I inform the nice officer of the location of my weapon.

May or may not be a requirement, I beleive it is a polite gesture.
Old March 24, 2018, 01:32 PM   #29
riffraff

Ive wondered that myself, what to do if ever stopped....

Whatever the case i always run dark tints on my rear windows, makes it hard to back up at night but keeps headlights from shining into the cab. Nobody can see what im doing in there, no criminal intent but i like the privacy.
Old March 24, 2018, 02:44 PM   #30
BIGR

Quote:
Lead foot

Yes I drive too much, on occasion I go too fast.

Thus I have received a fair amount of citations....I am a travelling salesman , farmers daughter's are in short supply.

Both hands on the wheel and I inform the nice officer of the location of my weapon.

May or may not be a requirement, I beleive it is a polite gesture.
That my friend means a lot, keeping your hands on the wheel and not digging through the console or in the glove box is the first step. Next step is being polite of course and being respectful. After that I guess it is according to how decent or an ae$hat of an officer has stopped you.
Old March 24, 2018, 07:39 PM   #31
SonOfScubaDiver

The three guns I use for carry purposes all fit in a pocket holster. Any time I am in the car driving, the gun goes in between the passenger seat and the center console inside the holster. I can draw the gun out if I need to, and I can grab both and put them into my pocket when exiting the vehicle. Works great for me. I rarely carry any of my larger guns, but when I do its always OWB. So, in those instances I have another holster made by Blackhawk (tecgrip) that I use in the car in between the seat and console. I then transfer the gun into my OWB holster when getting out of the car.
Old March 24, 2018, 08:21 PM   #32
FireForged

There are over 800,000 police in this country who carry 3oclock and 9 oclock. I don't think any of them are doing any handwringing over their carry position. You train you plan and you practice.. its never going to be perfect.
Old March 25, 2018, 09:59 PM   #33
In The Ten Ring

That is a HORRIBLE idea. As a veteran LEO let me explain the problems.

I was waiting for someone to mention that.

In college, I took a friend who didn't have a car to look at a TV for sale. I wanted to go to the indoor range afterwards so I tossed three loaded handguns into the glove box. *I had a CCW even then.

We looked at the TV but it was much too old for him and too big for my car. We pulled out onto the main road. BOOM. Police car comes speeding up, lights and siren going. I was doing about 35 mph in the 55 mph zone as I had just pulled out.

Officer walks up. He's not happy. He accuses us of leading him on a high speed chase! "Let me see your license and registration!" I tell him, "sir, we just pulled out of that street back there. We were looking at a TV for sale." The officer calms considerably and says "crap! I wondered how you slowed down so fast.....I didn't get a good look at the car, did you see anyone speed by here?"

We could have furthered our case with a lie but it's wrong to lie and we had the TV owners as witnesses. I said "no, sorry." I really didn't want to show him the registration as I had those loaded guns in there....but I asked anyway and I was going to show him my CCW and warn him about the firearms....."no, I don't need to see your registration, it doesn't matter now."

He walked back to his car clearly let down. That was the LAST time I ever carried a pistol where I kept my registration and proof of insurance.
Old March 25, 2018, 11:35 PM   #34
t45

I have a holster mounted to the side of my console in my truck. That's where it rides when I'm driving.
Old March 26, 2018, 06:41 AM   #35
Don P

Quote:
A traffic stop does not begin with the pretty red and blue lights showing up in your rearview mirror. Most stops start 1-3 minutes before that. During that time the Officer/Deputy is observing you, typing or radioing in your plate, requesting back-up if they think its warented. The key point is you are being watched for furtive/suspicious movements before you realize you are under observation.

If during that observation, i saw you reach over to the glovebox, it would send up a red flag. At that point I would have to assume you had seen me and were either retreiving something (weapon?), or stashing something (drugs?).
I would rather explain why I went to the glove box verses LEO finding/seeing a handgun in the center console.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old March 26, 2018, 07:36 AM   #36
Ricklin

Same Same

Again, I recommend just being up front about it.
1. Hands on the wheel
2. Dependent on the state the officer MAY already know that you have a CC permit.
3. Despite the immediate circumstances it could build a little rapport.

Just let the nice officer know. It's a reasonable thing to do.

We all have times that we must leave our weapon behind. Seems like when I am not driving, I am on an airplane. Due to an unfortunate experience a few years back I do not travel with guns via airplane, that's despite my permit being good at my destination.

My view on CC is it is a tremendous responsibility. Responsibility and politeness fit together like peas and carrots.
Old March 26, 2018, 12:43 PM   #37
glockman55

I agree Don P... at 62 years old I can't see myself drawing my gun from an ankle holster driving..lol I usually have one in my center console.. or just tucked beside my seat.. easy access..
Old March 27, 2018, 05:53 PM   #38
cw308

I'm with post#4 appendix carry in every way . Just have a good belt an holster .
Old March 29, 2018, 03:30 PM   #39
Kevin Rohrer

I have a holster that hangs underneath the steering column. I carry it here so the leather seats don't get damaged.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old March 29, 2018, 04:22 PM   #40
FITASC

Quote:
Again, I recommend just being up front about it.
1. Hands on the wheel
2. Dependent on the state the officer MAY already know that you have a CC permit.
3. Despite the immediate circumstances it could build a little rapport.
In my state, and those few around me, there is NO duty to infirm and my carry permit is NOT tied to my DL. I hand over the license, registration and proof of insurance.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 1, 2018, 08:47 AM   #41
SonOfScubaDiver

I think it's a good idea to let the officer know you are carrying and have the permit to do so, regardless of whether it's a requirement or not.
Old April 1, 2018, 09:42 AM   #42
David R

Three times I have informed I was carrying and had a permit. Every time they were polite and one officer thanked me.

David
Old April 1, 2018, 04:56 PM   #43
In The Ten Ring

Redundant, sorry.
Old April 1, 2018, 04:59 PM   #44
In The Ten Ring

Three times I have informed I was carrying and had a permit. Every time they were polite and one officer thanked me.

I hand my CCW over with the ID. It seems to go over well.

Here's a good video on things....jump to 2:00 mark to skip the long intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rW5y0Vl-PY
Old April 3, 2018, 06:27 AM   #45
Tactical Jackalope

You had it right and then you sunk deeper and deeper into the "no" lol.

Appendix is the best possible way to carry your firearm when driving. Or in general these days. It's like a modern method that we've noticed has improved speed and defensive retention. And in some cases, doesn't hinder maneuverability. (Bending down to pick up things for one)

The seat belt should be against your belt as your holster's belt loops are. You simply lift the shirt and present your firearm. From this, you can remove the seatbelt with your left hand and proceed to exit the vehicle if need be. Usually, you don't have to. Car > Gun. But we're speaking of a worst-case scenario.

Source: Classes. Everyone teaches something different and everyone thinks that what they teach is gospel. So naturally, you'll go with how you trained. As I'm passing this information onto you. My particular training is from the appendix position in a vehicle and from 3 o'clock. We tried the other methods and it was done in a way that deterred us from ever wanting to use them in real-world applications. Such as ankle or small of back.

Solution: Take a class and train for it. If it smells funny, try another class with an instructor who teaches differently. Not everyone can appendix carry because of weight issues and such. And not everyone can draw their pistol out from behind them for the same reasons. This does not mean getting one of those silly magnets or leaving your gun loose while you drive. Never do that! If you must glove box or center console it, just remember its there. That is the least ideal place to have your gun with you in a vehicle.

So try some classes out.

Hope this helps and didn't trigger anyone. We're all friends here.
Old April 3, 2018, 06:51 AM   #46
Lohman446

Quote:
There are over 800,000 police in this country who carry 3oclock and 9 oclock. I don't think any of them are doing any handwringing over their carry position. You train you plan and you practice.. its never going to be perfect.
This. We spend countless time discussing what gun, what position, what holster. Meanwhile professionals take their issued gear, train with it, and go on about the day.
Old April 7, 2018, 10:19 AM   #47
ChuteTheMall

We already have the muscle memory to unbuckle our seat belts, and smooth is fast.
There aren't many imagined scenarios where it would be necessary to remain buckled in while shooting.
Simple. Unbuckle before drawing. Maybe even stop the car, unless escaping by driving is the solution.
Old April 7, 2018, 02:59 PM   #48
In The Ten Ring

Appendix is the best possible way to carry your firearm when driving

In your opinion......I'm sure everyone here thinks their way is the best way. The original poster should try a couple of methods and make up his own mind. In time, even that decision may change for some other method.

What is the original poster's opinion on this? We've certainly beaten it to death.