The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 15, 2011, 12:51 AM   #1
Pvt. Pyle

Cleaning Brush Question

I was at the Bass Pro today and saw a pack of brushes, the plastic, stainless steel, and brass brush. I was wondering if one of these would be suitable to use in areas like the forcing cone on my revolvers and for the black residue left over on the front of the cylinder.

Or if there are better ideas to keep these areas clean.

Currently I have stainless revolvers
Old March 15, 2011, 03:13 AM   #2
10-96

I like bronze brushes myself, but I don't use any of those cleaners/solvents that attack or disolve copper. It makes sense to me that those types of cleaners will also be detrimental to my brushes. I wouldn't use stainless brushes as I'm not convinced they won't eventually damage the finish on my forearms. Plastic brushes just don't look like they really mean business. For cleaning liquids- I use Kroil and Ballistol. Yeah, may take just a wee bit more effort to clean to the same degree- but I know I'm not doing anything harmful to the metal, wood, finish, polymers, etc.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old March 15, 2011, 07:22 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

It's not recommended to use stainless steel brushes in firearms.
The stainless brushes are for a gunsmith to use in a very neglected gun in which you have nothing to loose.

The best way to keep the forcing cone clean is to buy a Lewis Lead Remover kit from Brownell's.
This kit includes a special cleaning head that instantly cleans the forcing cone, and does so without damaging it.
The cone cleaner works for both leading and carbon fouling, and is for use with both lead and jacketed bullets.

To clean the front face of a STAINLESS cylinder, the fastest and easiest way it to buy a "lead-away" type cloth.
This is a heavy cloth that just wipes the fouling off.
DON'T use on a blued gun.... it also wipes bluing right off.

Most gun shops sell lead away type cloths:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...S_LEAD_REMOVER
(watch the video on the page).

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=4..._REMOVER_CLOTH
(various makers sell leading cloths).
Old March 15, 2011, 10:22 PM   #4
Kframe

Ditto on the Lewis Lead Remover.
And also on the Lead-away clothes for STAINLESS firearms, you need to be careful of the nickel finishes in addition to the blued guns.

Bronze and copper brushes are like Goldilocks' porridge, not too soft nor too hard, just right.

-K