The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 19, 2016, 11:43 AM   #1
jag2

New Lee primer tray

Following another thread I went to the Lee products page showing a new primer tray for the Auto prime and Ergo model. First I've heard anything about it. Anyone have any experience with them? Any improvement would be great. Went to you tube but nothing there. Hope someone here has tried one.
Old February 19, 2016, 01:52 PM   #2
mdemetz

They have a new folding tray for the Ergo Prime and the new Auto Prime which seems to have replaced the Auto Prime XR. Older auto primes look to need modified to fit the new trays.
Old February 19, 2016, 03:51 PM   #3
Ozzieman

I would stay away from anything to do with one of the “new” Lee primer tools.
I have one of the New auto and the Ergo and both are junk. There are too many moving parts (elevator for the primer are you kidding) and the trays will not stay together and cause primers to catch. If the primer does not make it into the elevator it’s hard to tell and you can lift the lid enough to cause the primers setting in line to tip. Then the lid will not go down.
Another bad issue is the handle. If you look at the photo of the new auto with the new tray the operator has his thumb on the handle and the tool lying on his fingers. This doesn’t work. Too little of the tool is actually in your hand and it will wear out your fingers. In the photo his middle finger is most likely not complete on the tool. Plus after about 5 min your thumb will fall off.
The palm of your hand needs to cover the handle and the rest of the hand wrapped around the tool. That photo is very misleading.
Don’t think I am bad mouthing Lee. My first original Lee auto prime lasted 30 years before I broke the part between the lever and the piston. That must have been its one weak point since that was the one part you can’t get from lee.
The new and ergo prove the point that “If it ant broke, don’t fix it”
After trying the new and ergo which I despise, I went on E bay and found 3 autos in new or very good condition ranging from 20 to 40$. I like this primer tool because I can set and watch TV or a movie as I prime cases.
I would consider one of these for the ergo but it would have to be cheep, VERY CHEEP and I would have to try it first.
But at this point I think I have wasted enough money on the "new" Lee primers.
Question: Just why did they come out with a NEW tray? To fix the old junk??

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old February 20, 2016, 01:28 PM   #4
rodfac

The tray was never the problem with the old Lee priming system...the round tray model. The problem was the constant breaking of the thumb lever's. I broke a half dozen over the years and Lee always wanted me to send them the pieces...I liked the feel and ease of using their tool, but paying for postage so they could examine the pot metal handle was too much.

I finally went to the Lyman..not as easy to use as the Lee, but it hasn't broken either and uses standard shell holders. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old February 21, 2016, 10:03 PM   #5
Ole Joe Clark

I have the Lee Auto Prime that I have used for at least 30 years. It was working good yesterday, last time I used it. I only use it for small primers though.

For large primers I use the RCBS bench priming tool that I have had about as long or longer than the Lee.

Leon
Old February 23, 2016, 10:28 PM   #6
jag2

Well, its only $10 plus 5 for shipping so I've got one on the way. I do prefer the Ergo when priming 45 ACP, that's when I have broken the handle on the old round tray model. I still buy the old round tray models on ebay. It will always be my favorite, just can't depend on them lasting too long.
Old February 26, 2016, 07:14 PM   #7
jag2

Very very nice. Its not just a tray but a newly designed loading gate. You get one tray and two feeders.(SP and LP) Really improved design all around, feeds consistently and you don't have to hold it at just the right angle. Well worth the $10 (+5 for shipping). I think every one that has a Lee XR or Ergo is going to love it. Well done Lee.