The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 22, 2011, 01:23 PM   #1
Doc Hoy

Went shootin

Was an absolutely gorgeous day.

Took along five revolves that I had never shot before.

Third Model Dragoon from ASM. Nice and tight but the revolver is alittle finnicky. The action does not know whether it wants to be loose or tight.

1860 Colt from ASP (Siles) Very nice. Shoots well but the wedge shoots loose. Gotta figure out what to do about that.

Griswold and Gunnison Sheriff's model This is the project revolver on whihc I shortened the barrel. It looks like I am going to need a .380 mold for this revolver. .375s are just too loose.

1858 Remington and .44 from ASP. This is the revolver that I refinished and worked over. (Short barrel) Was shooting about six inches right. I moved the front sight (Dovetailed sight) and brought it in. It is still shooting a little low. I put an extra tall sight on this revolver so there is some distance to go to bring the elevation up.

The real peach was the 1858 in .44 from ASP (Siles). Very good group with .454s. .451s openned the group up a bit. I was shooting the sprews up and switched over to loading the balls with the sprew down. I also backed of from 25 gr to 20 gr and the groups tightened up a bit. But not like the .454s. Well within two inches at 15 yards. If only it were a larger revolver. Too small for my hand. (Don't say it Mykeal....I know I should have taken the Rogers and Spencer.)
Old May 22, 2011, 09:28 PM   #2
mykeal

Quote:
(Don't say it Mykeal....I know I should have taken the Rogers and Spencer.)
You're taking all the fun out of it.
Old May 22, 2011, 09:55 PM   #3
TXGunNut

Gotta love those 1858's! Shot mine today too. Agreed about the grips but still a sweetheart. Will try the .454's next time.
Gonna have to check old threads about your project, sounds like fun.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old May 25, 2011, 02:44 AM   #4
Bill Akins

Hi Doc. You said....
Quote:
I was shooting the sprews up and switched over to loading the balls with the sprew down.
I've always wondered about the whole sprew up or down thing. I was always taught to load the sprew up. But I've always wondered about that. If the sprew is up, the explosive pressure behind the ball will theoretically exert equal pressure upon the smooth rear of the ball and aid accuracy. Okay, I understand that. But what I've also wondered about is if the sprew is up, wouldn't that rough surface facing forward where you would normally want the most smooth surface for aerodynamics....cause a DECREASE in accuracy from the forward surface of the ball not being smooth?

To my mind sprew up would create a difference in aerodynamics by the air pushing against an unequal front surface of the ball as it flies. But sprew down would cause the explosive pressure to do the same thing (only in reverse) on the back of the ball and create unequal areas of where the pressure exerts against the back of the ball.

So I've always wondered, which is better? Sprew up or sprew down?

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old May 25, 2011, 03:27 AM   #5
arcticap

IIRC, testing with rifles indicated that there's virtually no difference in accuracy whether the sprue is loaded up or down. If a person believes that there's an accuracy difference then maybe they should be shooting swagged balls. Or alternatively, they could trim the sprue off so that the ball has a more perfect shape.
Old May 25, 2011, 05:42 AM   #6
Doc Hoy

Right fellas

and I did not shoot enough on Sunday to form any firm opinions. I will probably stick with sprew down loading citing Bill's logic. I hope I never get anal enough that I feel it necessary to file all of the sprews off.
Old May 25, 2011, 06:11 AM   #7
Hawg

Get a Lee mold and don't worry about it.
Old May 25, 2011, 07:19 AM   #8
junebug_01

At pistol distances it makes no practical difference even if loaded sideways!
Old May 25, 2011, 09:33 AM   #9
Hawg

A Lee mold doesn't leave a sprue, just a small flat spot.
Old May 25, 2011, 10:04 AM   #10
Doc Hoy

Hawg

Most of my molds are from Lee. Just not the ones I was shooting on Sunday.

I like Lee molds for that reason and for the fact that aluminum molds come up to temperature quicker making less scrap.

Tnx,