The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 26, 2001, 06:15 PM   #1
ajacobs

I am lookin to buy a blown up 12 ga barrel to use in my hunter ed classes. It seams as if everyone has one but no one wants to sell one. Does anybody know where I can get one. Aaron
Old March 26, 2001, 11:19 PM   #2
DML

I have some blown up barrels, but I doubt that the boss would part with them. They have a "history". The best I can do is sell you a cheap barrel and you can blow it up yourself. :-)
Old March 26, 2001, 11:28 PM   #3
Bam Bam

Freeman's Firearms in Akron, NY has a blown up barrel sitting in the back of the shop. You want the phone number?
Old March 26, 2001, 11:52 PM   #4
ajacobs

Sure the number would be great as I am in NY. I have found allot of people who have them, it is getting them to part with them that it is hard. Aaron
Old March 27, 2001, 09:26 PM   #5
Bam Bam

The number to Freeman's is (716) 542-4429. Ask for Dennis. Akron is about 15 miles from Buffalo. Good luck.
Old March 28, 2001, 02:30 AM   #6
krept

Any specific reasons as to why these things are blown up? I know a fellow on another forum that was wondering if shotgun rounds that were submerged in water for 15 minutes or so would cause the barrel to experience excessive pressure and possibly rupture. My line of thinking was that if water penetrated the round, it would cause it not to fire.
Old March 28, 2001, 02:50 AM   #7
DML

Barrel 1. Cop uses shotgun to support himself while searching through ice plant. The muzzle is plugged with ice plant and dirt. Cop decides to shoot the plug out. Oops!

Barrel 2. Cop is training with Simunition and forgets to remove adapter. Loads rifled slug and shoots moose. Oops!

Barrel 3. Munitions maker is demonstrating shotgun grenade.
Grenade detonates while still in barrel. Blows last 4 inches off barrel. Oops!

The only injury was to the man shooting the grenades. He suffered a ruptured eardrum.

We have several other barrels that ruptured at the muzzle. These were very old, thin 870 barrels and we believe steel shot caused the problem.
Old March 28, 2001, 08:41 AM   #8
ajacobs

my general purpose would be to use it when I talk about ammo concerns and how a 20 guage will fit in a 12 guage barrel with a 12 guage round behind it and fire.
Old March 28, 2001, 09:02 PM   #9
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

I've seen a couple of 12 GA barrels after the 20 GA shell gets slid down the tube. I've noted that the barrel bursts about where the left hand resides..

Have you thought about getting a local PD to donate a seized 12 GA for destructive conversion to a training aid? They could retain the receiver after the explosion.

Giz
Old March 28, 2001, 11:21 PM   #10
DML

During a disscussion about blown barrels today I was reminded about something I did for a local hunter safety instructor. I cut off about 6" of the chamber end of an old 870 barrel and milled a 3/8" slot from the middle of the chamber to about 2" into the barrel. It was quite easy to show how a 20 ga. shell could enter the barrel ahead of a 12 ga. shell. That teaching device seems to have the desired effect.
Old March 29, 2001, 08:43 AM   #11
MikeFromIowa

The blown up shotgun barrel was one of the cooler things in my hunters education course. When I asked how they did theirs the guys said they blew up an old single shot "cheapie" after it was securly fastened to a bench and then they used a really long string to pull the trigger. I think milling a slot in the reciever would be a good tool as well...

--Mike From Iowa
Old March 29, 2001, 08:21 PM   #12
uglygun

I've got an old Damascus barreled shotgun I've thought about doing this to. I've had it looked over by people who would know and none of them recognized it as having much value. I'd just love to drop a 3 inch magnum into it, tie a VERY long string to the trigger, cock the hammer and get way the hell back out of the way to pull the trigger and see what happened.

As of now the gun is nothing more than a wall hanger. And if for some reason somebody was to break into my home and steal it, that's the very first and only gun I'd want them to take. I'd love it if a criminal were to make a "saw'd off" out of it and try to use it, blow a couple chunks of steel into his cranium while he's out trying to test fire it. That would be nice wouldn't it?
Old May 15, 2001, 11:04 AM   #13
Menehune

The best way I've found to blow up a barrel is to sit in a dove field on a good day. Two 870 barrels in two years. Repetetive firing at speed, is enough to heat the barrel to a point of cracking, and in worst case, peeling the end open like a bannana. Though the latter usually only happens when a crack is already present.
Old May 16, 2001, 09:06 AM   #14
AAshooter

I want to go hunting with Menehune!

Sounds good to me. Most dove hunts I have been on go through a box of shells . . . almost enough to take the chill off.
Old May 16, 2001, 12:13 PM   #15
old hawk

buy an old single shot for 40$ and do the old 12-20 kb.its impressive for sure.a while ago i read about a post on a shotgun that went kb from a spider in the bore believe it or not.at the worst in the field just slip a ballon on the barrel till ya get ta where ya going.then take it off.
Old May 16, 2001, 07:05 PM   #16
Benjamin

Might I suggest....

For those of you who plan to break your own, may I suggest that you put a sandbag, or mat of old tires over it?

To prevent little bits of shrapnel from finding you?