The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 8, 1999, 04:49 AM   #1
frogman6

Finally got to fire my own ........but have a couple questions to ask........I was using......5 grns of 231 (wanted to start off small).....185 tmj raniers......and win primers............all the rounds went off (all 9 )......but none would fully extract........only about 3/4 of the way........would working up the charge fix this (the gun always extracts w/ factory)?.......and also......these were a lot! more dirty than factory......and smelled much more pungent.......is that normal w/ reloads ?....or ids the powder not being burned fully ?......or am I just looking for problems ? .......thanks.

I can't wait to try some more

------------------
Star Trek nerd and proud of it

Old December 8, 1999, 10:13 AM   #2
Jack Straw

frogman6,

Without more information (what kind of gun and what caliber, what kind of factory ammo in what bullet weight, etc...) it would be hard (nearly impossible) to diagnose the problem, so don't try any solutions offered here until we know what exactly is going on.

Having said that, I have loaded for 9mm Sigs and a Remington 742 in .30-06 that experienced the same problem. My problem was solved by upping the charge to a level that was sufficient to work the action. So that is a *potential* solution for you, but again, I wouldn't try anything suggested here until we get more info on what the problem is.

Jack
Old December 8, 1999, 11:16 AM   #3
TheOtherMikey

I'm guessing you are loading .45 ACP 185gr semi-wadcutters. The 5gr load of 231 should be sufficient to work the action...it is on the light side but still enough. Check the function of your pistol to make sure it isn't a pistol problem. Also, make sure that the round is correctly sized and crimped...not over-criimped. I would recommend that you use a Lee taper crimp die. Hope this helps, Mikey

------------------
Retired, Broke, and In Need of Brass, Powder, and Shot. Will Work To Shoot!
Old December 8, 1999, 11:22 AM   #4
alan

Frogman:

A lot of information is missing.

ASSUMING, and you may have heard the definition of "assumptions" that you are talking about a 45ACP reloads, in a 1911 type pistol, the load you are using might well be to light to cycle the action.

Using a lighter recoil spring MIGHT help, what is the spring rating in your pistol now. The "standard" spring, furnished by factories is usually 16#, except for target models, which are lighter. The 16 # spring spring works fine with "ball" or full power ammunition.

The black marks on cases are soot, and the extraction/ejection problems are likely caused by "short cycling", insufficient recoil energy.

You could probably, with 231 powder and the bullets you mentioned, go to at least 6 grain charges without problems, depending on what you are trying to load. Other powders can also be used, Bullseye and or Red dot, to mention just 2.

In any case, consult a couple of manuals, they will likely disagree with each other, so average their middle of the road loads, AND PROCEED WITH CARE, WORKING UP SLOWLY, IN .1 GRAIN INCREMENTS. DO NOT EXCEES MAXIUM LISTED LOADS.

Reloading is not dangerous, if you use your head.

Old December 8, 1999, 01:35 PM   #5
Robert the41MagFan

Hey Frogman,

Bump up the 231 to about 5.2 or 5.3 grains. If you seek a cleaner powder, switch to Red Dot. It is much cleaner and smooth shock, even at full charge. Also, check the headspace and case rim. The case maybe belled a bit too much, make extraction difficult.

Robert
Old December 8, 1999, 07:35 PM   #6
frogman6

WOW !!!.....I can't belive that I left out the caliber (posting while half asleep is not recommended ) ....I should have said that I'm using a full size hk usp (never had a problem before)and I wasn't limp wristing it or anything.......yes......semi wad cutters.
it is possible that I might have over crimped the cases........thanks.

------------------
Star Trek nerd and proud of it