The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old July 10, 2013, 11:14 AM   #1
Wallyl

CCW in Illinois

I should be jubilant...as we now have CCW in Illinois. However I have to ask myself...first of all we had that right all along...the 2nd amendment.....something about the right to bear arms not being infringed....so how was it possible that elected officials take an oath to abide by the constitution and then pass laws that violate it? Isn't that criminal in itself? Perhaps they should be incarcerated for this egregious violation and should lose their pensions? If it were up to me, I'd exile them to Afghanistan or Somalia.

The new law regulates who has the legal right for CCW here....but the 2nd amendment clearly states that the right to bear arms shall not be infringed..what is up with that? Why should an honorable, law abiding citizen have to jump through hoops to get permission for CCW...this is a right as per the 2nd amendment isn't it? Can someone straighten me out here? Pay $150 and take a 16 hour course...? Why is the 2nd amendment states I already have that right....

I am very confused---I thought this was a free country..don't we have the right to protect & defend ourselves...or again, is this only so where permitted by law? Where is the ACLU when we really need them?
Old July 10, 2013, 11:33 AM   #2
Mike38

I’d say, remember this come Election Day, but we are outnumbered. The majority of the voting public must be okay with what is going on in Washington DC and their state capitol, otherwise things would change.
Old July 10, 2013, 11:48 AM   #3
Wallyl

I do so with each and every one, but seldom do the candidates that I vote for get elected. I suppose I need to vote, like so many others, with my feet..and just leave the state. But will I miss the taxes, tollways, & corrupt politicians?
Old July 10, 2013, 11:51 AM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

The legal issues are already under discussion in this thread.

It's obviously not as simple as "The 2A says..." or the whole thing would have been over 225 years ago.
Old July 10, 2013, 11:51 AM   #5
Spats McGee
Staff

Concealed Carry Illinois is already under discussion.