The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 6, 2022, 03:07 PM   #1
stagpanther

More 25 PRC diddling

Having set aside my 6mm BR norma ambitions for the time being (I will be back with a different barrel) I decided to return to work on my 25 PRC project which has also been somewhat frustrating.

The biggest problem is the very sparse load data that is out there--and what little is out there has not worked out very well in my set-up for whatever reason. It's a "hot number" and so far proving to be quite temperamental with even small variations in loads. My barrel is a 28" preferred barrel blanks 7" twist. Most of the loads I've seen seem to lean towards near full-capacity slower burning magnum powders, so that's were I concentrated most of my work. I'm also using genix LR primers (times are lean for primers, I suspect since these are NATO primers their brisance is quite high) with 133 hybrids.

Today I decided just for the heck of it to go to a faster burning powder (4350) at lower case volume and my barrel said "thank you, that's what I like." Took me about 225 shots around MOA or slightly under to find this, not to mention a significant start on the throat cutting which I put on par with my 300 weatherby magnum.

This is 346 yds with a pretty stiff left cross wind using my HD5 7 x 35 at the lowest setting of 7x. Without the shot at lower right the group would have been under .3--yah, I know, anything under 10 shots is lame, but I'll still take it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 133 hybrid 25 PRC 346 yds.jpg (86.3 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by stagpanther; June 7, 2022 at 05:47 AM.
Old June 6, 2022, 03:30 PM   #2
sako2

Nice work. I was wondering how you were making out with it.
Old June 6, 2022, 03:59 PM   #3
stagpanther

Thanks--I think I'm ready to do my first "serious" load development with this discovery.
Old June 6, 2022, 05:59 PM   #4
stagpanther

As a side note on blackjack products, it looks like they are pretty much out of business from what I can tell, and the money I prepaid for bullets gone.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1653925601100.jpg (239.6 KB, 61 views)
Old June 6, 2022, 08:11 PM   #5
taylorce1

I read that the other day, hopefully you don't have as much money as some others did in it.
Old June 6, 2022, 08:29 PM   #6
stagpanther

Quote:
I read that the other day, hopefully you don't have as much money as some others did in it.
My gut feeling was something was fishy back in November 2021. I've since learned another customer had made a prepaid order much earlier than mine and had already been cut off from further communications from BJB by the time I made my order.
Old June 7, 2022, 05:24 AM   #7
stagpanther

Logan's designs are still viable and an advance in the sport of shooting--I sincerely hope they re-emerge under the "guidance" of other more reliable companies.
Old June 7, 2022, 05:42 AM   #8
stagpanther

Another interesting observation--using the faster powder at below-capacity resulted in a significant reduction in fouling and much easier cleaning--not to mention the increase in performance. I'm not saying the speed of the powder was necessarily the determining factor in that, but that it was part of the right kind of balance.