The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 9, 2013, 11:23 AM   #26
Jim243

Pretty much personal choice on sights. For indoor shooting there is nothing wrong with a red dot optic. I've tried them and tend to like scopes much better, like I said personal choice. A inexpensive 3-9X40 I think is a little more practical, 3 power for close in and 9 power for longer shots.

Nothing wrong with any of the suggestions given, but I am definitely a scope person, there are some nice 1-4, & 1-7 scopes out there.

Just a suggestion.
Jim

Old October 9, 2013, 11:45 AM   #27
rickyrick

Now that's a pig getter
Old October 9, 2013, 01:15 PM   #28
chriscw81

if you are like me and will not be using the gun for duty or partolling, only as a weekend toy, there is nothing wrong with the $100 red dot sights. they are very capable and hold zero well. they cannot take the beating an eotech or aimpoint can but they are good value. take a look at the primary arms and vortex red dots too, there are tons of videos on you tube to check out. $400+ is just too much $$ for a sight for lots of people and there's nothing wrong with that.
Old October 9, 2013, 02:29 PM   #29
Fishbed77

Quote:
I also dislike how the Strikefire on/off button obstructs my field of view around the left side of it.
This is a non-issue, since red dots are meant to be fired with both eyes open.
Old October 9, 2013, 10:15 PM   #30
Jmcdaniel0

on my hunting rifle right now i use a 3.5x10x40 scope I picked up years ago from Cabelas... I love it..
Old October 9, 2013, 11:53 PM   #31
ronl

The TRS-25 is a decent little sight. I have one on an AK and it has held up well so far. Midway has them on sale this month for $85. I like the small size and weight of it. The Vortex strikefire is a decent sight,too. A couple of my friends have them and really like them. I chose the SPARC for my lightweight AR build. They are very robust. The EOtech is my personal choice as far as red-dot/holo sights go, but they are quite a bit more than you want to spend. In the past year I picked up a Horus Talon 1-4 optic and have come to really appreciate it's value and versatility. It has become my favorite because of that. With the illuminated reticle it can do the job of any red-dot/holo sight with the added bonus of magnification if you desire it. Down side is the weight and relatively short battery life, but in daylight you really do not need illumination to reap the benefits. I mounted it on a Daewoo K-2 and it balances nicely on that platform. I'd seriously consider a 1-4 type optic because it,with the right reticle, can offer you one thing no red-dot can; precision.
Old October 10, 2013, 04:10 AM   #32
Tangentabacus

I guess what I meant is that for $200~ it's the closest you can get to an Aimpoint before you simply buy an Aimpoint. I mean that's my impression of what people have said anyways. I've not had much hands on with an Aimpoint so I'm not much authority to say, but I'll say the Strikefire is a damned nice red dot for $200
Old October 10, 2013, 08:28 AM   #33
1DrnkMxR

I wanted an Aimpoint PRO for my newly built AR so instead of just buying a red dot just to have one right now I saved when I could and bought the PRO. It took me about 4 months but now I have something I know will last longer than I will.
Old October 10, 2013, 08:41 AM   #34
campbed

Another vote for Lucid HD7. SOLID red-dot for ~$200.
Old October 10, 2013, 10:59 AM   #35
Fishbed77

Quote:
I guess what I meant is that for $200~ it's the closest you can get to an Aimpoint before you simply buy an Aimpoint. I mean that's my impression of what people have said anyways. I've not had much hands on with an Aimpoint so I'm not much authority to say, but I'll say the Strikefire is a damned nice red dot for $200
I agree that the StikeFire is the best red dot under $200 (though I've heard good things about the Lucid HD7, though I've had no experience with them). But if you can save up the extra $175-200 or so for a PRO... do it. The PRO is as good as any red dot on the market today, regardless of price. At under $400, it is an outrageous value.

And for a little "optic-****" here is a photo of my StrikeFire and PRO (PRO has optional rubber cover):

Last edited by Fishbed77; October 10, 2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old October 10, 2013, 11:33 AM   #36
DubC-Hicks

What about the new Redfield? I think its the Counterstrike? Looks very nice and I think its less than $200. Pretty sure its made in the USA too.