The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 11, 2002, 11:45 AM   #1
warrior23

Thompson Hawken 50

OK,I'm new to black powder so here it goes.I picked up a Thompson hawken 50 cal kit.I have to build this gun still, but I would like to know what powder I can use and rounds.Does anybody have a good combination for this gun that I can work with.thanks
Old August 11, 2002, 04:02 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Any blackpowder (Goex, Elephant, Wang-o (sic)) will do. I would prefer 2F for a 50. As for combo, you have to find that out for yourself by testing loads and patches & powder charge.
Old August 11, 2002, 06:54 PM   #3
Jimmy Mac

The TC Hawken is a fine rifle. It will give you years of service.

The TC has a 1-48 twist. This is supposed to allow good accuracy with both roundball and conical bullets.

The average TC will be very accurate with patched balls as long as the powder charge is kept reasonable. A ball may not be accurate with very heavy charges.

The conical bullets such as the TC Maxi Ball will be more accurate with heavy charges in most TC rifles.
Old August 15, 2002, 10:30 AM   #4
jpm63

I started with one of these . . . still have it.

I stuck with Roundball as the recoil was so much more pleasant. What worked for me was around 70 grains of GOEX (Pyrodex worked too) and a pillow ticking patch lubed with bore butter very sparcely. Accuracy and deer killing powder were very good to 75 yards. At 100 yards I though the accuracy was not good enough for me to risk a shot. Higher charges with roundball opened up the group.

If you want to experiment with conicals, stick with full bore ones as the twist won't work with the Sabots.

JPM
Old August 15, 2002, 05:40 PM   #5
warrior23

Thanks everyone I finally got the kit together and now its just getting percussion caps and off to the range I go.
Old August 16, 2002, 08:59 AM   #6
scotjute

Warrior,
I have a TC New Englander .50 w/1 in 48" twist. I use 70 grains of FFF GO powder in it shooting 350 grain conical. Am using FFF because I already have it for pistol. With FF, you can load higher and it is the recommended powder for the gun.
Old August 19, 2002, 11:06 AM   #7
Teltech

Warrior23,

I have a TC Hawken and it's a great gun. Very accurate. I use 70 grains of FF and round ball too. Good choice IMHO.

Let us know how you did at the range.