The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 10, 2009, 11:09 PM   #1
Fullthrottle

Media alternative(brass cleaning)

Was wondering what you folks thought about using other cleaners besides a tumbler with dry media. As I understand it ammonia is bad for brass. I have seen a few other options and wondered about them. Any suggestions?
Old November 10, 2009, 11:25 PM   #2
MDS

I add a capfull of Nu-Finnish car polish with my media. Works great,and safe for the brass.
Old November 10, 2009, 11:32 PM   #3
Shoney

There are some commercial cleaners, Birchwood Casey makes one as I recall. The NRA used to promotes a salt and vinegar solution.

However, any time you use acids (vinegar), bases (ammonia in Brasso), or salt on cartridge brass, you can get chemical reactions that alter the brass. The key element is time, how long is the substance in contact with the brass.

The scientific reason WHY NOT TO OVER USE any compounds with these substances is:

Cartridge brass is 70% copper and 30% zinc. Chemicals and resulting voltaic cells leeches the zinc from the brass at a rapid rate, the longer the contact time, the more that is leeched (key words). A small reduction in the % zinc will cause the brass to be brittle and can cause catastrophic rupture of the case.---Try this experiment: put a dab of Brasso on a case that is trashed. let it sit for an hour, then remove the Brasso. You will see the brass is now redish. This is the copper showing on the brass that has lost zinc.

If you use a little Brasso in the tumbler, it is diluted thru the media, and the ammonia is probably dissipated by evaporation, causing little damage to the brass. Compare the color of the well Brasso'ed brass with new. I would wager that it will be a slight bit on the coppery side compared to new.

Over long use of chemicals is spinning the roulette wheel. And with continued over long exposure, it's only a matter of time before a case ruptures.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old November 11, 2009, 08:35 AM   #4
Uncle Buck

My dad says a friend of his uses really fine sand to polish his cases! I would think that would be too abrasive. He is cheaper than Scrooge McDuck and has less than half his money. Dad said he uses the sand because it is free. I have asked my father to ask Walt what he gets for case life, but have not heard back from him yet.
I have added a capful of nu-finish or a capful of mineral spirits to my corn media. The results are amazing and definitely extends the life of the media. But eventually you have to replace the media.

Corn husk and walnut are the only things I have ever seen offered for tumbling media. I do not know what else would be out there for the reloader.
Old November 11, 2009, 10:49 AM   #5
Inspector3711

You can get ceramic media that is made for brass but I stick with walnut and corn media because they work well and I can get them cheap at the pet store. I'm a Nu-Finish car polish guy as well.
Old November 11, 2009, 01:12 PM   #6
troy_mclure

i tried some sand blasting media once, it was too heavy for the tumbler. tried coal slag grit once too, just left black dust over everything.

i get the $5 bag of walnut shells from wallyworld, add 1 cap of nu finish, and 2 caps of mineral spirits.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old November 11, 2009, 02:19 PM   #7
twice barrel

Fullthrottle,

If you just want to clean your cases, soak them in hot soapy water in a capped container, shake vigorously a few times, and then rinse in hot water the same way to remove the soap.

Shake'm out and let dry a few days.

If you wish to brighten them a little I soak them in straight vinegar for about 10 minutes before I drain them and then do the "soapy water then rinse" thing.

But to polish them shiny new nothing beats a tumbler - drum or vibrating; take your pick.

Regards,

TB
Old November 11, 2009, 03:41 PM   #8
Bud Helms

Kitty litter (dusty), Oil-Dri (Trade Mark), crushed walnut (I get crushed walnut from the pet shop nearby) and Dillon Rapid Polish 290.
Old November 11, 2009, 09:26 PM   #9
Fullthrottle

twice barrel,
Thanks, that is more what I was inquiring about, I am not ready to buy a tumbler yet (I know they are the "best" option) not yet in my buget. I have heard folks talk about diluting glass cleaner, but I think most types have ammonia, aparently bad for brass. Also some websites have a liquid cleaner for about 15 bucks or so.
I was wondering how well it works. I am just looking to clean powder and tarnish off brass, didn't know how other methods were.
Old November 11, 2009, 10:49 PM   #10
medalguy

Remember, CLEANERS will CLEAN your cases, that is, remove dirt and carbon. POLISHING AGENTS will POLISH the cases, make them shine like new (or better!)

Each will not do the work of the other. Dirty brass won't really shine because of all the grit in the media no matter how long it's tumbled. It will scratch the cases resulting in satin looking cases. Likewise, cleaners will just clean the dirt, tarnish, and carbon off the brass. It won't shine. so whatever type of appearance you're looking for, pick the appropriate media.
Old November 12, 2009, 09:16 PM   #11
Fullthrottle

Thanks medalguy,
I am only looking to clean off the brass, I do not care about shiny!
Old November 12, 2009, 11:23 PM   #12
troy_mclure

a friend of the family reloads with a lee loader, he uses chlorine free brake cleaner. he sprays it into the case ( .270 win), puts his finger over the hole and shakes for a few seconds. he then rinses in vinegar water.

he doesnt shoot much, but has been using the same 100 cases for about 15 years or so.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."