The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 26, 2013, 08:40 PM   #1
Semperfiabc

Mini 14 lack of cycling

In a nut she'll, my mini 14 cycles perfect with different brands of ammo and mags, but I put it in an ATI stock and it won't cycle. The bolt blows back maybe 1/4-3/4 of the way and sometimes not at all. The only time it cycled in the ATI was with tracer ammo I got at a gun show, it was loose ammo with no info on brand or grain. So am assuming the tracer was 62 grain or more, enough power to overcome whatever the problem is, but the 55 grain just won't cycle. In the original stock it works great. Any advice will be appreciated. It's a 581 series, has had approx 300 rounds fired, cleaned each time shot, gas port always cleaned.
Old April 26, 2013, 08:44 PM   #2
the rifleer

That's very odd. It should cycle without the stock in theory. To my knowledge there is no part on the stock that is critical to the function of the rifle. Does it fit snugly in the stock?

If you grab the charging handle and cycle it manually, does it move smoothly like it does in the original stock?
Old April 26, 2013, 10:47 PM   #3
DnPRK

The stock acts as a guide for the slide as it cycles. Factory wood stocks have a steel liner and factory plastic stocks have the guide molded into it.

If the ATI stock is pinching the slide, it will not cycle. Or if the ATI stock has do-dads intruding into the slide's path, it will not cycle.
Old April 27, 2013, 11:32 AM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

If it worked before, and now it doesn't, something is binding/dragging on the moving parts. Find it, and create clearance (and it may just need a couple strokes of a file or something like that) and it should run like it did before.
Old April 27, 2013, 09:28 PM   #5
Semperfiabc

There is a steel liner In the stock and shroud, no marks of wear or drag. I filed the few small burrs and spews I found inside the stock. Whatever the hang up is, it is overcome with the higher grain bullet, but it can't be much of a hang up, just a small something I'm overlooking. The operating rod is fairly smooth to about 3/4of the way back manually, then has a bit of hang up, but feels the same in both stocks.
Old April 28, 2013, 10:23 AM   #6
tobnpr

Notice any difference in the way the trigger group snaps into the action with the new stock?

If it requires excessive force to get it to snap in place, perhaps it could be binding the action just enough to cause an issue...just a theory...
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old April 29, 2013, 09:16 AM   #7
Semperfiabc

Yes the trigger group is harder to line up and and extra force needed to get it seated, I have thought about that as an issue but not sure what to do to correct it,, I may have to do some more filing in that area and see, but I'm afraid I may file to much off and not sure if it will make it to loose. Do you think a looser fit will cause problems . Thanks for the theory
Old April 29, 2013, 11:17 AM   #8
the rifleer

Again, you can put the trigger guard on without the stock. You need to fit it to the stock so that it isn't really tight. File just a little at a time until it fits.
Old April 29, 2013, 12:21 PM   #9
Semperfiabc

Thank you for the advise, I will work on it this evening, hopefully, and let you know how it turns out, thanks again
Old April 29, 2013, 03:44 PM   #10
tobnpr

Quote:
Do you think a looser fit will cause problems
Yes, it can. You don't want the action flopping around in the stock, it will cause accuracy problems. A file or sandpaper certainly works, judicious use of a Dremel will speed up the process. Go slow as mentioned- you can always remove more material, but you can't put it back.

Never a bad idea to epoxy bed the Mini action...especially if the fit is incorrect. Here's a link: DIY, or send it to Doc.

http://greatwestgunsmithing.com/mini...low%20(2).html
Old April 30, 2013, 07:08 AM   #11
Semperfiabc

Tobnpr, thanks, I have a polishing wheel for my Drexel, hoping it will do the trick
Old May 1, 2013, 08:19 PM   #12
Semperfiabc

Problem solved, seems the metal guide in the forstock was a tad bit to high, a little filing with the dremel and presto, cycled 100 rounds perfectly. I am Happy Happy Happy, thanks to all who posted advice
Old May 3, 2013, 08:50 PM   #13
tobnpr

Gotta love a Mini that goes "bang", every time the trigger is pulled. I'm sorry I sold mine a couple of years ago- but it was an older "skinny barrel" Ranch and even after some work wasn't as accurate as I wanted. Not bad- but I couldn't get better than a minute and a half. I need to find another.
Old May 3, 2013, 08:57 PM   #14
tobnpr

Gotta love a Mini that goes "bang", every time the trigger is pulled. I'm sorry I sold mine a couple of years ago- but it was an older "skinny barrel" Ranch and even after some work wasn't as accurate as I wanted. Not bad- but I couldn't get better than a minute and a half. I need to find another.

Yeah....an SBR Mini-14 with a can...tricked out in a custom aluminum chassis...

Now THAT would be

If you get the Target let us know about it. I, too am interested in whether the balancer is a gimmick, or for real...