The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 22, 2012, 10:51 AM   #1
My Toy

Nikon Monarch African Riflescope

I've been almost entirely a Leupold scope user for the last 25 years (Vari X-3, VX-2, VX-3, FX-3). However I just bought a Nikon Monarch African 1-4X ($229.00) from SWAFA to use on one of my Marlin 1895GS (45-70) for shooting mild lead bullet loads. I am really impressed with the scope as far as clarity and brightness for that price range of scope. I have another 1895GS that I use for my kick-ass high powered jacketed bullet loads that I want to put a 1-4x scope on. Question is: has anyone out there used this scope on a heavy recoil rifle and will it hold up to a real thumping that this rifle would subject it to?
Old November 22, 2012, 05:02 PM   #2
K1500

I have one on an AR. I don't have a ton of rounds down range, but it has held up fine and I really like the scope.
Old November 22, 2012, 07:47 PM   #3
FALPhil

Send me yours and I will put 100 rounds of 9.3x62mm down range with it on the rifle. I will send your scope back with a report. I have been looking at that scope too.
Old November 23, 2012, 07:42 AM   #4
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Question is: has anyone out there used this scope on a heavy recoil rifle and will it hold up to a real thumping that this rifle would subject it to?
I have 3x9 Nikon Monarchs on my Ruger No. 1 45-70 Gov't and on my Savage 7mm Rem Mag. While not the the same scope model as yours, I've not had any issues with them and both hold zero very well. The Ruger is pretty light weight and can give you a good thump but the scope has never lost zero.

I don't think you'll experience any issues with yours either.