The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 16, 1998, 04:02 PM   #1
switch

I am new to the forum. I recently saw a post on another forum asking the question of whether knife enthusiasts were generally gun enthusiasts as well. There was not much of a response. I was interested in finding if many people interested in firearms were also interested in knives, whether more as tools for hunting and fishing, as backup weapons, or general collecting. Thanks in advance for any response.
Switch
Old October 16, 1998, 05:31 PM   #2
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Switch-
By all means, you can mention the name of that other Forum. It's called www.bladeforums.com . Run by Mike Turber and Spark. They've lent us technical and other support and we consider them our "Sister Forum" for the knife industry.

Good guys. Great Forum.
Rich Lucibella
Old October 16, 1998, 06:21 PM   #3
Hilton

I've always had guns AND knives around. I carry a gun AND a knife, if not several of each, every day. I consider knowledge of and use of one and not the other to be limiting one's utility and defensive applications.
Old October 20, 1998, 03:32 PM   #4
Donna

I carry both a gun and a fixed blade knife. I feel that both are vitally important. I consider my knife my back up weapon but In certain situations it becomes my primary weapon. I also aggree with Hilton on the importance of training and I also train in the use of both weapons.
Old October 20, 1998, 03:49 PM   #5
Kodiac

Guns and knive seem to be like peanut butter and jelly, they just GO TOGETHER... but not every one is a gun person.
Personaly, I love knives... I dont know why either. I am not big on the idea of cutting someone open after seeing so many stab victims. But I still pack a knife with me. Columbia River Knife And Tools make VERY GOOD knives and sell them cheap as heck - only to gain popularity then they will go up I'm sure. There new KISS knives are the most thought out knives I have seen. And the new Apache is just about become a part of me. I am looking for things to cut! Got a box to open - give me a call I am on my way... I'll cut it open for you with my new Apache, and wont charge a thing.... Kidding. But I do look forward to opening the mail now.
Old October 20, 1998, 06:35 PM   #6
Mike in VA

There are a number of things a gentleman (or lady) shouldn't be without, namely their wits, dignity, coin of the realm, a way home, and a knife. Mostly, I just see knives as a tool that's very useful day to day. I have representatives from Gerber, Syderco, Victonix, Tekna, K-bar, Benchmade, and most recently, a CRKT Mirage (Kodiac is right on, great knives at a reasonable price, & the KISS is just way cool, they will be in many friends' Xmas stockings this season). Stay sharp, M2
Old October 20, 1998, 06:39 PM   #7
Mike in VA

Ooooo! I fergot, if you haven't already found it, the Knife Center of the Internet is a great place to browse and shop, Offering the KISS for 29.99, By all means support your local dealer, but if they don't have the variety, check it out:[http://www.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/index.html] M2
Old October 20, 1998, 07:14 PM   #8
Kodiac

the Knife Center is where I got my STIFF KISS knife. Loved the folder and just had to check out the fixed blade. It makes an excelent Neck knife, or belt knife due to its wonderfully clever kydex sheath that lets you position the blade in more ways you can think of. They are worth spending your money on CRKT knive that is - not just the KISS knives... I'll make this offer... If you buy a CRKT knife, and you dont like it - send it to me and I'll pay the shipping for it!
Old October 20, 1998, 07:55 PM   #9
switch

Glad to here the interest in knives. Knifecenter is a good dealer with good service. I also like Discount Knives who sells the KISS for 19.95, I believe. I also do some knife sales from time to time, very limited to high end stuff. If you need something quickly or paid with a credit card, use Knifecenter or Discount Knives or one of the other numerous dealers with good service. If you want something that is difficult to find, springy, or you just want the cheapest possible price and dont mind waiting a few days, email me. This was not meant to be self promotion, for this is more of a hobby than a business, Anyway. Thanks a lot for all the responses. I am glad to have found this new forum.
Ian Sharp
[email protected]
Old October 28, 1998, 02:48 PM   #10
Richard Padgett

I have always viewed firearms and knives as complimentary companions. Having a knife handy is a natural thing. The benefit/curse is that knives are more socially acceptable than firearms. At work I can't carry my gun(s) I can however carry knives, and thusly carry 2.

Though I collected knives as a teenager I never could afford good ones but now I'm older and know better. As I only recently got back into knives my collection is just beginning: Spyderco Delica (60/40 serr.), and Gerber Applegate-Fairbairn Covert Folder (Double-Bevel)

But I've got my eye on: Benchmade Sentinel (M875), STIFF K.I.S.S., A-F Combat Folder, and, and, and... (Sorry just lost it there for a little bit. Need some coffee...)
Old October 28, 1998, 04:27 PM   #11
DH

Knives are GREAT stuff!
I carry two blades every day.
Feels strange if I don't have them always ready at hand.
Even carry them aboard airplanes.
I sometimes get stares at the metal detectors, but I haven't been stopped yet.
BTW, anybody know what a TEKNA Microknife is worth these days? I got it about ten years ago. I thought it was cute, but tempermental.
Also, since we have a 'Knife Channel' here, how about a 'Gun Channel' there? Potentially, it'll bring in more participants.
Old October 29, 1998, 12:13 PM   #12
Richard Padgett

Thanks alot! You people cost me money last night! Had to go out and get my Benchmade Sentinel w/ black straight-edged blade and blue Titanium liners. Beautiful!!!
Old October 29, 1998, 01:32 PM   #13
Rob Pincus

If you guys are ever passing through East Tennessee stop by the Smoky Mountain Knife Works, My wife was doing somework in nearby Pigeon Forge last year and I spent a couple happy hours walking through the store it is like a Bass Pro Shop or LL Bean for Knife lovers. (Of course, I had to buy a couple things while I was there...)
Old October 30, 1998, 02:29 AM   #14
ShadedDude

knife knife knife gun gun knife knife knife gun gun

In a pefect world, all guns would come with coupons for free knives.
And all knives would come with coupons for free guns.

And everyone lives happily ever after!
Old October 30, 1998, 07:55 PM   #15
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Most folks who fancy themselves "tactical" have a folder, probably most often clipped to their dominant-side front pockets. I know I do, and I feel naked without it. I actually have a keychain knife that I prefer to use for most chores I encounter.
Old October 31, 1998, 04:17 AM   #16
Rob Pincus

My benchmade fits perfectly in that extra little 5th pocket on my jeans. That is my prefered carry, leaves plenty showing to grab when/if it needs to be drawn.
Old October 31, 1998, 07:16 PM   #17
Rob Pincus

I usually lean towards brands I can trust, but today I saw a knife on a table that I thought was Benchmade auto with a finish I had never seen. (I've owned four of them. So I picked it up, pushed the button and the goo d strong benchmade design flung the blade out quickly and solidly, there was that familiar Spike blade, half serated, but with no butterfly. I flipped the knife over and there was a good metal clip screwed into the folder. I closed it and opened it again, then I asked the guy at the table, how much? $150? no. $125? no. $100? no. $40.00 yes.
I couldn't belive it, I mean this is an exact copy, but no markings, so I figure it is not a "fake" benchmade, like some fake Rolex watch or something. Of course, I talked the guy down to $35.00, . It was his last one, or I'd've bought some for christmas presents.

Anyone familiar with a NP3 colored Benchmade auto copy?
Old November 2, 1998, 04:58 PM   #18
Kodiac

You bought an AUTO knife for only $35.00?
=8-O <- shocked surprize!
Can I get you to be a shopping "agent" for me? I would love to have one too - but the ones I find are always over a hundred.

If you find any more - let me know. I am all over that!
Old November 2, 1998, 05:44 PM   #19
Rob Pincus

We passed it around yesterdaya nd all tried to find soemthing wrong with it. So far, "ugly silvery finish" is our best complaint.
That really doesn't stand up to the cost vs. cool lookingness test.

I bought the last one of those particualr knives, but there were AUTOs all over that place for less thana hundred. The Smith &Wesson Tactical Ops knives were there for around $65-85 depeding on the size, they are made by a big company, I forget which one. Some of the Paragons were under a hundred.

I know I have seen discontinued benchmade models under $100, too.
Old November 2, 1998, 08:33 PM   #20
Daryl Waldron

Darn,,, I just got a new Benchmade auto 3500BT and payed over a $100. Oh well,it,s only money. (sob sob) Next time i will come to Rob and ask first...
Old November 2, 1998, 09:40 PM   #21
ShadedDude

I've seen that knife...actually alot of them.
They were all over the gun show that I went to last...I passed it up...but I even remember one with a Smith and Wesson logo on it.
Old November 2, 1998, 10:13 PM   #22
switch

That 35 dollar auto you are talking about is a copy of the Benchmade spike.
Swamprat- dont sob- that BM 3500bt has real steel-ats-34 and is an all around terrific knife-one of my favorite autos.
The spike knockoff feels good and is decent-but you probably would not be able to get a lot of real use out of it (other than opening mail) before the blade went dull and the edge chipped. I could be wrong.
That being said, I do have one - silver like Robs that I will sell for $35 plus shipping. If interested let me know.
BTW-I am enjoying all the posts-thanks.
Ian
[email protected]
Old November 2, 1998, 10:15 PM   #23
Rob Pincus

The Smith Autos com ei ntwo styles that I noticed, one had a very big handle and large handgaurd thingies (what are they called??!!??). These blade lokoed very similar to teh gray ones that Benchmae puts out. The others were bright silver and had rubber pads on the handles, the button on these was flush with the surface of the handle and I found it hard to operate, seems like someone said that these were made by Boker.
I really liked the Paragon X-O mini-lite (or something like that) but the dude wanted $140 and the clip was on the wrong end, so I walked.
Old November 3, 1998, 10:14 AM   #24
Kodiac

Yeah, I'm interested...
If the blade itself is a bit flaky, can you switch out the blade with a better one with a little modifying?

Yeah, I want one.

Old November 3, 1998, 12:46 PM   #25
Rob Pincus

yes, you cna switch the blade. Make sue the guy who does it knows what he is doing. Not only the size, but the wieght must also me similar to the original, to get the right AUTO action.
I have a custom blade being built for my Benchmade "thin" Auto, the one that originally came with a Mel Purdue blade.