The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 13, 2009, 06:05 AM   #1
SLCBill

Overloaded 45 ACP

So I think I messed up.
I loaded 500 rounds of 45 ACP (minus 20 for something not sure) with the recipe of 8 grains of power pistol behind 230 grain Hornady XTP JHP.

DISCLAIMER-DONT USE THIS LOAD CONSULT YOUR LOADING MANUAL

Not sure why that sounded good to me at the time but according to Sierra thats a bad idea. Does anyone have anyother load data that might say this is ok but not advisable in the future. I just don't want to blow up my H&K USP.

Does anyone know what Quickload has to say. Any input would help. I would hate to have to "hammer" (bullet puller) all those bullets apart.

I think those first 20 were shot out of this handgun in the summer, just can't remember but I am glad I marked the box with the recipe.

Could this be considered a +P+ load or am I just kidding my self.

Last edited by SLCBill; November 13, 2009 at 06:07 AM. Reason: additions
Old November 13, 2009, 07:54 AM   #2
WhistlerSWE

Quickload says:

With a COL of 1.224" you get a maximum pressure of 23187psi and muzzle velocity of 1003fps.

The max pressure of the .45ACP is 21000fps, you are WAY over!

Time to find you kinectic bullet puller...
Old November 13, 2009, 08:18 AM   #3
Sevens

23,000 PSI is SAAMI max for +P in .45 Auto.

There exists no such designation as ".45 +P+" any more than there exists a .45 SuperColonRattler. You can name some poorly handloaded cartridge a .45 +P+, but it's nothing more than a silly nickname because there is no industry standard for it.

Shooting them would be a very bad idea, in my opinion, because unless you left a lot of details out, you did NOT work up this load... you simply made 500 of them.

And the Quickload results of 23,187 might be correct, but now you are putting your pistol, your hands, and your face in the pile and going "all in" that Quickload is accurate enough to not only make up for your poor handloading technique, but that it can also make up for all the variables that have not been entered to even come up with that number.

Bullet pullers are a handy tool at the bench for taking down a couple of rounds when you goof or when you simply want to take down a load. Using one to pull 480 loaded rounds would be like using white out to start over a 5-page document and write something entirely different on the paper.

On the other hand... the physical labor of doing that four hundred and eighty times might tattoo the experience on your brain so that maybe, just maybe, you think a little bit more next time... before you crank up your press.

Do I think these rounds will grenade your pistol? Maybe not... most pistols are designed to handle a load that goes slightly over max. Depends on the pistol and how accurate Quickload has estimated your loads and how lucky you are. But there certainly is a lot of risk with very little reward in trying it, don't you think?
Old November 13, 2009, 09:03 AM   #4
Foxbat

I have shot plenty of rounds in that stress category without any issues, so most likely it will be OK, but you better be safe than sorry.

Dismantling 500 rounds is not big deal, but do not use the kinetic puller with its mess. Get the collet puller and the job will become a pie. No banging, no mess, just cleanly pulled bullets. Goes MUCH faster too. I have done several hundred rounds, no sweat.

Before you do the wholesale pull, however, do the following: pull say, ten bullets, and reduce the load in five to 7 and five to 7.5 grains, then chrono them. That should give you very good idea on what your other rounds will do.

In reality your load might be below the book velocity and quite safe to shoot.
Old November 13, 2009, 09:07 AM   #5
spencerhut

My standard Defensive Practice Load for .45ACP is 7.4g Power Pistol behind a 230g Speer Gold Dot. Not a dangerous load by any measure. 7.6g is the Hornady Vol7 book max for a 230g XTP.
Speer seems to think 8.1g Power Pistol is okay with a 230g TMJ, but only 7.4g for the 230g Gold Dot.

If you want to be safe pull them. But DO NOT use one of those stupid hammer type pullers. Those are good for one or two mistakes, not 500. Get a real puller from Hornady, Forester or RCBS, if you decide to pull them. Then you can recover all the components and reload them all.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=851547

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=680804

Last edited by spencerhut; November 13, 2009 at 10:00 AM.
Old November 13, 2009, 09:32 AM   #6
Spammy_H

Rather than using an inertia bullet puller, you may want to invest in a collet puller for that particular cartridge - it'll go a lot faster than a hammer and may save your elbow.
Old November 13, 2009, 12:14 PM   #7
medalguy

Get the Forster collet puller. Very easy and fast for more than a few cases. Don't ask how I know this.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=419303
Old November 13, 2009, 01:07 PM   #8
snuffy

Yeah, pull 'em!

But save yourself some time, get the Hornady cam-loc puller. The RCBS and forster are much slower.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=851547

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old November 13, 2009, 03:46 PM   #9
Kyo

you are in the +p realm of pressure for sure
4. Be be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
Old November 13, 2009, 05:27 PM   #10
espnazi

I don't know much about reloading but the USP 45 is able to handle 45 Super so I don't think it would explode.
Old November 13, 2009, 05:32 PM   #11
Alleykat

Since at least one reloading manual says that 8.1 grains is safe, I'd not fret a lot about it. If you'd dropped a few tenths more, then I'd say fret some.
Old November 13, 2009, 05:33 PM   #12
BurkGlocker

Wooooo! Yeah, 8 grains is a little hot... My +p loadings were at 7.5 grs with a 160 gr Barnes bullet, I can only imagine what 8 would do behind a 230 XTP.
Old November 13, 2009, 05:44 PM   #13
SLCBill

Thanks for all your help, I think I did work up to that load with the previous 20 rounds. I usually do when building new rounds, I just can't find any paper work or notes on them.

Glad I labeled the box though. I had always heard the 45 ACP was a low pressure round, maybe thats why I loaded them that hot after working up.

Man if I am this forgetful at 34 I better start buying notepads and pencils now. I hate getting old and you all will say "your not even there yet KID".

Thanks for your help.
Old November 13, 2009, 05:55 PM   #14
SLCBill

I figured out where the load info I used came from, I was loading for a 45 ACP (Revolver) as per Sierra. Maybe I will just buy another gun rather than pull all those bullets. (Think I can sell that excuse to the wife...... I didn't think so either.)

Does anyone still make that gun. Sounds like time for Googleman. His only weakness is dialup and carpultunnel syndrome.
Old November 13, 2009, 06:26 PM   #15
Edward429451

Snuffy says the Hornady is better than the RCBS one? Hmm, I have the RCBS one and had occassion to pull ~2600 .223's with it (NO! not my bad ammo a gunshops, I bought a 5 gal bucket of rejects for 1 cent apiece!) ...and I could imagine a better one than the RCBS.... (2600 bullets & brass for 26 bucks!)

The RCBS did work though.
Old November 13, 2009, 11:04 PM   #16
Winterhawk56

I'm telling ya Snuffy is absolutely right! Bought the Hornady Cam-Lock and used it on piston rounds!
Also as stated here don't shoot the rounds, unload them.
Old November 13, 2009, 11:14 PM   #17
CPTMurdoc30

I would pull them. Believe me when I tell you that you don't even want to think about beating a hammer puller for 500 rounds.

I did 100 308 win 168gr SMK in one session my hand swole up like a spider bit it. I couldn't use it for 2 days and it was my important hand. It hurt for 2 or 3 days. Collet puller all the way if done right quicker and safer than hammer puller.
Old November 13, 2009, 11:29 PM   #18
Claude Clay

blackhawk 45 colt/45acp and a 38/357&9mm
are good to have when you play a bit outside the box.
and a jewelers 6x and 10x glass. besides the obvious over-pressure signs,
you can closely examine a gun for even the smallest signs of stress.

id fire yours through the black hawk and test for how destructive they are.
and wet white pages penetration.
have some fun

as always when reloading--observe all the rules.

Make a fire for a man and you warm him for the night
Light him on fire and you warm him for the rest of his life
Old November 14, 2009, 07:36 AM   #19
sourdough44

I spend a lot of time cross referencing before I go near the reloading bench. I don't have the data in front of me but it sounds like your best to pull them. I supposed super cooling them before shooting wouldn't be the proper advice.
Old November 14, 2009, 06:06 PM   #20
20nickels

The USP handles 45 Super. After you make some reduced loads and work up to these w/ a chrony to know where you're at.. shoot 'em! Or buy a S&W 625, you will not regret that.
Old November 14, 2009, 06:21 PM   #21
SLCBill

I looked into buying 45ACP revovler today. Couldn't do it had to go with the 460 S&W 5 and 3/8. Also tried pulling bullets with my uncles puller wouldn't do it looks like I am going to remember this hammering experience for a long time. I think I will only do 100 or so a weekend for a month. Let this be a lesson to everyone. Stupid hurts but at least I wont blow up my gun.
Old November 14, 2009, 07:54 PM   #22
20nickels

Maybe just use the 460 for taget pactice at the sky??