The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 28, 2012, 07:54 PM   #1
warbirdlover

Which is the best?

Okay, I just took alot of heat for buying a Hi-Point 45 ACP (even though I like it) so I have to ask...

In your experience, what is the BEST 45ACP pistol and WHY. Someday I might want a better one if I like shooting pistols.

And BTW, THANKS for the help....
Old February 28, 2012, 08:01 PM   #2
Herr Walther

In my direct experience, the SIG-Sauer P220 and H&K USP45 & Tactical were excellent firearms.

Quality second to no one, uncompromising reliability, and machinework, fit, and finish, all exceptional.

I will refrain from making remarks about the Hi-Point.
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
-------------------------------------
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
Old February 28, 2012, 08:05 PM   #3
bigStag

Best at what?

How about some parameters to narrow it down.

Accuracy
Home Defense
Conceal carry
Cost

What do you want to use it for?

If you like your "Hi-Point 45 ACP" thats all that matters, enjoy. You paid for it...end of story.
Old February 28, 2012, 10:00 PM   #4
warbirdlover

Quote:
How about some parameters to narrow it down.

Accuracy
Home Defense
Conceal carry
Cost

What do you want to use it for?

If you like your "Hi-Point 45 ACP" thats all that matters, enjoy. You paid for it...end of story.
Average accuracy, home defense, NOT concealed carry (size doesn't matter obviously since I own a Hi-Point ), middle of the road cost ($400-$700?).

Whatever you think is the best 45 ACP for the buck (but no 1911's)....

Just to give me something to think about. I know nothing of what's out there and no nothing of which is good. A Kahr TP45 kind of turns my crank...

Last edited by warbirdlover; February 28, 2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old February 28, 2012, 10:28 PM   #5
loose_holster_dan

i like the xdm 45. good capacity.

also cz 97b http://czcustom.com/CZ-97B-PolyCoat-45ACP.aspx
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old February 28, 2012, 10:41 PM   #6
RJay

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin? In other words this is a question than can have as many answers as there are readers of this post. The honest answer is, mine is the best!
Old February 28, 2012, 11:05 PM   #7
Discern

No 1911's???????? That reduces the choices a lot. I was going to say Les Baer, but they are also above your price range.

The one that works best for YOU - fits your hand an natural point of aim well.

I do not own a Hi Point handgun, but have shot them. Their accuracy is decent. One thing I feel is lacking is the balance (top heavy to me) and grip.
Old February 28, 2012, 11:16 PM   #8
chadk7

Try out an m&p .45. They can be had with or without a thumb safety. They have 3 different backstraps to custom fit the gun to your hand. And smith & wesson has the best customer service if you ever need to use it. And they are pretty darn accurate to boot
Old February 29, 2012, 12:09 AM   #9
warbirdlover

Reason I didn't want any 1911 suggestions is my brother had a real fancy Kimber and traded it for a Colt Gold cup which he says is the best 1911 out. I read about that Les Baer and another Eddie Brown (or something like that) where they want a bizzillione dollars for some reason or other.

I can't afford the Gold Cup so I'll look at newer designs...

Thanks for all the help so far. I realize there's going to be a bunch of suggestions but like I said.... I probably don't even know some exist.

Kind of fun to learn about all the choices we have....
Old February 29, 2012, 12:21 AM   #10
ClydeFrog

Top factory made .45acp models...

For 2012, I'd say the "best" factory made .45acp pistols are;
SIG Sauer P220 or the P220R in the DAK or SAO(single action only) format, the Colt Mtg Gold Cup 1911a1 series 70, the HK HK45compact in LEM(law enforcement modification).
Honorable mention to the Beretta PX4 .45acp, the M&P Pro series & Viking Tactical models, the Springfield Armory HRT(Operator) line & the stock Auto-Ord(Kahr) milspec .45acp 1911a1 pistols.

If I were an "operator" or needed a high tech well made .45acp, I'd tote either a HK45 compact(LEM) or a SIG-Sauer Carry size SAO P220R.
ClydeFrog
Old February 29, 2012, 12:25 AM   #11
BarryLee

I have a SIG P220 Carry which works very well IWB. The gun is accurate, easy to shoot, handles all ammo and is easy to service. There are also plenty of sources for accessories such as holsters, grips and various components.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old February 29, 2012, 03:18 AM   #12
TennJed

S&W M&P 45
Old February 29, 2012, 04:24 AM   #13
IMightBeWrong

How about one of the new P220 E2 models? I've seen a couple pop up recently.
Old February 29, 2012, 04:30 AM   #14
CombustibleLemon

To tell you the honest truth, I am a Hi-Point fan. And there are a couple of reasons. First of all their customer service is second to none. I have owned the .45 ACP and .40 S&W, as well as a 9 mm carbine. If you get a lemon, send it in to them and they will fix it for free. If your gun breaks, they will fix it for free. They will even upgrade it to the newest version for a small fee. Another reason is the price point. And in my personal experience the .45 offered by Hi-Point is a very accurate firearm. It is ugly as sin, but not a bad hand gun for the price. In my personal opinion, the merit of the Hi-Point is only measured by the person shooting it. If you like your Hi-Point as well as I like mine, and it functions well for you then listen to your own experience rather than someone else.
Old February 29, 2012, 07:02 AM   #15
bamiller

It is said that the Sig P220 is arguably the most accurate out-of-the-box pistol. I have one, among many others, and would have to agree.
Old February 29, 2012, 10:23 AM   #16
warbirdlover

Quote:
To tell you the honest truth, I am a Hi-Point fan. And there are a couple of reasons. First of all their customer service is second to none. I have owned the .45 ACP and .40 S&W, as well as a 9 mm carbine. If you get a lemon, send it in to them and they will fix it for free. If your gun breaks, they will fix it for free. They will even upgrade it to the newest version for a small fee. Another reason is the price point. And in my personal experience the .45 offered by Hi-Point is a very accurate firearm. It is ugly as sin, but not a bad hand gun for the price. In my personal opinion, the merit of the Hi-Point is only measured by the person shooting it. If you like your Hi-Point as well as I like mine, and it functions well for you then listen to your own experience rather than someone else.
You made my day!!
Old February 29, 2012, 10:10 PM   #17
mdThanatos

As others have said, it belongs to you, it is your choice, if you are happy with it then that's the best one for you.

My problem is I am indecisive with my firearms, I buy them, keep them for a few years and then want something else so I end up trading off.

I started on single action revolvers, first a .44-40 then down to .38, then went to .45 ACP then back to a DA .38 and now I added a 9mm.

Last year alone I bought 7 firearms but sold off 8 so go figure.

What you need to do is shoot the snot out of your HiPoint and see if there is anything you dislike about it, if so then you can search for a fix for it or something that might please you more.
Old March 1, 2012, 03:21 AM   #18
Bamashooter

I like my 3rd generation Taurus PT-145. Its not heavy. It holds 10rds. Its small enough to carry confortably. Although the heinie sights took some getting used to I have grown to really like them. I have owned the gun for around 3yrs and have not had one single malfunction and its shot just about every type of ammo there is. Sure there are better guns out there but I have really been impressed by this Taurus. I think it cost me around $375. I also have a couple hi-points. My C9 has thousands of rounds thru it and its a damn good gun for the money.
Old March 1, 2012, 01:54 PM   #19
Fishbed77

Quote:
Whatever you think is the best 45 ACP for the buck (but no 1911's)....
My pick for best bang-for-the-buck non-1911 .45 ACP would be a police trade-in SIG P220.
Old March 1, 2012, 02:17 PM   #20
Erikbal

Honestly this thread is going to be all opinions because a question like this can't give you an answer that's a FACT so there is going to be a LOT of different answers.
Old March 1, 2012, 02:20 PM   #21
Sparks1957

It's a fact: Sig P220s are the best out-of-the box .45 semiauto made.
Old March 1, 2012, 03:22 PM   #22
Mrgunsngear

Since this is purely an opinion based question, here's my list in order:

1. G21SF
2. Springfield Armory TRP
3. M&P 45
4. FNP 45 Tactical
Old March 1, 2012, 03:37 PM   #23
Coyote_Buster700

Quote:
I can't afford the Gold Cup so I'll look at newer designs...
It doesn't have to be a Gold Cup to be a good 1911. Look at a Springfield or a different model Colt. I've Seen Very nice Springfields around the $600 mark.

Quote:
"I don’t do the Weaver Stance because I figure by the time I’ve stanced I’ll done be Weavered." - ClayInTx
Old March 1, 2012, 03:58 PM   #24
jr24

For my personal opinion I haven't found a better, non 1911, .45 that can beat my police trade in Sig P220. I'm not saying its the best, just the best I've found so far, and I'm always lookin'!
Old March 1, 2012, 04:29 PM   #25
TunnelRat

The one on the left.
Maintain situational awareness