The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old November 14, 2011, 10:48 PM   #76
PH/CIB

I was trained in Viet Nam in combat by a bunch of tough old timers to never ever let my rifle out of arm's reach, whether eating, sleeping, going to the bathroom,,,anything.

That to me is good training for anyone carrying concealed as what good is a firearm if you can't get to it in time, even in the supposed safety of your own home, and I have a dog and an alarm system. I have carried concealed 24/7 ever since Viet Nam, over 40 years ago. By the way I much prefer a rifle or shotgun to a handgun.

The only time a firearm is not within my arms reach is when I am sleeping as I have nightmares and have my firearms just far enough away that I have to be awake to access them.
Life Member,,,Military Order of the Purple Heart, Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, Amvets, Disabled American Veterans, 173rd Airborne Skysoldier Association, National Rifle Association, Member,,,IDPA, USPSA, Iowa Sheriffs and Deputies Association,,Website http://www.handgunholsters.net
Old November 15, 2011, 07:06 AM   #77
federali

Kudos for PH/CIB

With all the continual discussions about nightstand guns, I'm glad to read that someone has sense enough to recognize the danger of having a gun within arms reach while asleep. Having to take a step or three to reach the gun insures against confusing a dream with reality or possibly confronting a family member returning late from a date or whatever. But then, Vietnam veterans tend to think alike
Old November 15, 2011, 08:49 AM   #78
dabigguns357

I live in layers 24/7,No i'm not paranoid just safe.

We have outdoor lights,4 night vision security cameras outside and 2 inside.We have 3 dogs that are really alert,and we live at the end of a road, 99% of the time i'll see you well before you get close enough to my house to be much of a threat.Every tv can be turned over to see the cameras with a click of the remote,and in the living room i have a small tv set up just to moniter cameras visually and audio.

I always carry at home for 2 reasons,for protection from home invasion,and i keep my doors open must of the year so i don't have to run a/c,the kids and dogs love it.I'm sitting here right now with my Glock 22,a robe,sweat pants,and a t shirt on.
Old November 15, 2011, 10:51 AM   #79
TexasJustice7

quote: Federali
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With all the continual discussions about nightstand guns, I'm glad to read that someone has sense enough to recognize the danger of having a gun within arms reach while asleep. Having to take a step or three to reach the gun insures against confusing a dream with reality or possibly confronting a family member returning late from a date or whatever. But then, Vietnam veterans tend to think alike
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, we think somewhat alike. I was in Vietnam in the Marine Corp in 1969.
But I did not carry a gun for 40 years, and only after the breaking point came. That was Major Hasaan at Ft. Hood, and thereafter I got my gun permit.

My guns are all (three of them), within arms reach of me while sleeping, and
I don't have nightmares, and have never claimed ptst. But there are no family members returning from a date to my apartment. If someone comes in accounced I can be sure it is a bg. My brother in law enforcement thinks people should have two shotguns. That is not for me. Three handguns is enough. The only time I feel unsafe is on federal property as was the case the other day, when a man approached my vehicle, and said "Give me a Thousand Dollars". Worse yet, he and I were the only two vehicles in the lot, and he was standing between me and my exit path. I said I don't have any money. After he went to his car another guy from a motel nearby got into his vehicle with him. I was trying to figure out if these guys were going to try and rob me, if I would be able to run him down with my vehicle, if he tried or if they attempted to break into my vehicle, which was locked but the window was rolled down about 3 inches. By then I had the windows back up,
the motor running and ready to exit. I had my disabled daughter in the vehiole with me, and if attacked I do not intend to surrender the vehicle. He turned out to be a harmless veteran, but it shocked me, and I did not have homeland security with me. I prefer my guns all within arms reach, but if I had nightmares, I might think differently. Afterwards, I thought isn't it ironic that the laws to protect us, actually may endanger out lives and our safety. Both turned out to be harmless veterans. But for a moment I was regretting that I am a law abiding citisen.
Old November 15, 2011, 11:49 AM   #80
FireForged

Have a firearm easily available? Sure. Carry a firearm on my hip while I am at home is just not for me. If bad-guy gets to me before I can get to the home gun, then so be it. I am not going to be "switched-on" while I am in my home. There is a mental channel that we are tuned into when we carry or involved in any serious task and it is not condusive to peace and relaxation.
Old November 15, 2011, 12:11 PM   #81
kinggabby

I would carry in home but since I have to go out side to smoke ( I know bad habit no preaching ) and not having my conceal carry yet ( filed and waiting ). I would have to take it off to go outside and on when I came back in . But with a child that is almost 3 I could not just leave it laying around . Once I get my CCW I would carry all the time I can.
Old November 15, 2011, 12:49 PM   #82
Onward Allusion

Quote:
kinggabby
I would carry in home but since I have to go out side to smoke ( I know bad habit no preaching ) and not having my conceal carry yet ( filed and waiting ). I would have to take it off to go outside and on when I came back in . But with a child that is almost 3 I could not just leave it laying around . Once I get my CCW I would carry all the time I can.
I thought you could carry on private property in OK...
Old November 15, 2011, 12:52 PM   #83
kinggabby

Quote:
I thought you could carry on private property in OK...
Sadly I live in an apartment no can do here.
Old November 15, 2011, 01:35 PM   #84
Stressfire

Quote:
Sadly I live in an apartment no can do here.
Is it not still considered private property provided that you are on the grounds?

Might need owner's permission...
Old November 15, 2011, 02:07 PM   #85
Onward Allusion

Yup - need owner's permission... Kinda opens up a can of worms...
Old November 15, 2011, 02:40 PM   #86
Stressfire

Quote:
Kinda opens up a can of worms...
Could, but you never know, he might like the idea of free armed security...
Old November 15, 2011, 03:50 PM   #87
TexasJustice7

Quote: Stressfire
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it not still considered private property provided that you are on the grounds?

Might need owner's permission...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All he needs though is a gun permit, after which he can carry them
without owner's permission, I think, just as it is in Texas. I have to conceal
once I leave my residence since I cross common areas. I wonder if any
apartment managers anywhere, try to restrict the right to own a gun in the
lease.
Old November 15, 2011, 04:13 PM   #88
kinggabby

Quote:
All he needs though is a gun permit, after which he can carry them
without owner's permission, I think, just as it is in Texas. I have to conceal
once I leave my residence since I cross common areas. I wonder if any
apartment managers anywhere, try to restrict the right to own a gun in the
lease.
Manager of apartments knows I have guns and has not tried to restrict. But does not want me to carry unless I am covered under law ( CCW )
Old November 15, 2011, 04:27 PM   #89
9mm

Quote:
In The Home Carry
Yes, pocket gun, not one in the pipe to prevent AD doing house work.
Old November 15, 2011, 04:58 PM   #90
Don P

Quote:
Yes, pocket gun, not one in the pipe to prevent AD doing house work.
Seems with regards to the above quote, the only way to have a AD is no holster and the other would be playing pocket pool while doing house work. If you choose to carry with an empty chamber my advise is practice your draw, racking of the slide, and getting on target and I'll add in record time!
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old November 15, 2011, 06:57 PM   #91
Nnobby45

Quote:
With all the continual discussions about nightstand guns, I'm glad to read that someone has sense enough to recognize the danger of having a gun within arms reach while asleep.
He stated a specific reason. Not everyone falls into that category.
Old November 15, 2011, 11:20 PM   #92
Doublea A

While I do not carry inside the house, I have a firearm available next to where ever I'm spending time. The comfortable clothes I wear around the house does not permit me to carry. Unless the intruder can all of a sudden appear in my house within 2 seconds, I will be able to access a firearm before he/they come him.
The most important thing for me is awareness of sound outside the house etc. I have other security apparatus in place to alert me because I hate surprises
Old November 16, 2011, 12:20 AM   #93
Onward Allusion

A Kel Tec P32 is 9.4 oz fully loaded. That's the same as a Ruger LCP empty. Unless one sits around in their underwear all the time, drop that in a pocket holster and you're good to go around the house even in a thin pair of running shorts. Anyone visiting your house will never think you're carrying.
Old November 16, 2011, 04:45 AM   #94
Brevard

I have a M&P.40c. Ntac (like the Raven holsters). Very comfortable. Only thing is I find that I would much rather have it out of the holster in the house. If I am in the living room or bedroom I have my Romanian Draco ak-47 in arms reach. Yeah it is an overkill. But, the sound IMO of the bolt racking back and releasing is pretty dang intimidating by itself.
Old November 16, 2011, 07:58 AM   #95
Don P

Quote:
i'm moving to a gated community for old geezers (not quite there yet myself-but close). only have to worry if demented, blood thirsty geriatrics take their geritol.then i will have to home carry.
Here in FLA a few years back there was a murder in a gated community so they can be safer but its not a given.

Quote:
With all the continual discussions about nightstand guns, I'm glad to read that someone has sense enough to recognize the danger of having a gun within arms reach while asleep. Having to take a step or three to reach the gun insures against confusing a dream with reality or possibly confronting a family member returning late from a date or whatever.
I understand the dream aspect of it and for the folks that did not experience the horrors of war night stand gun is a good idea. We all know what WE are like when being startled from sleep. Let all be there own judge as to what is safe or not
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old November 17, 2011, 01:10 PM   #96
Mikey the Barbarian

A few years ago, during Hurricane Rita, some hoodlums thought it would be a good idea to enter the only restaurant still open in a Southeast Texas city, brandishing pistols, and rob the place and its patrons. Turns out the place was open because the law enforcement folks had gathered there as sort of an impromptu "HQ" and rally point. The parking lot was full of LEO vehicles, from the city, county and state agencies. Our brave hoodlums apparently failed basic math as far back as kindergarten, and walked in with guns drawn, demanding money. Let's just say things didn't turn out as they'd planned.

The point is, you can't rely on a criminal to be even marginally reasonable or insightful, so why NOT protect yourself? Sure, it may not come up, but given the critical thinking ability of some people, what could it hurt?
Old November 17, 2011, 01:21 PM   #97
youngunz4life

Quote:
Our brave hoodlums apparently failed basic math as far back as kindergarten, and walked in with guns drawn, demanding money. Let's just say things didn't turn out as they'd planned.
That would've been a sight to see.

Quote:
The point is, you can't rely on a criminal to be even marginally reasonable or insightful, so why NOT protect yourself? Sure, it may not come up, but given the critical thinking ability of some people, what could it hurt?
I agree. I'm not banking on them leaving after they get what they want, and I don't want to be the one trying to figure out a gameplan because I didn't have my firearm in close proximity.
Old November 17, 2011, 02:15 PM   #98
VinnyT

I carry at home.

If I am upstairs doing something and someone breaks in, it won't do me a lot of good if the pistol is downstairs in a lock box.

Old November 17, 2011, 08:47 PM   #99
pax

Looks to me as if this one's run its course.

pax
Closed Thread