The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 26, 2018, 10:15 AM   #26
MarkCO

Bwillsonhunter4, first, please excuse, and ignore the few who are acting like little children. Second, welcome. Most in the sport are great folks and eager to help new shooters. What Frank said in post #3 is worth reading again (and the others who said the same thing).

I am the Head Coach of my boys HS Trap team in our inaugural year. We have three really good shotgunners as coaches and 2 who help any way they can. With 24 on our team, we had 1 who had ever shot a round of trap before 10 weeks ago, competing against teams with lots of experience. The first 3 competition weeks, we were in last place, but the last 2 weeks, we jumped to first. Our top averages are in the 20 to 22 range, but they have been climbing every week. I asked all of my athletes to go with a M choke and we focus on the things Frank talked about.

Without seeing you shoot, it is hard to say. But we start with stance, move to fit, then the rest is on vision. Seeing the leading edge, hold points high enough to slow down the game and eyes under the gun with a soft focus looking for the target. I can tell you this personally...90% of the time I miss a clay, I see the front sight clearly, which is a lapse in focus on the type of game I am shooting. Being young, you should be able to see the ridges on the clay. With 24 athletes, each of them has their own little issues to work on that have increased their scores. The value of a good coach who can see what you are doing, and help you learn the game, is invaluable. If your coach is not skilled enough, ask him or her to seek out a coach to work with you for an hour or two from the local club. I have helped out kids from other schools, and vice versa during practice. Trust me, most of us love to help.
Old May 26, 2018, 12:58 PM   #27
Ricklin

If you prefer luck to break your birds, use an open choke.

If skill is what you prefer, shoot a tight choke. Luck will run out, generally at the most inopportune time.
Skill does not run out.
Trap is a game of perfection, perfection is breaking every bird, that will not happen consistently with an open choke.
Old May 26, 2018, 01:55 PM   #28
eastbank

what full choke would you recommend? a .695 or a .665-.660-.650-.640.
Old May 26, 2018, 02:16 PM   #29
FITASC

Full choke is 40 thou tighter than the bore size.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 27, 2018, 11:20 AM   #30
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.L.E. View Post
My best trap score was 100/100 using 1 1/8 ounce 7 1/2 shot, CB 1112-12 wads, 15.2 grains Alliant e3, and W209 primers in Remington Gun Club hulls shot out of a 32 inch barrel BT-99 using a modified choke.
Sounds a lot like my old recipe, was loading 1&1/8 of 7.5 shot, claybuster figure8 wads (I forget the #), 700x powder, cci primers and was using the Remington green hulls.
Old May 27, 2018, 11:46 AM   #31
B.L.E.

The Claybusters "figure 8" wads are CB8118-12. I accidentally grabbed a couple of bags of them intending to buy the CB "WAA12" or CB1112-12 wads. They are practically interchangeable and shoot just as well.
Old May 27, 2018, 11:50 AM   #32
Ricklin

A bit far afield

Please shoot whatever choke works for you. A previous poster mentioned an important point. We are shooting our clays "edge on" in trap, it just does not take much of a hole in the pattern for a bird to slip through.

Choke should be far down on the list. A gun that fits, a consistent and repeatable mount, focus on the clay, and follow through.

Go look through the dead birds on the trap field, you will find many with one and some with two holes in the dome portion. Those birds were not X's on the score card.
Old May 27, 2018, 02:59 PM   #33
B.L.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricklin
Go look through the dead birds on the trap field, you will find many with one and some with two holes in the dome portion. Those birds were not X's on the score card.

There are actually two reasons why you should shoot quickly in trap. One is so the bird is still close enough for the pattern to be dense enough to break the bird, the other is so that the pellets are still going fast enough to break the bird.

My trap scores improved after going to 8 to 7.5 shot. I give up a little pattern density but I gain pellet energy that ensures that those one or two pellet hits on the fringe of my pattern still breaks the bird.
Remember, that the pellets on the edge of the pattern are usually also the slowest and if the pellets in the center of the pattern are marginal in energy, the ones in the fringe of the pattern are going to be sub marginal.

If pellet energy didn't matter, we'd all be using #9 shot for trap, of course, 9's will break trap birds if you have that bird centered in the dense cloud of those tiny bb's, but so will #7.5.

Last edited by B.L.E.; May 27, 2018 at 09:31 PM.