The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 12, 2012, 02:14 PM   #1
afolsomb17

Stuck fast pre-64 M70 Barrel

I have a question and hope there is some one who could help me. My problem is I cant unloosen the barrel of this m70 that I am going to blue. I have tried using the wheeler engineering vice barre woodl blocks in a 20 ton hydraulic jack as my barrel vice. I'm using also the proper barrel wrench. The problem is I've managed to destroy the blocks with the jack, I have used heat to the point I'm afraid I will color the steel. I soaked the receiver for 48+ hours in PB Blaster and the only thing I managed to do was spin the action and barrel around in the resin packed blocks. So does anyone have a suggestion. I really need to get these two pieces apart for bluing since the barrel will be glossy finish and the receiver matte
Old May 12, 2012, 04:36 PM   #2
Harry Bonar

bluing

Sir
You do not need to reemove your M 70 barrel to blue it!
I would never apply heat to an action to try to loosten the barrel reciever joint!
Harry B.
Old May 12, 2012, 04:47 PM   #3
afolsomb17

I suppose I could do the whole thing together. I was wanting to remove the barrel for a glossy hot blue finish and a more flat matte finish. I will be using bluing salts for the barrel and Pinkertons slow rust for the action. Unless some by can explane to me how to use one of these bluing process and achieve to matte/glossy affects.
Old May 12, 2012, 05:37 PM   #4
Hawg

If you want the receiver matte it's going to have to be bead blasted, so no biggie. Just protect the barrel while the receiver is being blasted.
Old May 12, 2012, 05:51 PM   #5
afolsomb17

Thanks for the input. The neat trick will be the 2 types of bluing. If I cant get these pieces apart then no worries if not... well...... I mean how does one blue one part in salts and the other slow rust????
Old May 12, 2012, 08:21 PM   #6
Hawg

Why do you want to use two methods?
Old May 12, 2012, 10:21 PM   #7
Slopemeno

Its not necessary to remove the barrel from the action to do a matte/glass finish.

Polish the barrel and action. Mask off the barrel with masking tape. Do the brushed or bead blasted effects you want on the receiver- I'd suggest polished flats/ and fine bead last the round surfaces. Unmask and blue.
Old May 12, 2012, 10:24 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

I am not clear on a couple of things. Why would you use wood blocks? And I am confused about the setup. You first seem to be saying you are putting the barrel in the blocks then you talk about a barrel wrench.

The normal practice is to use bronze or steel bushings in the barrel vise, then use a receiver wrench with an insert made specifically for a given receiver.

Sometimes (rarely, but some times) a barrel just won't give without use of excessive force (an experienced gunsmith will know when the force becomes excessive); that is when you give up on barrel removal.

It sounds like you may be at that point and further that you don't need to remove the barrel anyway.

"I mean how does one blue one part in salts and the other slow rust????"

You don't. You polish the barrel the way you want it. Then you bead blast or fine sand blast the receiver, masking off the polished barrel, and then tank blue the whole thing. The receiver will look like the original Winchester 70 receiver.

If you insist on rust bluing the receiver, you can polish and tank blue the whole gun, then remove the bluing from the receiver with bluing remover and rust blue it, which you can do without touching the blued barrel.

Jim