The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 10, 2008, 11:53 PM   #1
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

BigJim's Story got me thinking...

After I read BigJim's story about the 10 gauge....
Upon reminiscing I thought back and remembered when I was a pre-teen and I had pop's single shot 12 gauge and my buddy (reminded me of Richie Rich) had a 20 gauge auto loader and boy was it a pretty gun... Mine... a cheap beat up half rusty scratched up critter gitter. Well he was a bit bigger kid than me and said "Man that thing is gonna knock you on yer butt when you fire it..." I told him I had been shooting it many times. I chided him about his purdy sissy stick and offered to let him shoot my gun after he saw me knock down a runnin' rabbit. He mentioned he was afraid it would knock him over... I don't know where I thought this up so fast (I ain't usually real quick on practical jokes) but I said well just lean up against that maple tree over there so when you shoot, you won't fall over backwards.... Man BRUISED was the understatement of the day... I was about to whizz my pants layin there in the snow laughing, tears flowing outta my eyes and if he coulda lifted his right arm we would have scrapped... When I was able to talk all I could say was "Well you didn't get knocked down didja?" Good thing all we had was el' cheapo light loads!
Brent
Old December 11, 2008, 08:32 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks for the chuckle, Brent. Betcha some other kick stories will surface.
Old December 11, 2008, 08:50 AM   #3
hillbille

while not a 10ga, I bought a 12ga muzzleloading doublebarrel a few years ago, it has a half moon brass butplate. In my hurry to try it out I grabbed the wrong horn of black powder, my FFF thatI keep for my pistols, It is just a little finer ground maybe a little hotter than regular powder, anyway never having shot a shotgun, I loaded it up like I do my rifles, 90 grains powder and wad then just poured some shot in, who knows an easy ounce maybe two, loaded both barrells this way, my son was helping me and he set up a bucket 20-25 yards away I let loose with the first barrell, I'm 6'3" 220 and it literaly spun me sideways and that buttplate dug in my shoulder, it is the only gun I have ever shot that literaly brought tears to my eyes. I tried to get my son to shoot the second barrell, he would have nothing of it, guess he may be a little smarter than I give him credit for, so me trying to prove a point and be the nonfearing dad I touch the second barrell off. well 2 shots was enough for that day, my shoulder turned green within the hour and by morning it still hurt to lift it very high, I still keep those loads in mind for any of those bragging folks who come to the house and say they can shoot any gun, and guns don't kick. Proven a few folks wrong in there thinking
Old December 11, 2008, 10:30 AM   #4
deanadell

"kick" stories

While not punishing or extremely painful, forever burned in my memory will be my step-father taking me to a turkey shoot when I was 13. Never shot anything bigger than a BB gun at that time.

He handed me his Browning A-5. I will never forget that sledgehammer SMACK of that old recoil operated Browning but I bet I had the smile on my face longer than the bruise on my shoulder. started a life long love of all things firearms.....
Old December 11, 2008, 11:12 AM   #5
oneounceload

First time firing a gun was with a friend and his dad, and his dad's SxS with two triggers. Being all of about 12, and LH, the inevitable happened - pulled both triggers at once - knocked me backwards, blew a hole through the brush, and the pheasant that was standing there, about 2t5 feet away was a nice powder-puff of feathers.....but it was a lot of fun
Old December 11, 2008, 02:31 PM   #6
BigJimP

I started this with the story about the 10ga and my head bouncing off the ground ... but,

a couple of weeks ago an acquaintance, who thinks he's a gunsmith, was shooting one of his Perazzi's - but the 3rd time it doubled ( both barrels going off at once ) with pretty stout Trap loads - you could start seeing the tears running down his face. He kept saying the wind was bothering his eyes ...but we all knew better.

and just to prove I can be a bastard,

I had a couple cases of Remington Nitro's 12ga 1 1/8oz 1300 fps - and they're a little stout in a fixed action gun like an O/U. My youngest son was visiting and he was giving me some grief about whipping my butt today on the Skeet field, he's 30, - so rather than let him shoot my reloads ( I needed some new hulls ....). I gave him 10 boxes of these Nitros - Here, shoot these today will you ( and don't let any hull hit the ground, I want them nice and clean for reloading ...). I even made him clean the gun when we were through ....and I still whipped his butt . They were probably more than he needed for shooting Skeet ( but, hey, I needed the hulls ....). He did mention later - they seemed a " little hot " ... I told him don't be a [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color], man up . Someday I'll tell him the truth.
Old December 11, 2008, 03:35 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

And again BigJim Draws tears!!! What is the hottest 3 inch shell in 12 I can get fer junior to "bust a few clay birds"?
Brent
Old December 11, 2008, 05:18 PM   #8
deanadell

Quote:
Someday I'll tell him the truth.
Naah....take that one to the grave
Old December 11, 2008, 05:29 PM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I found out the hard way that recoil often doesn't hurt under adrenaline...

First year, first day deer hunting, my dad and I are walking a hedge row in a field. I'm probably 150 yards from road, walking parallel. As I'm walking I hear a tractor trailer blow its air horn, so I look over figuring to wave or whatever. Lo and behold, here's a deer running across the road right at me. I sure can't shoot that direction so I stop and wait for him to get even with me so I'm shooting straight down the field. I'm standing low ready, he gets about 30 feet from me, sees me and cuts his angle to head into the brush. When he gets even with me I whip up that old Ithaca 12ga and BOOM! Turns out I had the things probably 3 inches from my shoulder when I pulled the trigger. Didn't feel a thing, 'til about 5 minutes later when we found the deer and I grabbed his leg and pulled.... OOOOUUCH! Man, the next day I had a bruise from the middle of my bicep up over the back of my shoulder and halfway up my neck. Some lessons you gotta learn the hard way.
Old December 11, 2008, 05:30 PM   #10
oneounceload

Big Jim - did something similar with my oldest......gave him some of those cheaper faster, therefore, hotter loads.......after about 100 shots, he was saying something about sitting one out while I kept going with my light loads.....old age and wisdom sometimes DO go together....
Old December 11, 2008, 05:49 PM   #11
BigJimP

Its good to pick on boys - until they get confident enough to know they can kick your butt ... which for me, is coming any day now ( as they're both 30 and 32 ).....but the old dog still has a little bark ( not much bite ).

Both boys look like me unfortunately .... yet its a good thing they both married well ..... so my grandkids aren't " Ugly and Stupid " ...(but its their mother's fault - and she's an ex-wife, so its easy to blame her..). I only have 9 grandkids now - and they're all very smart and attractive...

Besides, remember I needed the hulls ...(and yes, I will take it to my grave) - unless its funnier to tell him one of these days ..... You have to pick your spots .

I'm going to part with some of my gun collection this year ( so each of them get a nice S&W revolver in .357 mag, a good semi-auto in 9mm and .45 acp, a good .22 , and a good shotgun - and a safe ). But when it comes to my Wilson Combat's, Ed Brown, Les Baer's - they can pry those out of my casket .... I'll turn over a couple of Kimbers, maybe a Sig and a couple of Browning shotguns -- but not any of my high end 1911's. Besides, I need something to shoot too.
Old December 11, 2008, 07:34 PM   #12
Scattergun Bob

Jim

You know if your passing out stuff, that fancy SIG that you shot so well at the range would look very nice in my pistol safe.

My Best To You, Bob
Old December 11, 2008, 07:47 PM   #13
BradF

The first gun I ever shot was a 44 magnum revolver, propped on a sawhorse. I was 8. That was an earth shaking moment in my life.
Old December 11, 2008, 08:05 PM   #14
gustav129

Hahahaha! That crotch shot video was great. I've always enjoyed watching videos of people scoping themselves in the face.
Old December 11, 2008, 08:23 PM   #15
wpcexpert

Best kick story I've got...would be when I was 13 or 14. I was at the range with my dad and one of his buddies. We were sighting it for the deer season. I had shot the Marlin 30-30. It was ready. So my dad was shooting his 30-06. I went to the little boys room. I came back and my 30-30 was back on the bench. I asked dad what it was out for? He said that he wanted me to shoot it again...just to be sure.

So I sat under it, took close aim, and whammo. I was off the bench and on my rear and the gun was now in dad's hands. He was doubled over and so was Mr. Johnny.

While I was away, they had swapped the 30-30 for the .444. I didn't really pay that much attention but I did after that. I guess there was a lesson in there somewhere.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old December 11, 2008, 08:38 PM   #16
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

WPC, The lesson was likely aeronautical in nature...
Brent
Old December 12, 2008, 01:10 AM   #17
armedandsafe

Way back when... I was out one night with a friend, hunting badgers (aka "ditch diggers" to irrigation men.) He was out in front of the VW chasing one while I was trying to keep the little bugger in the lights without blinding the shooter. M. pulled off one shot and the badger did a 180, running back between M's legs. The next shot he took was with that Ruger 44 Mag held straight down between his legs. I don't know who hurt worst, but neither the badger nor M did any more running, that night.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old December 12, 2008, 01:19 AM   #18
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

HOW IN THE EVER LOVIN PUNKIN PATCH ARE WE STILL ALIVE AND BREEDING???
Drivin the Vee-Dub part is classic! How a guy doesn't slap hit a tree after seein' that sight is beyond me!
While it ain't recoil related us boys would line up to a parked farm 18 wheeler and pump up our BB guns shooting the sidewall of tires trying to richochet the opponents... "You could put yer eye out" comes to mind now-a-days
Brent
Old December 12, 2008, 02:23 AM   #19
armedandsafe

I probably would have parked the VW against a tree, but the nearest one in the Arizona desert was a wholelottamiles from us.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old December 12, 2008, 02:30 PM   #20
BigJimP

Scattergun Bob

That Sig X-Five is going to be tucked under my butt as well - along with the Wilson's - in the casket ....... but thanks for asking .....
Old December 12, 2008, 07:43 PM   #21
claymore1500

I was out shooting some hand thrown (sorta like a frisbee) clay birds with a friend from work one day, a long time ago.

It was my turn to shoot, I had my savage 940E single shot 12 ga. hi brass shells, don't remember the shot size, I was in the process of loading the gun when my friend said "SHOOT IT", and threw a bird, I slammed the gun closed and pulled it up and planted it firmly and squarely on my collar bone, pulled the trigger And missed the bird, but learned a very valuable lesson.

The ribbed plastic butt plate tore the bark off of my collar bone and I was bleeding like a stuck pig.

NOTE TO SELF: if you are going to do stupid stuff like that, wear more than a T-shirt.