The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 24, 2002, 02:28 PM   #1
speed

What prompted you to get your ccw?

Did you get it as soon as you where of age?Did something happen in your life that made you deside to"protect youself?"
Did you just decide that you can never be to carefull?
Well?..............Please explain.
Unfortunatlly here in NYC it's not gonna happen for me.
Old February 24, 2002, 03:07 PM   #2
WESHOOT2

WRONG QUESTION

Right question = why did I decide to carry gun(s)?

To project force. This (arrogantly) assumes that I am right.
Fortunately, I am. Still.
Old February 24, 2002, 03:11 PM   #3

For me, that was the wrong question because I got my CCW to save the $15 for the brady check everytime I bought a gun. I very seldom actually carry.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old February 24, 2002, 03:15 PM   #4
Snowdog

Seemed like the right thing to do (how's that for an answer ).

Brevity Is The Soul of Wit.

-Shakespeare-
Old February 24, 2002, 03:26 PM   #5
sebago

I was about 23 or so at the time I got my CCW and I regarded it as just another type of insurance. I'll probably never need it but it's nice to have. Nothing more complicated than that really.
Old February 24, 2002, 03:50 PM   #6
Dan Morris

As I sometimes go by the office on the weekend on the way to the range, Denver has a ordinance against any firearm in a vehicle. Car, me and weapon can be confiscated!( appelate court just upheld this law). Other than that, I do not regularly carry!
Wife carrys a 36 in purse after several problems in her parking garage at work......this was even suggested by PD in her area!
Dan
Old February 24, 2002, 03:51 PM   #7
Buglight

We have a small business that very atractive to the BG and at that time, I still be able to throw my arms and feet fast enough for defend then years went by, I've found out that I couldn't swing the baseball bat fast enough and decided to get something that I don't have to use lots of mussle to handle those BG and of-course the CCW come along with it. .
Old February 24, 2002, 04:11 PM   #8
chaim

I would like a CCW but I live in a state that doesn't allow it. If I could have one I would (and I may move for that 'privilege').

Why do I WANT one.

First I recognize that ANYONE, anywhere can be the victim of an attack and if facing a BG I'd rather have the option of defending myself should it come to that. 10 years ago a buddy and I were jumped by 5 guys who sent me to the emergency room, I thought I would die (as I was coming in and out of consciousness I was being kicked by 4 of them and I heard 'Kill the [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] lover' being screamed during my bouts of consciousness). Luckily I'm still here but not because of anything I was able to do but from them getting scared when people started showing up to watch and they ran off. Several of my friends have been robbed at gunpoint and they are only here because the BG didn't feel like murder that day and he didn't sneeze while he kept his finger on the trigger. A friend's uncle was murdered for simply walking down his street at the wrong time (incidentally, my friend goes the other way due to this, she has been swayed by the propaganda and is now a full fledged gun ban advocate- if they didn't have guns her uncle would still be here, and we all know BGs follow the law ).

Also, there seems to be a resurgence of anti-semitic attitudes near me and I have heard my fair share of comments and threats (when I used to wear my yarmulka everywhere). We all remember the attacks in the Chicago area a few years ago (if you don't a member of the 'World Church of the Creator' went on a shooting spree targeting blacks and Jews). Should I be the intended victim of an anti-semitic attack I'd like to be prepared.

My neighborhood is going downhill and I'd like the option of going where ever I'd like. Without a gun certain areas that as recently as 5 years ago were no problem are now off limits at night due to the greater likelihood of being mugged, beaten or shot. With a gun my safety would be improved enough that I could go to the neighborhood shopping center at night again and I wouldn't need to be so careful about where and when I ride my bicycle.

I believe that as Americans we have the right to keep AND bear arms and I'd like to exercise all of it without fear of arrest. Yes, we shouldn't have to have a permit to exercise our rights but that is another battle (that needs to be fought). I don't carry now, I will take a license and carry when I am living in an area that allows it. I will still fight the political fight to first get CCW here, then here or wherever I move I will fight the political fight to make a license unnecessary.
Old February 24, 2002, 04:19 PM   #9
Jack19

Because my safey, and the safety of my family, is my responsibility.

Relying on others, or the police who are under no obligation, to defend my life is a poor practice.
Old February 24, 2002, 04:20 PM   #10
Aion

Just got mine, at age 48. Why?

- I choose not to ever be a victim* if I can help it.
- Rights are like muscles: use 'em or lose 'em.
- It feels "right" -- doubt I could explain that to anyone, it's probably a "you have to be there to understand" thing.

Why not before?

- Because I didn't know they'd changed the law here 5 or 6 years ago.

Complaints?

- The places where you really need to carry are the places you're not allowed to (like DC, NYC, etc.) -- the connection is apparently lost on certain lawmakers.

- Aion

* Again. I was help up at gunpoint in Chicago back in '72. A few months later, my girlfriend was beaten and robbed. Then there were the various close calls over the years since.
Old February 24, 2002, 04:31 PM   #11
GrantLee63

CCW - Why?

I got mine as soon as Michigan FINALLY passed a sensible Issue-On-Demand CCW law in July of 2001. I wish I could have gotten mine when I was 21 instead of 42, but hey ..... better late than never!

I've never been in a situation where I really needed a CCW, but it is comforting to know that if I ever do, I will be prepared - that is, as long as I am in an area where I can legally carry .....

-Unknown
Old February 24, 2002, 04:32 PM   #12
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Having retired from 25 continuous years in law enforcement, I knew what was "out there." I intended NOT to be a victim and to take responsibility for my own safety.

Best.
Old February 24, 2002, 04:38 PM   #13
loknload

When and Why

When I turned 21, I could and I did because I could !
Because it was my right to do so even though I had to get a little piece of paper telling me so

Did that make sense?
Old February 24, 2002, 04:38 PM   #14
Ewok_Guy

Why?

Why not?!

---------------------
" I like big fat men like you. When they fall they make more noise!
...and sometimes they never get up."
-Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Old February 24, 2002, 04:53 PM   #15
Mike Irwin
Staff

Got it soon after my 21st birthday.

My Mother owned a business that was in a city with a fair share of crime.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 24, 2002, 04:54 PM   #16
RogerC

Because it is my right as a law abiding citizen to do so in my state.
Old February 24, 2002, 04:59 PM   #17
Scarborough

I was robbed by a drunk at gunpoint. My life was in danger due to the nature of the beat up H&R 999 that he had cocked and pointed at me. I had cover available but no place to run to. I determined it would not happen to me again.
Old February 24, 2002, 05:06 PM   #18
jlflegal

All of what has been said is very good. Let me add this:

Just got my carry permit in August. I now carry when: I'm out with my wife (her protection is MY responsibility), I/we are out at night, anytime I'm more than four blocks from my house. We have relatives in Detroit and I never have felt safe in that place, now I do. At least I have SOME chance, had none before.

Self defense is a God given right, my state government finally is allowing its citizens to exercise that right and so I do.

I WILL NOT be easy prey for the two legged animals that are increasingly out on the streets. We had a poor guy get beat to death last year in a bus station rest room. Just a couple of days ago the county announced they are releasing lots of county jail inmates because the facility is overcrowded (or those poor babies!) There are escaped murderers loose in Texas right now. One isn't even safe in a McDonalds (remeber the shooting spree a while back?)

I get questions from friends and co-workers that just do not understand the why. Am I afraid, am I paranoid? This is my answer: one never expects criminal attack, its unthinkable for law abidiing people. That's exactly why its called "un-thnikable". An auto accident is unforseen, so I have car insurance. A fire in my home is unthinkable, but could happen, so I have fire extinguishers (being a firefighter, I have seen what can happen and its FAST!). I believe I am healthy with no concerns, but I get checkups and have medical insurance. Does taking these precautions mean I'm afraid or paranoid? No, its simply exercising readiness as I understand the threat and am able.

My wife once asked me if I was afraid of fire. No, I replied, not when I have a charged fire hose in my hand I see no difference in being out in the world with my .38 snub tucked snugly on my belt under my ribs.

You don't feel cocky or Rambo when you carry. You have a quiet feeling of assurance and safety that can only come in this way.
If I knew ahead of time what danger lurks I would either not leave the house or I'd drive a Sherman tank instead of a pickup.
Old February 24, 2002, 06:16 PM   #19
The Terminator

I got mine when I was 21 years and 7 months old. I took a job as a security guard, part time. The company owner was a friend of the sheriff, and a retired deputy. I got my permit "on the spot" and I was promised that I would be put right in jail if any thing came back on my background check. That was 1984, and I have kept a permit ever since. When I moved to Georgia, from Alabama, I kept my Bama permit for several years. I got my Ga permit in 1994, due to the clinton crime bill, to save money on background checks. I let my Bama permit go the same year. Now, thank God Almighty, my permit is good in both states, which I traverse regularly. IMHO, no law abiding citizen should NEED a permit in order to carry a firearm either concealed or openly. Best -
John 3:16 (I hope to see You over there.)
Old February 24, 2002, 06:56 PM   #20
Jorah Lavin

Originally, mine was a political decision...

I wanted to "speak with the paperwork," be counted as one of the percentage of NC citizens who _might_ be carrying... to let the pols and the cons know that "we" are out here.

I wasn't sure, when I started the process, if I'd ever actually carry.

Now, I'm only disarmed when the laws require, and when I'm in the shower.

-J.

I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit... it's the only way to be sure.
Old February 24, 2002, 07:15 PM   #21
Chilidog

Because I could....

and I wanted to. Really, I was just rediscovering shooting when the law was enacted and took advantage of the right to carry when I choose. I don't trust the great state of Texas not to back up on CHL issuance, but in my experience they can be counted on (somewhat) to "grandfather" existing rights. As mentioned it sure speeded up gun purchases. good shootin',
dog
Old February 24, 2002, 07:58 PM   #22
arnie

Because in the Boy Scouts I learned to be prepared.
Old February 24, 2002, 08:04 PM   #23
pax

Got mine a year and a half ago, and can count on my fingers the number of days since then I've gone without wearing my gun.

Why?

Partly what Jorah Lavan said: I wanted the politicos to know we're out here. I've been politically pro-RKBA my whole life, though I'd never carried or even owned a gun before that time. But the last few years, I've been watching our rights erode, one by one, getting flushed down the toilet of "practical" politics. And it occurred to me that in addition to voting, this was one useful political thing I could do.

Then there were my children. I live in a rural area which should be low-crime. Turns out that my county has the highest population of pedophiles in the state. (No, I don't know why.) My boys are happy and healthy, and I intend to see them reach adulthood without any nasty physical or psychological scars if I can help it.

Then there was the rural nature of my neighborhood. On a good night, if the police aren't busy elsewhere, I could expect a 15 to 20 minute response time. I think 45 minutes to ... ??? ... is more accurate and realistic. We have no neighbors in screaming distance. If a bogeyman came, I'd have to deal with it myself. And realistically, I'd rather not have to use my bare hands.

Then there was the rural nature of my neighborhood. I like the people around here and feel some sense of responsibility toward them. I can't help but feel that most violent crimes take two people -- an aggresive, violent Bad Guy and a helplessly unprepared victim. I'm not a BG and I don't intend to be the victim either. This is my contribution to the safety of my neighborhood: I will not knowingly contribute to the next violent crime, not in any way that I can help.

Then there was a stupid fender-bender I got myself into: I was rear ended while turning into our driveway. No one hurt and our van only minimally dented. But (see http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...&postid=360542 ) the guy who was driving the other vehicle hopped out of his truck in a rage, and came at me screaming threats and obscenities. All ended well, but it shook me up and made me realize again that I have no neighbors within screaming distance.

Then there's the fact that (sigh) we're not rich people. I drive an old van and it breaks down a lot, sometimes when we're away from home. There's nothing like standing on the side of the freeway waiting for either a tow truck or Jack the Ripper to make you realize how very vulnerable a human being can be ...

As usual, I've written more than I intended to. But it's not as if there was one sudden epiphany, one moment of blinding insight when I suddenly realized, "Aha! I've got to carry a gun!" It was more like a series of thoughts and events that led up to a solid determination that, insofar as it was under my control, I simply would never again be helpless to protect myself.

pax

A nation as a society forms a moral person, and every member of it is personally responsible for his society. -- Thomas Jefferson
Old February 24, 2002, 08:48 PM   #24
Watchman

WHY did I get a permit ?

For one reason only...to become "legal".

Since I always had a pistol underneath my seat, I figured that I might as well have a permit to be legal. Since I carried anyways on occasion , I figured it couldnt hurt.

Personally, I think that requiring a permit and a fee and a background check to exercise a constitutional right is setting us up to fail.

For instance....the government ASSUMES that I am guilty until I prove myself innocent by submitting to a background check.

It fingerprints me "in case" I do something wrong. Does anyone here understand this or is it just me ?

Permits are nothing but "permission" that can be revoked for any reason that a governer or president deems nessasary.

Think we gotta have a permit ? Then you've been mislead and brainwashed like everyone else.

Look at the state of Vermont. They dont NEED permits. They can legally carry with out the criminal treatment.

Why cant we ALL be like that ? One reason ...our legislators,our judges and our citizens have been dumbed down to the point that they simply dont know any better. I cringe when I hear someone happily declare that they got their "permit".

I have a permit because I am a "lawabiding" citizen. I figured that things would go better for me if some dumbdowned cop figured out that I was totin.

There ya have it.
Old February 24, 2002, 09:03 PM   #25
RogerC

Vermont

Vermont is a "throwback" to an earlier time. Not much in the way of gangs, drugs, wannabe baggyassed pants little mofos looking for trouble.

Mostly people who repsect their country, it's laws, and otherpeople's rights and property.