The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 28, 2009, 10:02 AM   #1
getupatree

QR mount options for AR15 flat top. Advice needed

What are good mounts? I want a qr option. Do they need to be super high?
I am new to ARs and replacing the junk NC Star from earlier post with a Luepold mark AR scope. Probably 3x9x40. It has a 1 inch tube.

Need to spend 100 or less if possible. Ready to buy today

Thanks.
Old November 28, 2009, 10:26 AM   #2
lmccrock

I have Warne QR rings on a couple scopes for a competition AR, one 1" and one 30mm. They go back on without having to re-zero, but I check anyway, just to be sure. Cabela's has them at $59 but I do not remember them being that much, so shop around.

The height depends on the scope bell size and the mount on the AR. Going straight onto the flat top receiver, you probably need high rings. Tricky part is getting the scope far enough forward. Usually that would mean some extension like LaRue but that is way over your budget.

Lee
Old December 2, 2009, 05:48 AM   #3
Desertguns

Tree-
I have a Mark AR 4-12X40 on my flattop, in an American Defense AD Recon S-mount 1", but that mount is about $150 now. Try midwayusa.com, run AR-15 flattop search for mounts, and you'll come up with about 5 pages of options. If you want a qr mount made of aluminum, I saw some starting around $60 (ProMag, Model 1) but if you want steel (and I prefer throw-levers as opposed to thumb-nuts or the like), then American Defense ($150+), Larue (170+) and GG&G Accucam (200+) are solid performers. Wilson Combat makes a "Lo-Mount" in steel with thumb-nuts, and they sell for $80 or so. Had one of those for a few years, until I found the AD Recon-S. It has a medium height, plenty of eye relief, and a good repeatable-zero. Just my opinion, but I'd stay away from those 20 and 30 dollar mounts, you get what you pay for...
Old December 2, 2009, 12:09 PM   #4
sholling

I normally recommend biting the bullet and spending $200 for a LaRue mount, however if you can't swing the best then look at Burris' AR-P.E.P.R.. What you lose going to the cheaper mount is 1 MOA repeatability when removing and reinstalling it on your rifle.