The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 10, 2018, 10:24 AM   #1
stonewall50

“Dry Fire” Home exercises/training?

Just looking to compile a list of exercises I can do on my own dry fire in the home for CCW and home defense. I live in the city and can’t always make it to the range. But I’ve heard of people using snap cap lasers and so on. Anything that assists with pistol shooting even if it doesn’t involve the gun.

I used to hold a weight up in pistol stance to control. Helped me maintain form over longer days shooting. So really anything that may help. I wonder how long till we shooters get augmented reality/VR for our guns? Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old May 10, 2018, 12:44 PM   #2
Sharkbite

Quote:
I wonder how long till we shooters get augmented reality/VR for our guns? Lol.
It already exists (in limited form) and is in use for use of force decision making at some of the higher tech training venues.

As for dry practice, here is my daily

25x- from the ready to sights on and slack out
25x- from the ready to sights on, slack out and press
25x- from an exposed holster (worn in the same place as my concealed) sights, slack & press
25x- from concealment sights, slack & press

That gives me
100x of sights and slack
75x with the press
50x draw stroke
25x from concealment.

About 15 min a day.
Old May 11, 2018, 12:25 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

Dry fire practice is about practicing breathing, sight picture and trigger control, Primarily for bullseye shooting. Doesn't really apply to CCW or house defense. Doesn't hurt either. In any case, CCW is not about you going into combat.
"...used to hold a weight up..." No need for the stance, but getting upper body exercise will help. Also primarily for bullseye shooting. You won't be doing anything remotely similar when CCWing or sneaking around the house.
"...augmented reality/VR..." Been done by the military and LEO for 30 or 40 years. Or more. Costs too much for civilians to set up.
Old May 12, 2018, 12:05 AM   #4
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
Dry fire practice is about practicing breathing, sight picture and trigger control, Primarily for bullseye shooting. Doesn't really apply to CCW or house defense. Doesn't hurt either. In any case, CCW is not about you going into combat.

"...used to hold a weight up..." No need for the stance, but getting upper body exercise will help. Also primarily for bullseye shooting. You won't be doing anything remotely similar when CCWing or sneaking around the house.

"...augmented reality/VR..." Been done by the military and LEO for 30 or 40 years. Or more. Costs too much for civilians to set up.

Well you would think that. But I don’t think so. A computer, VR headset, and the internet? Wouldn’t be too bad to set up price wise. Many people use them for gaming now. It would take a little work with the controllers, but all it might take is a little ingenuity.

Old May 12, 2018, 05:18 AM   #5
PushPuller

I don't conceal carry yet but do like running through some practices at home.

The one thing I do most commonly is find something to aim at (doorknob, thumb tack etc.) aim, and hold for as long as I can on that original point of aim. I usually do a set of 20 pushups then follow it with a short rest. Do that 3x total and in about a 10 minute time frame my whole upper body is usually shaking. I usually end up doing some sort of breathing exercise during the 45-90 second aim times as well.

all in all doing some sort of gun handling homework per se generally doesn't hurt you at all, and can make a huge difference in when you might need it most.

My girlfriend thought I looked crazy for the longest time whenever I did the above. But once she starting doing it with me, with some snap caps to practice her trigger pull her point of impact has improved drastically and she's a lot more in tuned to which stance is most comfortable for her.
Old May 12, 2018, 11:14 AM   #6
T. O'Heir

"...for gaming..." Real simulators used by cops, the military and airlines are incredibly expensive. Computer games are just that. Games. Computer games have nothing whatever to do with reality. They are practice for playing the game and nothing else. Game programmers have never seen a real firearm never mind fired one.
Old May 13, 2018, 08:41 AM   #7
AK103K

Quote:
Dry fire is about a lot of things, not just basic bullseye practice. Theres a lot more to it than that.

If you carry a gun and arent practicing for "combat", why are you carrying a gun?
Old May 13, 2018, 08:17 PM   #8
armednfree

I've done the pencil drill about a million times. Sight alignment, trigger squeeze, follow through.
Old May 15, 2018, 01:33 PM   #9
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
"...for gaming..." Real simulators used by cops, the military and airlines are incredibly expensive. Computer games are just that. Games. Computer games have nothing whatever to do with reality. They are practice for playing the game and nothing else. Game programmers have never seen a real firearm never mind fired one.

I’m guessing you are an older gentlemen? Probably not up on today’s latest tech? I don’t mean that in an offensive way. Just that your statements seem very much analog in a world that has gone digital faster and faster.

Right now? Gaming drives a lot of technology innovation. And many many many gaming companies are not only hiring and using people with hands on experience (special forces and LEOs), but many programmers are also going out there and getting their own. Especially those in the VR community (which has a penchant for realism). PCs have come a long way and I would hazard a guess that you could probably run most “military” or “police” simulations on a $1000 gaming rig without an issue. That is excluding headsets of course. The hard part is getting controllers correct. But then...I’m sure you could just wire up a gun controller that you use with your own hands.

If you know of these “simulator” by name programs...I’d love for you to point them out to me so I can research them out of curiosity. I mean we have video games coming out now with budgets that rate higher than some of the biggest budgeted movies to have come out. You can get a lot done with $200 million. But anyway. Digressing. Like any training tool...it would have to be utilized correctly with fundamental ideas in place. Evaluated by top shooters. Professionals. Used In conjunction with other training. And ways to correct for error and so on. Focus would have to be put on certain ideas. First shot marksmanship, shoot/don’t shoot, draw speed and reaction shooting.

Digressing even further...nothing will beat the real thing of course. Which isn’t really the point of my thread. But ammo price IS expensive. Range fees can get ridiculous (especially for those sad people who don’t have their own place to shoot). It is just to get ideas on what exists out there for realistic shooting drills that don’t require me to drop a lot of money every day to get meaningful use from.

Old May 22, 2018, 01:58 PM   #10
TunnelRat

Look up the Wall Drill. You should find it on Todd Greens blog.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk