The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 25, 2013, 06:10 PM   #51
Geezerbiker

Black tail deer hunting has gotten near impossible around here. All the deer move into town about the beginning of hunting season and stay until spring. The pass through all year so they can dine on all the gardens and rose bushes...

I've given up on deer hunting. It's just not worth it. This year I've had personal issues so I didn't get to go salmon fishing but fishing has always been more productive for me than hunting...

Tony
Old October 27, 2013, 10:20 PM   #52
Kimbercommander

I normally hunt three states. Oregon Idaho and Washington. That being said I have no clue as to what a "hunting lease" is or why you would need "seed, diesel and fertilizer.". I hunt wilderness almost excluesively now and that means lots of walking. I get three deer a year and 2-3 elk a year. Now the most costly part of my hunts are just the tags. Oregon gives me my hunting liscenses for free as I am a disabled veteran and Idaho and Washington its about $350.00 *roughly* for the liscenses and then about 300 or so for each tag. Oregon is 22.50 for Elk and about 25 for deer. That being said I do to get to enjoy a very high kill ratio. A mule deer yields about 65-90 lbs of meat each. A elk is up around 350 lbs of meat. I dont know about anyone else but you come to eat at my house and you wont ever get beef. I process all my meat myself, so only cost there was the initial equipment cost and then all the pork fat i grind into my elk burger. Fuel costs are about 150 or so for 1 trip. I dont count food or that stuff because I would be eating at home anyways. So if i get three elk a year ,normally i do, then that would average out to $1.70 or so a pound just for the elk. Way cheaper then beef. The deer are just extras since i have to buy the licences anyways. There will be nay sayers just because they wont believe my sucsess ratio but thats just how it is where i go. They might not all be "trophies" but they are all food in the freezer. I hunt alone and take just the very basics with me for food. But when im out there i have to admit i find a peace that i havent had since i was a kid. Sleeping bag under the stars on the side of a mountain is my favorite place to sleep. Thats my temple. A small fire out of twigs and sticks with a well blackened metal coffee cup heating some water is the best thing in the world to wake up to. Someday i hope my son will be up to going but at 7 years old he isnt ready for the wilderness yet.

Last edited by Kimbercommander; October 27, 2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old October 28, 2013, 07:04 AM   #53
ZeroJunk

I lease 1765 acres with seven other guys. I planted about 12 acres of wheat just to feed the deer. They seem to like it. I haven't killed a deer in four years and might not this year. But, I like going over there and piddling around. It is not unusual to see 10 deer or more most any afternoon. Fact is, I could kill deer until I was sick of it and never leave my deck. But, it isn't the same.
Old October 29, 2013, 08:38 PM   #54
cnimrod

You are kidding right?

to answer the OP 9.22/lb is pretty good, but I prefer to figure the cost benefit by dollars/day spent hunting. btw you didn't include license cost for my son and I hunting out of state that's another $280. :-(
Personally I've been skunked the last 3 years but being with my son and seeing him fill his tag - PRICELESS
good luck all !
Old October 29, 2013, 08:46 PM   #55
Dragline45

I make the same argument to some friends who claim it's necessary to put food on their table, although they end up spending more on their weekend outing than they gain from the meat they bring home.

I have no problem with people who choose to hunt or even enjoy it, but personally I don't get any enjoyment from killing animals for sport. Steel plates suite me well enough.
Old October 30, 2013, 01:46 AM   #56
Keg

Quote:
I normally hunt three states. Oregon Idaho and Washington. That being said I have no clue as to what a "hunting lease" is or why you would need "seed, diesel and fertilizer.". I hunt wilderness almost excluesively now and that means lots of walking. I get three deer a year and 2-3 elk a year. Now the most costly part of my hunts are just the tags. Oregon gives me my hunting liscenses for free as I am a disabled veteran and Idaho and Washington its about $350.00 *roughly* for the liscenses and then about 300 or so for each tag. Oregon is 22.50 for Elk and about 25 for deer. That being said I do to get to enjoy a very high kill ratio. A mule deer yields about 65-90 lbs of meat each. A elk is up around 350 lbs of meat. I dont know about anyone else but you come to eat at my house and you wont ever get beef. I process all my meat myself, so only cost there was the initial equipment cost and then all the pork fat i grind into my elk burger. Fuel costs are about 150 or so for 1 trip. I dont count food or that stuff because I would be eating at home anyways. So if i get three elk a year ,normally i do, then that would average out to $1.70 or so a pound just for the elk. Way cheaper then beef. The deer are just extras since i have to buy the licences anyways. There will be nay sayers just because they wont believe my sucsess ratio but thats just how it is where i go. They might not all be "trophies" but they are all food in the freezer. I hunt alone and take just the very basics with me for food. But when im out there i have to admit i find a peace that i havent had since i was a kid. Sleeping bag under the stars on the side of a mountain is my favorite place to sleep. Thats my temple. A small fire out of twigs and sticks with a well blackened metal coffee cup heating some water is the best thing in the world to wake up to. Someday i hope my son will be up to going but at 7 years old he isnt ready for the wilderness yet.
Fella..That sounds awesome....
Old October 30, 2013, 02:03 AM   #57
Keg

I was raised hunting..by my Dad and Uncles....It has always been the thing to do..and I enjoy it....Game has always been plentiful....I could do things way cheaper than I do..but I don't....Oh well! I was taught hunting and outdoor skills..and I wanna pass that on to my kids and G-kids....I have a 5 year old Grandson now..that is totally ate up with it....I'm kinda into makin some memories in the field with him....
Old October 30, 2013, 09:19 PM   #58
Kimbercommander

Thanks Keg. The next generation is the one that will make the difference when it comes to hunting or any of the shooting sports. Teach them young and teach them often. Because once we are gone thats all that will be left to carry the banner of freedom and love of country.
Old October 31, 2013, 10:17 AM   #59
Geezerbiker

K.C., Oregon is like 2 different states. The mule deer in the eastern mountains are way different than the nocturnal black tail we have here in the western side of the state.

I live about 3 miles from the coast in NW OR, and I see them in my yard all the time but finding one out in the wild areas is near impossible during hunting season. The deer here are becoming an urban species like racoons...

Tony
Old October 31, 2013, 10:33 AM   #60
Deja vu

I hunt from my land and process it my self or with help of my brother. The land and house are paid for so the only expense is ammo and licences/tags... that is pretty cheep meat.

p.s. I reload so that helps too. The deer here are mule deer so they are pretty big.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old October 31, 2013, 06:37 PM   #61
Kimbercommander

Geezerbiker, i understand what you are saying as i hunted blacktail as a kid down around lebanon and sweet home. Folks lived up Wiley Creek in Sweethome back in the early 90's. Back then we had a actual hunting party however and just pushed timber between clearcuts. Normally always tagged out. But from what i hear from friends and family they see more deer in town now then out of town during hunting season. Always went east for elk. And in my opinion Oregon should be two different states.
Old October 31, 2013, 06:56 PM   #62
Hawg

Sportsman license-35.00
My share of grass seed-75.00
Gas- a couple of bucks maybe
Ammo-anywhere from a few pennies up to around 2.70 per shot.
Not too bad considering the license and grass are a one time deal.
Old November 1, 2013, 11:49 PM   #63
flyinggroundhog

you could save money but thats beside the point. your doing something you love and enjoy and you cant put a price on a good time. thats same reason i still go to my huntin club in eastern NC. i got alot of childhood memories there, we are just a bunch of good ol boys. i have more fun sittin around bull****in than hunting lol
Old November 2, 2013, 11:02 AM   #64
pete2

Okay, someone has to do it. It may as well be us. WORTH IT AT TWICE THE COST. There's no need for concern, just do it.
Old December 8, 2013, 05:22 PM   #65
silvrjeepr

Why do we keep doing this ?

There are deer running all over my back yard yet I drive 2 1/2 hours to camp each weekend. It's the fellowship and "getting away" from life for a few weeks a year. I stopped keeping track of expenses or else I'd never see the place again. Let's see 1k dues, 500 seed and stand stuff and $125 per weekend for gas and food not counting rifle(s), ammo, ATV(s), warm camo stuff, and a camper. I hope my wife never sees this post.

The kids come with me almost every time, and the wife comes every once in a while though.
Old December 8, 2013, 05:45 PM   #66
goalie

Re: Why do we keep doing this ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck460XVR View Post
This is why I always doubt most folks when they say they only hunt for the meat. If your prefer venison that much over beef, pork or chicken, you can buy game farm venison for less than $9 a pound. To me, coming home with meat is just a bonus. The cost of the hunt is what it is. No different than going out to eat and a movie. The hunt is why you want to get back out there next week.....
Under 50 bucks for tags. Friends work pays for gas in his truck, including private use.

I have more than enough gear.

I process it all myself, and got a package deal on a god grinder, stuffer, meat tubs, vac-sealer a few years ago. 100 bucks for it all.

I would hunt if it was more expensive, but I come out waaaaay ahead.

If you don't already have the gear and land, well, it takes a while to break even, then it is all gravy.
Old December 9, 2013, 12:09 AM   #67
bcarver

try turkey hunting

I would figure my per pound at around 3 grand.
Old December 9, 2013, 10:20 AM   #68
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Kimbercommander, for all practical purposes, there is no public land open for hunting, once you're east of eastern New Mexico/Colorado/Wyoming/Montana. It's all privately owned, so you pay for a trespass privilege.

(I'm omitting the relatively small public areas; they're trivial compared to the West. Some national forest lands and some wildlife management areas, but they in no way compare in area. And they're a small percentage of eastern private land. As example, the Black Gap WMA in Texas is 106,000 acres--but it's in Brewster County which is four million acres.)

It's a whole different world, with vastly different customs and methods.

Recommended reading: Macdonald Kantor's "The Voice of Bugle Ann", and Robert Ruark's "The Old Man and the Boy" plus its sequel.
Old December 9, 2013, 11:23 AM   #69

Golf

I work in a car dealership and golf is big.......just is.

Those guys spend a boat load of cash on their hobby. They sort of makes us look like cheap skates.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old December 9, 2013, 12:51 PM   #70
Dc777

Entertainment costs money, plain and simple. Some of you guys are really lucky. My fuel cost for one trip is around $120. I have to pull my four wheeler up there on my 5x10 trailer. After groceries, ice for the ice chests, etc it comes out to about $200

Paintings were made to look at, and guns were made to be shot. If you aren't going to use them as they are intended for, get rid of them and buy a Picasso.
Old December 9, 2013, 01:16 PM   #71
doofus47

I think it's a bit like a marriage, the minute you start keeping score, you're screwed.

I do it b/c I love it. I do it b/c it's completely different than how I spend the rest of my life. I do it to provide organic meat for my family. I do it to test myself (patience, resilience, ability, etc) in a way that has no parallel and therefore has not substitute. I do it b/c when you spend all day in the woods, plains, etc you see wonders of nature that you would never have imagined.

To be sure, there's a financial cost. And when those costs become noticeable, I'll cut back and prioritize.

There's an emotional cost. Those costs are already factored in. Every day in the field is a day away from my wife and kids. I won't ever skip a family event to hunt. The cost is too high. What if this was my last chance to sit down over a beer with uncle Jim? No 6 x 6 is worth missing that.

Hunting is a part of what I do. Find the balance. I think it's a mark of maturity to de-prioritize hunting (or any other long-term interest in your life) if the costs are running too high.