The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 9, 2012, 10:04 AM   #1
combatink

1911 .45 with serial no 403444 questions

Hello and thanks for reading my post. So I finally got my hands on what I thought to be a genuine 1911 45. I've spent the last week trying to figure out what exactly I have here but no luck. the serial starts with the old "NO" with the O underscored. the slide says remington rand with syracuse ny usa on it. the left side of the lower assembly is stamped with united states proerty and there is a stamp over the left side magazine release with what appears to be a triangle over "S17". the slide is the rounded one with the early fixed sites and it has a "P" stamp in front of rear site. It has the original hand grips of brown plastic with the ring around the screws and has the checkered rear grip below the handle safety as well as a lanyard ring.the part of the lower where the barrel sits has a "c" stamp and "H" and "G" stamped by hammer. The barrel has a "P" stamp on the left side and a "F" stamp on right side. Thats it for what I can find for markings and this weapon is a totally new platform for me. Another thing that has me puzzeled is that the trigger, hammer and safety have a worn gold/brass look that I cant find any refference to. Any insight would be greatly appreciated by this old Soldier. Thanks for your time. Oh I have a bunch of pics but new and unsure how to add.
Old October 9, 2012, 11:06 AM   #2
sgms

Can you post a few clear pictures? Would make it a lot easier.
Old October 9, 2012, 11:28 AM   #3
polyphemus

No gold/brass accents on genuine Rands.Right over the sear pin on the right hand,what do you see?and on the left what do you see under the slide stop
and under the magazine release?and here's an often overlooked detail right under the lanyard loop,is it flat?by the way it is REMINGTON RAND INC.
I don't shoot mine I just admire it.1943 Pacific theater.
Old October 9, 2012, 12:56 PM   #4
RickB

Sounds like a classic "parts gun", assembled from a WWI-vintage Colt frame and WWII-vintage Remington Rand slide.
Old October 9, 2012, 02:54 PM   #5
combatink

Pictures of weapon in question?

So these are the pics I thought had the most chance of getting answered. Could the trigger and hammer and safety al have been an after market done to personalize the piece? The weapon is exceptionally tight and smooth through out function. By the apperance I assume someone enjoyed using it because some of the stamping is pretty worn. Thanks for all the insight so far. I'm trying to determine if I should be putting it away or just enjoy using it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4598 (800x600).jpg (54.6 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4597 (800x600).jpg (58.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4592 (800x600).jpg (69.6 KB, 35 views)
Old October 9, 2012, 02:58 PM   #6
combatink

pic

pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4594 (800x600).jpg (53.6 KB, 29 views)
Old October 9, 2012, 03:10 PM   #7
RickB

Looks like cold blue over original rust! Someone wanted to add some bling to their "shooter" (as opposed to collectible), and gold-plated the small parts. There's no way to "restore" a mis-match, but if you want to make it look more like its wartime origins, you could have the current finish stripped, and refinish in parkerizing.
Old October 9, 2012, 03:41 PM   #8
polyphemus

It's a shooter,take care of and learn from it.
Old October 9, 2012, 03:50 PM   #9
Kreyzhorse

As pointed out, it's been reworked killing any collectible value it might have had at some oint. Go shoot it and enjoy.
Old October 9, 2012, 04:47 PM   #10
laytonj1

Quote:
Sounds like a classic "parts gun", assembled from a WWI-vintage Colt frame and WWII-vintage Remington Rand slide
After seeing the pictures, that's exactly what it is.
The SN on the frame dates it to 1918. While I can't make out the slide, if it's Remington Rand then 1943 to 1945.

Jim
Old October 9, 2012, 08:27 PM   #11
combatink

questions answered

Thanks much to all for the insight on this piece. I've definately enjoyed the learning that has come with this piece. I never had a clue so many variations of the weapon system existed or half the history. Thanks again
Old October 9, 2012, 08:36 PM   #12
combatink

Magazine question

Back again, so this weapon has no magazine? where can I find the CORRECT magazine and how would I tell? I've been to the local gunshop but they're a bit clueless as I'm in the woods a bit. I've been told they make replacements but they don't function as well as a re-sprung original.
Old October 9, 2012, 09:28 PM   #13
RickB

Correct for the slide, or correct for the frame? Just about all you could want to know about USGI 1911s is here: http://coolgunsite.com/pistols/Magazines.htm
Old October 9, 2012, 09:43 PM   #14
polyphemus

Mr.combatink sir,the correct magazine for an M1911 is the GI type and for your
firearm any make should work,7 Rd Check Mate for example.The other two types are Wadcutter and Hybrid.Vintage magazines are not hard to find but for
your purpose it may not be worth the search Scovil and General Shaver are examples.Trial and error will eventually determine what works best there is a
great river of knowledge running through this forum and if you run into issues
you will no doubt find the right answers.