The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 15, 2013, 10:12 AM   #1
Warbirdf23

Taurus PT 111 problems

I bought a Taurus PT 111 G2 on July 4 from Woodland's World in Uniontown, PA. I noticed the rear sight didn't have paint in the top of the 2 dots but figured I would just paint it later. -Yesterday (July 14) I got ready to paint the sight and noticed that the rear sight is actually broken with the top edge (and half of the dot) hanging by a thread!

Taurus customer care said to send the sight back, and when the BACKORDERED rear sight becomes available in 8 weeks, they will start to process a repair order and eventually send me a new sight. I told them "You want me to have my NEW gun on my dresser for months without a rear sight?" Their answer was YES. They also can not notify me when the rear sight comes in, can not send it to me first and then have me send in the defective sight, etc.....

I told them I would be addressing this and the poor customer service on the blogs and the girl basically said, "OK, we don't care". This would have NEVER happened with S&W or Ruger! I also can't find a direct corporate number on SuperPages where i can call their general offices and ask for the manager of Customer Service. They hide really well from their responsibility!!!

I'll superglue the top of the sight back in place and use it as is until I get this issue resolved. Woodlands World, where I bought the gun, couldn't help either. -They told me to keep calling Taurus. Great customer service there too.
Old July 15, 2013, 10:25 AM   #2
NJgunowner

Unfortunately not much the store can do but sell you a new sight. It isn't their responsibility to pay for repairs. Unfortunately guns aren't like buying a tv, returns can be a lot harder depending on state laws etc.

There's a reason I'll never own a Taurus. I'd almost say just use this as an opportunity to get upgraded sights, but I understand why you want them to fix their problem.

Good luck, maybe try and call back and get a supervisor.
Old July 15, 2013, 10:38 AM   #3
g.willikers

Plenty of guns come with less than the best sights.
Why not just replace it with something good and get on with your life?
And avoid all the hassle of sending it back and being without it.
A new one from Taurus probably won't be any better, anyway.
Old July 15, 2013, 01:59 PM   #4
Warbirdf23

Bad sight

The point I am trying to make is they should stand behind what they sell in this country and this kind of service doesn't sell future products. Yea, I thought about buying Tritium sights, and may, but I want what I paid for (and I also want to be sure the gun is worth Tritium sights before I buy them)! And yes I am going to ask for a supervisor if i can ever get thru to them again. -I do realize that this is Monday and everybody is calling about their guns that blew up over the weekend.
Old July 15, 2013, 06:34 PM   #5
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
The point I am trying to make is they should stand behind what they sell in this country and this kind of service doesn't sell future products
Taurus doesn't exactly have a good track record for customer service or standing behind their product. The Internet is full of tales of their legendary customer service yet you still bought one. So did I once.

Consider yourself lucky that the rear sight is all that is wrong with it (trust me on this). Buy a new sight, install it and move on.

Blogs, posts and poor customer service haven't cost Taurus enough sales for them to worry about it. Replace your sight, enjoy your gun and if you prefer, don't buy from them again. Consider it a lesson learned.

Last edited by Kreyzhorse; July 15, 2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old July 21, 2013, 05:08 PM   #6
new guy 2

broken sights

I think you are being unfair to Taurus.
1st it may have been dropped at the store (probably), you could be just as mad at them.
2nd they have offered a solution, the part is backordered, what would you like them to do? They don't have the part, when they do you get one then you get a replacement. No manufacturer can provide something they don't have! S&W, Ruger, etc. could not provide a part for a replacement if it is on backorder.
I think your anger should be directed at your lack of inspection at the store, you noticed something wrong so you should have said "let me see something different" before laying your $ down. Had you done that, the store and the manufacturer would not be getting flamed by you now.
I'm not being a defender of Taurus, they take plenty of heat but in this case they shouldn't.
Old July 21, 2013, 08:27 PM   #7
CJ7nvrstk

I'll never buy another Taurus after my PT111 experience. It wouldn't go bang with every pull of the trigger. I sent it back, they replaced the firing pin. Still did the same thing when I took it to the range again. With what I spent to send it back the first time and having to look at doing that again I just decided to cut my losses and got rid of it anyways. Never did like the way it shot when it would fire.

Good luck with yours.