The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 28, 2009, 11:25 AM   #1
azredhawk44

Primer prices?

Out of idle curiosity, I was cruising gunbroker and noticed CCI #34 large rifle primers were going for over $100 a brick.

I've got a healthy supply of these things and have no need to either buy or sell them, and my reloading supplies in general are well buffered against the current insanity.

What are the most egregious, out of control prices you've seen on reloading components? This is the worst I've seen so far.
Old April 28, 2009, 11:33 AM   #2
45Marlin carbine

there's a thread on the high road about a pound of unique going for 120$ on gunbroker.
it's just going to add to this madness IMO.
I'm nearly out of sp primers and nephews hollering for re/handloads. they're going for around 40-50$ K maybe more around here if available.
got a K of lp and lr - enough for some time if need be.
Old April 28, 2009, 11:39 AM   #3
Doodlebugger45

I just bought 2000 SP and 1000 LP primers a couple weeks ago at my local store. They were priced at $39/1000. That's almost double what they were a year ago, but at least they had them. Powder prices have been running from $19-22/lb around here. Most stores have some powders but maybe not the specific one you wanted in my area. Interestingly enough, it seems like the largest stores are completely out of almost everything in this area. The little local stores in the small towns have a lot better selection.
Old April 28, 2009, 03:51 PM   #4
CTpistol

Just bought bricks of large Rifle at a local shop for $29.99 each.

Bought 2 Lbs of powder - $24.99 each.

I no longer shop online for anything ammo/reloading related. I will sit out and do other hobbies before I pay $100 for a brick of F'n primers or $500 for a case of .45acp. forget it.

Internet shopping has gone wild in the reloading area. I have a friend close by who shops online everyday, has backorders everywhere, talks about the famine, etc....

meawhile the things I bought above were within 10 miles of us.

:barf:
Old April 28, 2009, 05:34 PM   #5
yodarkritch

Primers?

Fran at Pioneer Distributors here in Florid was oen of the last distributors to NOT gouge her customers and she has been out for several months

Her show in Orlando in 2 weeks will be mainly reloaded ammo and some powder and NO primers

It's getting real groim out there

I am down to my last 500 small pistols, and about 1000 of large rifle and large pistol

NEXT will be lead

yodar
Old April 28, 2009, 05:46 PM   #6
Dan The Sig Man

Well the Bullet componets have already started... I have only found (1) place that had some in stock. Precision Delta and I just bought;

1,000 115gr 9mm - $68 (Not bad at all really)
1,000 165gr .40 - $98 (I guess that aint bad either)

I have about 1,300 SPP in stock here at the house, and I am not sure how long that will last me, but I am checking at my local shop EVERYDAY. I have only gotten lucky once. Paid $45/1,000 SPP. That is HIGH even for Fresno, CA

I have 1# of Ramshot Silhouette ($23 per Pound) and that will get me about 1,000 .40 Cal reloads. After that I do not know what I am going to do if this Componet BS does not clear up.

As far as I can tell and have heard from a few people that are in constant contact with CCI and Win. and Remington... The Primers are coming, they stated that they are catching up to the Factory Ammo backorders and tey are making Primers as fast as possible. As for Powder, it is the same thing. I called Alliant myself and talked to one of thier reps and he said that they are aware of the shortage and they are working 24/7 to produce powder, but he did say, that Manufacturers are getting thier stuff first, than resellers.
Old April 29, 2009, 04:38 PM   #7
James R. Burke

Does seem to be going in a order. Primers, then Powder, now I am seeing bullets getting hard to get, I guess next it will be the brass. Just dont pay the high prices. You guys are right on sticking to a certain price limit. Like I said before I dont mind paying alittle more to help out the small ma and pa shops but I am talking alittle. Seems like there the people that treat you good, and try to help you out.
Old April 30, 2009, 12:10 AM   #8
RamSlammer

Getting bricks of CCI SP here for $31 and Win SP for $34. Supply is spotty at best, but usually can find some given a week or two of asking around.
Old April 30, 2009, 02:45 PM   #9
tiberius10721

only suckers pay high prices for reloading components .one of the main reasons for reloading is keeping costs down.
Old April 30, 2009, 03:31 PM   #10
James R. Burke

You said it all perfect!
Old April 30, 2009, 10:10 PM   #11
PCJim

Of more concern is....

I am beginning to get concerned that the unavailabity of components, as well as ammo, may cause the general public to begin to lose their recent new found interest in their right of ownership of firearms, especially if they have no means to use them. Once that begins to happen, our ability to mandate (pursuade?) our legislature to uphold our constitutional rights may rapidly deteriorate. You get the picture.....
Old May 1, 2009, 01:19 PM   #12
tiberius10721

well Jim there are two main reasons for unavailability of components.#1 Obama got elected #2 military decided to restock all of their ammo so they get priority.Theres a lot of people who started reloading because they got scared they wouldnt be able to have ammo available for their new guns they just bought.Right now the ammo and gun factories probably are in overdrive as far as producing guns and ammunition.So when the hoarding stops there will be an overproduction of ammo related materials.I love to shoot about every other weekend but I dont want to use up all my centerfire ammunition so I bought a black powder pistol and do majority of shooting with it.always easy to find caps,blackpowder and lead balls for it and far more enjoyable and fun than my other guns and once you know the ins and outs of a black powder fire arm they can be just as effective as a modern day gun.
Old May 1, 2009, 05:10 PM   #13
latisimusd

Good read!!!

Supply Chain Management 101: on the ammunition shortage.
Monday, April 20, 2009 Filed in: Ammunition, General gun stuff, Shooting industry

Gunstores continue to be a never-ending source of hilarity. Walk into your local shooting emporium and ask why there is an ammo shortage, and you'll hear inane speculation coupled with a conspiracy theory or two. The reality is that the supply chain for ammunition is relatively inelastic, and and is easily overwhelmed by a sudden jump in sales.

As one industry consultant has told me, ammunition demand over the years has been remarkably predictable. Ammunition wholesalers know (within a certain margin of error) how many units of each caliber they'll sell in the coming year, and approve purchase orders for the delivery of that amount of product during that year.

Ammo makers, too, know with fair certainty how much they're going to sell to the wholesalers during that period, and sign contracts for the purchase of sufficient components to produce those products. They don't typically keep large stores of components on hand, as standing inventory is expensive, so components are delivered on a "just in time" basis.

The suppliers of those components do the same thing with raw materials; again, ammunition is a stable business, which allows them to forecast with pretty good accuracy the stuff they need to make the components they sell. This pattern repeats itself on up the chain, all the way to the people who mine the stuff necessary to make a single cartridge.

Along comes a huge, sudden spike in demand. Retailers all over the country are suddenly swamped with ammunition purchases, and quickly call their suppliers to get more. The first few calls are rewarded with replacement stock, but soon the wholesaler's shelves are bare too - their entire year allotment of ammunition is gone in just a few days.

The wholesaler calls the maker, and the same thing happens: all of the suppliers are doubling (or more) orders to get their dealers restocked, and the manufacturer is quickly stripped of on-hand components as he tries to fill those orders.

The dealers are out, the wholesalers are out, and now the manufacturers are out. But it gets worse.

The makers of the priming compound, primer cups, brass, powder, jacket material, and lead are suddenly swamped with desperate pleas for more product, and they in turn contact the suppliers of the raw materials for more. The entire chain of supply is empty, and everyone has to wait while all of the raw materials are gathered. (I shouldn't have to tell you that those folks have other contracts to fill before they can get to the rush orders - they're not just waiting around for next year's order from the ammo companies!)

That all sounds simple, but it just isn't. As an example, smokeless powder may contain a huge variety of raw materials: Nitrocellulose, Nitroglycerin, Nitroguanidine, Dibutyl phthalate, Polyester adipate, Ethyl acetate, Diphenylamine, 2-Nitrodiphenylamine, 4-nitrodiphenylamine, N-nitrosodiphenylamine, N-methyl-p-nitroaniline, tin dioxide, bismuth trioxide, bismuth subcarbonate, bismuth nitrate, bismuth antimonide, Potassium nitrate, Potassium sulfate, Talc, Titanium dioxide, Graphite, and Calcium carbonate. Each of these has to be sourced from a supplier, ordered, received, then finally compounded into smokeless powder. Think that all happens overnight??

Once the raw materials are finally in hand, the work can start. Lead has to be formed into projectiles, copper into jackets, brass into casings; priming compound is made from lead azide and/or potassium perchlorate, then the mixture combined with metal cups to make primers (they have to be made, too); the aforementioned powder has to be made (a huge job in itself.)

Once those components are ready, they can be sent to the manufacturer, who puts together into a finished round, then packages them appropriately. (Oops - we forgot that boxes and trays that have to be made and printed. That takes time and materials!) They're then shipped to the wholesaler, who (finally!) can ship to the retailer.

This whole process takes time - lots of it. If demand is high enough (which it has been), even the emergency orders placed all the way to the producers of the raw products may not be sufficient, and shortages will continue. That's what we're seeing right now.

The supply chain is simply empty, all the way up to the people who mine the raw materials. It's going to take time to replace all the links in that chain, and it's not because of the war in Iraq/Afghanistan, The Joos, FEMA, the CIA, a secret agreement to implement gun control through ammo availability, or any other silly theory you may have heard. This is a textbook example of what happens when an inelastic supply chain, composed with scarce "just in time" inventories, meets insatiable demand. It's not sexy or intriguing, but that's the way it is.

You know what's scarier? Your food comes to you the same way. Imagine what would happen if...
Old May 1, 2009, 05:51 PM   #14
Dan The Sig Man

Well I think the Shortage has decided to hit some other Componets... I ordered some FMJ's from Delta Precision and never heard a ETA so I called them today... Looks like they are about 3-4 weeks out on getting supplies to customers. I order 1,000 each of 9mm, .40 and 9mm brass. The lady said that I am looking at 3-4 weeks before they will be shipped my way. Guess there wont be any reloading in my household for that long atleast. I have EVERYTHING except FMJ's. Good luck everyone.. Looks like it might get a little Nasty out there. I REALLY hope it doesnt, but it seems like it is starting with other componets now. Oh, but I have 1,300 primers I cant use now....LOL the irony.
Old May 1, 2009, 06:12 PM   #15
Uncle H

Supply chain 101

Reading that makes my head hurt.
Old May 1, 2009, 06:15 PM   #16
.357 mag

Primer and powder haven't gone up here yet. about 26 bucks for primers and about 18-22 for powder.
Old May 1, 2009, 06:40 PM   #17
res45

Bought a lb. each of Bullseye and W231 $18 & $22 Got 1 K of Win. LR and SP primers for $28 per K so far around here seems like bullets are the only things that have gone up,but only a few bucks per 100 on jacketed.

I've been stocking up mostly on cast bullets for all my handguns. They average about $35 per 500 and I can pick up locally and not pay shipping.
Old May 1, 2009, 07:49 PM   #18
Maligator

Supply Chain 101

Very lucid, well thought out and valid assesment of the current status of things in the ammo world.

Things are going to get better. I bought my new reloader and hate to say that it is still in the original packaging waiting for things to settle down a bit. Don't get me wrong...I've opened it, taken it out...inspected it, repacked it and repeated that more than just a couple times ...but for now I have enough supplies (which I paid retail for a while back) to last until things settle down.
Old May 1, 2009, 08:20 PM   #19
harry carey

A friend called as he was at a gun show. he went there to get one lb of powder to load for this weekends match. no reloading dealers were there. went to the nearest gun shop. bought one lb of imr4227. he asked just for fun whats your price on primers ? $45.00 per 1000. limit per customer is one lb powder and 1000 primers per week. he told them they could keep the primers, he did not need them anyway. my question is... why would you ever set foot in that place again???
Old May 3, 2009, 09:00 AM   #20
42769vette

45 per thousand is a pretty good price right now.
Old May 3, 2009, 02:17 PM   #21
Whitworth

Ah, the Insanity of It All

If it wasn't for Chicken Little we wouldn't have
Henny Penny and Ducky Lucky and Goosey Loosey and Turkey Lurkey and Foxy Loxy.

Why it would be a totally sane world.

Some of the shooters on the forum might not be familiar with the above characters and have misspent part of their youth.
Old May 3, 2009, 04:39 PM   #22
Stargazer

I went by the local gun shop and they had some match magnum pistol primers for only $40 per 1K or $5 per box loose. I bought (500) of them just to have something. Went to the gun show the next day and there were NO primers whatsoever, so that $40 per 1K was starting to look pretty good. Went back 2 days later and ALL of it was gone. Bought powder instead. He paid me back $5 too much and disappeared into the back. I had to wait to give him his $5 back, but ya know what, it was the RIGHT thing to do. This is the same place that told my wife, as she was digging for her license after writing a check for me a Xmas present, that he did not need to see her license as gun people don't write bad checks and are honest. So I proved him right.

M70 Web Page
Old May 3, 2009, 04:47 PM   #23
frank_1947

wait it out put your order in with powder valley and .call them to order, I got 40,000 about 100 days ago when the news said obama won next day I was on the phone.