The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 6, 2022, 11:38 AM   #26
Jim Watson

Uh, no.

Apart from the heavy guns swing well in competition fashion I mentioned before, in my opinion it is purely commercial, people spent their gun money on repulsing Covid Zombies and the manufacturers are scratching hard to find something Longer, Lower, and Wider to sell.

I don't feel a need for a metal version of my S&W Plastic M&P. I preferred the Walther PPQ Match to the SF, I do not like the feel in hand of the S&W CSX, and I do not see the point of the Wilson Solid Frame... except as a search for a market niche.
Old November 7, 2022, 09:31 AM   #27
jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
Uh, no.

Apart from the heavy guns swing well in competition fashion I mentioned before, in my opinion it is purely commercial, people spent their gun money on repulsing Covid Zombies and the manufacturers are scratching hard to find something Longer, Lower, and Wider to sell.

I don't feel a need for a metal version of my S&W Plastic M&P. I preferred the Walther PPQ Match to the SF, I do not like the feel in hand of the S&W CSX, and I do not see the point of the Wilson Solid Frame... except as a search for a market niche.
Fortunately, some of us still have the metal version of S&W's current M&P pistols. And what I find most interesting is just a little change there is between then and now. The dimensions and control placement are almost identical. There are single stack and double stack versions where about the only real difference is whether you push the thumb safety forward or swipe the thumb safety down.

True, you can order the new ones without a safety which you couldn't do in the Wonder Nine era.

True, the polymer framed models are lighter than the all steel Wonder Nines but only about 3 ounces lighter than the alloy framed Wonder Nines.

True, the new ones are mostly striker fired while the Wonder Nines were hammer fired.

But only the weight difference between the polymer framed ones of today and the all steel Wonder Nines is really a big difference.

My Shield 9mm 2.0 on top of my 469 with the top of the slides and the backstrap aligned:

My 469 in my kydex IWB holster for my Shield 45. It actually snaps in place just like the Shield.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cx-right.jpg (294.4 KB, 96 views)