The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 19, 1999, 11:00 AM   #1
ga41

I just purchased a used 20" pistol gripped 870 police.Which magazine extention do ya'll recommend and which sight(home defense).I will be going to a full stock based on what I see here,so which one ? Thanks,glad I found this site

[This message has been edited by ga41 (edited February 19, 1999).]
Old February 19, 1999, 12:02 PM   #2
Rosco Benson

Simply replacing the pistol grip with a conventional buttstock ought to result in a serviceable home defense piece. If you prefer a more "tricked out" piece, you may wish to consider sending your 870 to Scattergun Technologies (www.scatterguns.com)and have them rebuild it into one of their factory-custom 870 models. They can fit the piece with their superb ghost-ring sights, magazine extensions, synthetic stocks, and so forth.

Rosco
Old February 19, 1999, 01:16 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Being leery of aftermarket items, I'd go with the factory extension. As for sights, ghost rings for fast target acquisition.

While I'm sold on the Vang Comp to counterbore the barrel (Scattergun is good too), I'm reluctant to put more money into a home defense shotgun. Remember, if you shoot somebody, even in self defense, the cops will take your gun as evidence and it may be years before you get it back.
Old February 19, 1999, 08:06 PM   #4
hksigwalther

I have a question concerning the post sale addition of an item on the "no more than 2 evil, death-dealing, heartattack inducing features" list. I was under the impression that, as the ga41 is thinking of doing, adding an extended mag on a shotgun that was sold with a vertical pistol gripped after the restriction is illegal. (And conversely, adding a vertical pistol grip to a shotgun that was sold with an extended mag is illegal.)

Am I wrong?

- Ron V.

------------------
Old February 19, 1999, 08:46 PM   #5
motorep

Ron, those restrictions don't apply to pump guns.