The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 26, 2005, 08:03 PM   #1
Scrcrow

Discolorations when cleaning brass

I decided to give Isosso brass cleaner a try the other night. I followed the directions, submerging the brass for no longer that 15 minutes. The funny thing was, some of my brass turned orange! It was only a few out of each batch. I varied my exposure time between 5 minutes and 12 minutes but I saw no difference in the results. Anyone know why a few of the cartriges turned orange? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance...
Old April 26, 2005, 10:13 PM   #2
cheygriz

I am personally very leery of ANY chemical brass cleaner. If you want to clean your brass, get a tumbler.

I suggest a Thumler's Model B tumbl;er, and then wash your brass with warm water and liquid Tide for 20-25 minutes. Quick, easy, uncomplicated, and very effective.

The vibratory tumblers work quite well also. While I prefer the rotary tumbler and washing, I wouldn't feel too put upon if all I had was a Lyman vibratory and corncob media. Both methods work well.
Old April 26, 2005, 10:24 PM   #3
Wildalaska

I have had real good luck with the Birchwood casey cleaner, although I only dip for 3 minutes

WildbutitumbletooAlaska
Old April 26, 2005, 10:27 PM   #4
hivel37

I have used IOSSO for very dirty brass about 6 - 8 times. I have never left the brass in solution for over 45 SECONDS. The instructions indicate to leave them in from 20 seconds to 5 minutes, watching for desired results, and to never leave them longer than this. I'd chunk those babies.
Old April 28, 2005, 03:15 PM   #5
shooter22

I use a vibrating tumbler and a mix of 50/50 corncob and walnut media with an ounce of Flitz tumbling liquid. They come out better looking than new.

Also, Flitz does not have ammonia in it.
Old April 28, 2005, 06:47 PM   #6
BILLY D.

I HAVE HAD GOOD EXPERIENCES WITH THE BIRCHWOOD CASEY CLEANER ALSO. I PROBABLY UTILIZE IT A LOT DIFFERENTLY THOUGH. I POUR IT IN MY ULTRASONIC CLEANER AND CHECK IT EVERY FEW MINUTES OR SO. I PULL OUT A CASE AND IF THE PRIMER POCKET IS CLEAN I PULL THE REST OF THE CASES AND RINSE THEM, BLOW DRY THEM WITH A HAIR DRIER AND THEY ARE DONE. SO WHILE I'M SCRATCHING MY WATCH AND WINDING MY A$$ MY CASES ARE GETTING CLEANED. ONLY OLD TIMERS WILL UNDERSTAND THAT ONE.

I HAVE BEEN RELOADING FOR OVER 50 YEARS AND HAVE HEARD ALL THE HORROR STORIES ABOUT AMMONIA AND BRASS. HOWEVER I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANY EVIDENCE OF THIS ACTUALLY HAPPENING NOR SPECIFIED AMOUNTS. HOW MUCH AMMONIA OR HOW LONG.

I HAVE BEEN USING BRASSO WITH CORNCOB MEDIA IN A VIBRATORY TUMBLER SINCE CUSTER WAS A CORPORAL AND HECTOR WAS A PUPPY AND THE LONGIVITY OF MY CASES EQUALS ANYONE ELSES. YES BRASSO CONTAINS AMMONIA. THERE ARE DIFFERENT KINDS OF AMMONIA IN DIFFERENT STRENGTHS. HOUSEHOLD AMMONIA BEING THE WEAKEST. I HAVE USED INDUSTRIAL AMMONIA THAT YOU BETTER HAVE A BREATHING APPARATUS ON WHEN YOU TAKE THE CAP OFF THE JUG. IT IS DEFINITELY A BREATHTAKING EXPERIENCE.

REMEMBER SAMPLES OF ONE DO NOT HAVE A LOT OF STATISTICAL VALUE.

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR.....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

HAPPY TRAILS, BILL

NRA LIFE MEMBER-1965

THE THREAD KILLER
Old April 28, 2005, 11:04 PM   #7
Scrcrow

How did I mis-read that!?!?!

Thanks hivel37! I don't know how I changed 5 minutes to 15 minutes! I will recycle that brass... just to be safe. I think I am going to avoid chemical cleaners. It seems alot of the posters here get by fine without them.

Thanks for the reply!
Old May 1, 2005, 08:26 AM   #8
bergie

Scrcrow,
No reason to avoid the chemical cleaners, just follow the directions
I use the Iosso cleaner and I have a tumbler. Started with the chemicals before I bought the tumbler and still use it. I don't need my brass to be tumbled shiney every time, but if I have 100-200 pieces that were laying in the dirt, it is going to get washed. After a couple of cycles of load/shoot/wash then I will tumble it.

bergie